HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Thank you VERY MUCH

I want to pass along my thanks to you, I have been struggling with this for months. I tried your suggestion and have had complete control of the mouse ever since. I appreciate you taking the time to passing the solution on. :thumbup::)

Sounds like you have the WMR setting "Input Switching" on automatic. It tries to automatically switch between HMD and desktop, but does not work most of the time. That's why you should change "Input Switching" setting to manual. Then you can control the input selection by pressing Win+Y.

I want to pass along my thanks to you, I have been struggling with this for months. I tried your suggestion and have had complete control of the mouse ever since. I appreciate you taking the time to passing the solution on. :thumbup::)

You are welcome! I know how annoying the automatic input switching can be, but can be worked around easily. Spread the tip and have fun flying :thumbup::pilotfly:

Can someone tell me the best way to get DCS up and running? I am becoming impatient with the number of times DCS loads up but I lose the mouse pointer. I then have to exit all VR, restart WMR and try again.

Sometimes, I can just click Launch in Skate’s utility and everything is fine, but that is rare!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Can someone tell me the best way to get DCS up and running? I am becoming impatient with the number of times DCS loads up but I lose the mouse pointer. I then have to exit all VR, restart WMR and try again.

Sometimes, I can just click Launch in Skate’s utility and everything is fine, but that is rare!

Hi. The best method for me is:

All VR app closed (WMR, Steam VR)

Run DCS an then put your googles.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Hi. The best method for me is:

All VR app closed (WMR, Steam VR)

Run DCS an then put your googles.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Thanks for that. As I said previously, just launching DCS works sometimes, but not always for me. I still lose the mouse pointer on occasions.

Really frustrating.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

The only effective method that works 100% for me is to launch Steam. then from this window click the top icon, SteamVR which of course fires up Mixed Reality Portal and SteamVR app. Once settled, I start DCS.

I used to just start DCS and it would initiate SteamVR and WMR automatically but this stopped being reliable months ago with similar issues you describe plus sometimes SteamVR just not connecting to DCS at all. Probably because the DCS VR requisites fire up concurrently rather than consecutive and there are internal disconnects.

On a side note. with my system DCS 2.5.6 & Reverb there appears an improvement in sharpness inside and outside the cockpit with little effect on FPS, at least for me... All cockpits (Jets & Helos) pin sharp although the Harrier is more system intensive.

SIGBLOCK.png

First, make sure you have following setting in Mixed Reality Portal set to manual mode:

Sounds like you have the WMR setting "Input Switching" on automatic. It tries to automatically switch between HMD and desktop, but does not work most of the time. That's why you should change "Input Switching" setting to manual. Then you can control the input selection by pressing Win+Y.

Second, the startup procedure I use:

1. Start Mixed Reality Portal. At this stage you are usually asked to turn your head to calibrate the inside out tracking. If you fail to do this, it may result in degraded tracking mode with only 3 degrees of freedom.
  2. Start DCS from desktop. This will automatically start SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR applications.

Note: If at any stage you lose control of mouse or calibration seems stuck, just press the aforementioned Win+Y key combo to switch input between VR HMD and desktop.

Edited by Unclezam

The only effective method that works 100% for me is to launch Steam. then from this window click the top icon, SteamVR which of course fires up Mixed Reality Portal and SteamVR app. Once settled, I start DCS.

Yes, launching SteamVR first has worked every time for me so far, so thanks for that.

First, make sure you have following setting in Mixed Reality Portal set to manual mode:

Second, the startup procedure I use:

1. Start Mixed Reality Portal. At this stage you are usually asked to turn your head to calibrate the inside out tracking. If you fail to do this, it may result in degraded tracking mode with only 3 degrees of freedom.
  2. Start DCS from desktop. This will automatically start SteamVR and WMR for SteamVR applications.

Note: If at any stage you lose control of mouse or calibration seems stuck, just press the aforementioned Win+Y key combo to switch input between VR HMD and desktop.

Thanks but that is pretty much what I was doing. As from above, starting SteamVR first rather than Mixed Reality works perfectly every time for me now.

Here seems all its ok,... or not. With the update i have lost the smooth 30 fps, in 60hz.

I downgrade to 2.5.5 waiting some improvements in the core. With my super pc i cant handle 2.5.6.

You guys, have the same issues?

Seems that Oculus Users have no problems with this update

YouTube Channel

Update: MSI Z790 Tomahawk, i9 13900k, DDR5 64GB 640 MHz, MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio, 970 EVO Plus 1TB SSD NVMe M.2 and 4 more, HOTAS TM Warthog, Meta Quest Pro

No issues with 2.5.6 with me, maybe a few fps drop in certain circumstances but overall it is an improvement to my VR Reverb experience - all cockpit instruments sharp and no stutter with 40-55 fps >500' in the PG modern urban cities for example. Of course it is all very subjective and everyone's systems are different. Settings used below....

