Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC ×
Forum Maintenance between 04:00 - 06:00 UTC

HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I seem to be losing 6 DOF a lot these days. Usually, it starts off OK, then some time into a DCS session, I lose it. Only really started happening fairly recently.

Does anyone know what causes this? I thought it might be lack of light, but I don't think that is the case? PSU being overloaded?

I used to lose mine a lot, but my lighting isn't optimal. Lately by looking straight up a the ceiling I've been regaining tracking instantly. Might be worth a try. I used to get frustrated and shake my head back and forth (sometimes gaining tracking, and sometimes just making me dizzy - LOL), but lately looking straight up has been working perfect! Sure miss the tracking on my Rift S, but there's no way I could go back. The Reverb resolution is king!

I seem to be losing 6 DOF a lot these days. Usually, it starts off OK, then some time into a DCS session, I lose it. Only really started happening fairly recently.

Does anyone know what causes this? I thought it might be lack of light, but I don't think that is the case? PSU being overloaded?

Have some light point available for Reverb to orientate on. I happen to have a LED 'daylight' lamp om my desk, I put this one on low and Reverb has something more to focus on.

When I lost 6 DOF, I swivel, if necessary >180°, you see the screen 'click' when it re-catches 6DOF.

At startup I do this with the Reverb in my hand until it catches MRP room in 6DOF, same entering DCS when I notice Reverb lost 6DOF, then recenter (button bound).

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

As it is inside out tracking, light is important. To be able to rule out light, use it with much lights on. Its not impossible that it is something else but just to be sure.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Thanks guys, I’ll try your suggestions.

The reason I doubt it’s light is I am using it in the same conditions that I had no trouble with before, i.e. monitor and bright desk lamp just to the side of the monitor.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

.....I doubt it’s light is I am using it in the same conditions that I had no trouble with before, i.e. monitor and bright desk lamp just to the side of the monitor.

Had a similar issue a few weeks ago... turned out the 'environment' 'home' setting was adrift.... it was for whatever reason way off to the left... it can be checked by firing up STEAM VR and putting on the headset.... you will see the night sky and ground base lines... the arrow on the middle base line should be pointing straight forward in relation to your controls. If not, (mine was way off to the left) when in DCS you reset reset VR view 6DOF will be limited or even reduced to 3DOF

Reset 'HOME' from within Windows MIXED REALITY PORTAL under 'MORE' then 'SETTINGS' then in the windows settings screen > 'ENVIRONMENT' then 'RESET MY HOM'E and foll0w the instructions.

Worked for me.... YMMV

SIGBLOCK.png

How is the HP Reverb VR Pro headset in DCS? Looking to get into VR

Also what GPU should I get for it.

Best thing going. 9700k and 2080ti.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I would hold off on buying a 2080ti right now unless you absolutely have to. I'm running it fine with a 1080ti and a 8700k.

The 3080 cards are coming this spring I think. I'll be upgrading to a 3080ti when it's announced.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I would hold off on buying a 2080ti right now unless you absolutely have to. I'm running it fine with a 1080ti and a 8700k.

The 3080 cards are coming this spring I think. I'll be upgrading to a 3080ti when it's announced.

Well, I've got a 2080ti that will likely be up for sale once 3080ti's are out. Though to be honest the supply chain issues in the computer/semiconductor industry from the Wuhan Flu are likely going to absolutely screw up lots of up coming products.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

How is the HP Reverb VR Pro headset in DCS? Looking to get into VR

Also what GPU should I get for it.

I say, the best GPU you can afford. At least 32Gb RAM and the CPU with the highest single core speed you can get.

In gaming, good H/W have been a must. For VR thats even more the case. For DCS+VR thats the law. :doh:

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

I say, the best GPU you can afford. At least 32Gb RAM and the CPU with the highest single core speed you can get.

Yep, agreed about the CPU. That is why I stick with my 8700K. In single core, there is hardly any difference between it and the 9900K, and it is about £100 cheaper. I owned a 9900K, but I could hardly tell any difference in DCS, so I sent it back.

I also prefer it to the 9700K, as, again, not much difference in the single core performance, and the 9700K doesn't have hyper-threading. That makes no difference in DCS, but in apps that utilise HT, it does. Same price, so I would go for the 8700K.

Just my opinion!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Yep, agreed about the CPU. That is why I stick