DCS settings

SteamVR

System

NVidea 2080ti maybe 10% OC

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU SKU

Processor Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, (OC 4.5GHz) 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 9007, 07/12/2015

SMBIOS Version 3.0

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Product Z170 PRO GAMING

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

No issues with 2.5.6 with me, maybe a few fps drop in certain circumstances but overall it is an improvement to my VR Reverb experience - all cockpit instruments sharp and no stutter with 40-55 fps >500' in the PG modern urban cities for example. Of course it is all very subjective and everyone's systems are different. Settings used below....

You don't use Motion Projection?

You don't use Motion Projection?

No. Changed to Beta and tried it some time ago but found no advantage with my settings - side stutters increased dramatically though which was a pain especially as I fly Helo's a lot. Removed the text edits and reverted to SteamVR stock.

One thing I have found is that system component variance within the community makes it very difficult to make meaningful comparisons. I have always got away with high settings and MSAA... many don't, even with the same GPU. DCS models have a big effect too.

SIGBLOCK.png

No. Changed to Beta and tried it some time ago but found no advantage with my settings - side stutters increased dramatically though which was a pain especially as I fly Helo's a lot. Removed the text edits and reverted to SteamVR stock.

One thing I have found is that system component variance within the community makes it very difficult to make meaningful comparisons. I have always got away with high settings and MSAA... many don't, even with the same GPU. DCS models have a big effect too.

Interesting. Most people - mysef included - feel MP is a must. Constant 45 frame rate and no horrible double images when moving (not turning) head left to right when looking at guages, etc. usually, a much smoother experience, but obviously, not for you.

Im having issues getting the MIC on my reverb to work.

Ive never used it before.

I have it turned on in WMR settings "when WMR portal is running switch to headset mic" The other two options are off

I have the ear phones removed.

In sound settings input is set to "head set microphone"

I get nothing in sound settings test mic

Noting in discord which im also new to

EDIT: It was disabled in windows privacy settings :Settings > Privacy > Microphone. I had to allow app access

Any ideas?

Edited by Gun Jam

Hi Gizzy!

Your SteamVR settings got me confused. My Percentage values are quit different to yours, whereas I also have the same HP-Reverb here. If set to 100% I get about 25XX x 25XX resolution. To get about 2160 I have to set it down to about 72%. Have you changed something in DCS or the WMR settings? I got those values with an old version of Windows, but with the current version, those values have changed a few month ago.

Regards

Skyfire

DCS settings

SteamVR

System

NVidea 2080ti maybe 10% OC

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU SKU

Processor Intel® Core i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, (OC 4.5GHz) 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 9007, 07/12/2015

SMBIOS Version 3.0

Embedded Controller Version 255.255

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.

BaseBoard Product Z170 PRO GAMING

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 31.9 GB

German Squadron "Serious Uglies"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Skyfire

Intel 10700K | SSD for system and DCS | 32 Gb RAM | Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2

No, exactly opposite. Everything is butter smooth including the side views. Never had double images and all cockpits instruments are pinsharp.

Colour me envious! I spent over 100 hours trying to get my Reverb to run like yours, without sacrificing image quality too much. Unfortunately I wasn't able to - can I ask what kind of graphics settings you're running, especially MSAA, Steam SSAA and shadows?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Colour me envious! I spent over 100 hours trying to get my Reverb to run like yours, without sacrificing image quality too much. Unfortunately I wasn't able to - can I ask what kind of graphics settings you're running, especially MSAA, Steam SSAA and shadows?

His settings are in the post 2 above this!

Hi Gizzy!

Your SteamVR settings got me confused. My Percentage values are quit different to yours, whereas I also have the same HP-Reverb here. If set to 100% I get about 25XX x 25XX resolution. To get about 2160 I have to set it down to about 72%.

The 'OLD' SteamVR settings slider I think I used to have to set 180% or thereabouts to get native Reverb res.... SteamVR auto updates my end frequently though...

On the stock SteamVR software (not beta) I get as shown below... with 2 'dots' suggesting min / max settings. As can be seen I go for the lower and this gives native Reverb res which, for me, relates to extremely good sharpness... again, for me, when trying higher settings I found no real benefit.

Hope this helps some...

2020-013.png

SIGBLOCK.png

Let me put another point of view.

I would always recommend using SteamVR beta, as it gets updated with new options and features regularly, sometimes weeks before they hit the release version. In addition, if there is something you don’t get on with, it takes less than a minute to go back to the release version, so, no big deal.

Although it’s true that 100% gives you native res, 150% is the default, which you can see from the little vertical line on the SS slider. (As an aside, 150% is equivalent to PD of 1.2 in DCS.)

I find it rather surprising that Gizzy sees no benefit running higher SS. To me, the difference between 200% and 100% is huge. Just look at the Hornet cockpit dials. The question is however, can your system take it? SS takes a lot of resources, and, like everything DCS VR related, it’s all about compromise and getting the balance that suits you. That applies to SS, MSAA, shadows, etc. The whole thing is very much down to the individual’s preferences.

What version of SteamVR are you running? Pretty sure that it is old as it was some time ago that the slider had to be reduced below 100% to get close to native, AFAIR. As Gizzy said, a few weeks ago, it required 188%, but now, it’s 100%.

Colour me envious!

In case anyone else has questions...

Below is a graphic of all the settings, PC, DCS, SteamVR, NVidea etc.

In addition I made 2 rough videos capturing the VR screen without a mirror so it is rough rough but the DCS FPS counter and the topography can be seen. Unfortunately I use a SW 3440 x x1440 monitor but I resized the vid to HD but you'll get the gist okay. Hornet / Harrier / Mi8 PG map built up, very low to a few thous etc...1 day 10am June so shadows will be generated, and the other 2359. FPS was basically the same day or night and for all 3 aircraft 40 - 45 FPS down low with an occasional dip but then I was 500 knots between the skyscrapers... and 60 - 70+ at a few thousand feet.

Anyway this is just to get an idea.

It is all very subjective... what is butter smooth to me may be margarine or cooking fat to others ha ha...

Here are the 2 miz files I used. Just 3 A/C in PG... simples... https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pey0gs7bp8pvke/graphic%20test.zip?dl=0

settin10.png

Hope this helps.... YMMV though....

Edited by Gizzy

SIGBLOCK.png

I've noticed when running SS at 200% I occasionally get a massive GPU overload. My frametime shoots up to above 70ms and fps drops to the teens and usage is 99%. I have to alt-tab out of the game and wait until the frames get back to normal and alt-tab back into the game. It doesn't happen with SS at 150%.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Also to note if you decide to run over 100% SS it's probably advisable to set PD to 1.0 in dcs VR settings option. Anything above 1.0 will add to your steam super sampling percentage which will cause issues specifically for performance.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I spent yesterday evening tweaking my system as I was unhappy with the performance in certain situations, one in particular was tanking my FPS - a Tarawa night launch in the AV-8, it was dropping to as low as 15fps, by the end of the night I had managed to get this to around 30fps with 2xMSAA enabled. :)

Frametimes at 90Hz are just too high even with motion reprojection as the GPU is still trying to hit 90fps, but failing dismally, and so it doubles up on frames to smooth things out. While this works well MSAA is still a complete no go as it's a frame rate killer at 90Hz, however without MSAA taxi lines and other objects are a jagged mess and while doubling up SS to 200% and enabling FXAA improves things quite a bit my 2080 Super is still struggling with frametimes at 90Hz.

So, I dropped to 60Hz and sitting in the Hornet on the Stennis deck (daytime) I was hitting 55-60 fps with 2xMSAA enabled (also enabled MFAA in the Nvidia control panel, which improves the MSAA performance hit) and the jaggies are now greatly reduced.

Other settings I reduced were:

• Water to medium
  • Draw distance to medium (high has a big impact on fps)
  • Clutter/grass to 0 (has a massive impact on fps even on the Tarawa - why?)

Another big impact - up to 4ms frame time, is just turning on the MFDs and cockpit lighting in the AV-8 on the ground, I was pretty shocked at this but I guess there isn't much that can be done about it. Changing the cockpit res down to 512 saved about 1ms frametime.

I just hope that the performance gains being touted for the new Nvidia cards are true, as we desperately need better performance in VR!

NOTE:All of these tests were in a stationary aircraft (with the exceptions of the Tarawa at night), but there were still other aircraft moving around in the background.

Intel Core i9 9900K 5.0GHz · Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER · Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO · Alienware 34" AW3418DW · Corsair 2TB M.2 NVMe · 64Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · TM HOTAS Warthog · VPC ACE-2 Rudder Pedals · VPC V.F.X Grip · VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip · Virpil WarBRD base · HP Reverb Pro · 3x TM MFD · Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC · 2x LG Throttle Quadrants · LG Switch Panel · LG Multi Panel · LG Radio Panel · Buttkicker Gamer & JetSeat

Nick Jennings

No, exactly opposite. Everything is butter smooth including the side views. Never had double images and all cockpits instruments are pinsharp.

Seems like you use similar settings as I do. Not exactly same but rather close.

I recently raised the supersampling to 120%, I could to this without any noticable drop in frame rate when using reprojection( still almost never below 45).

I have bo ghosting and no stuttering at all.

The raise to 120% gave me clearer/sharper cockpit instruments etc.

I found 150% to do very goid things for sharpness but it was an a cost innframe rate so it wasnt possible for me at current settings.

One tip, when I started testing SS above 100% I made the settings both on the general steamVR setting and also on the per application specific. This multiplied the SS, 150 on both resulted in 225%, and low frame rates. Feels like a bug, and important to know when testing settings.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe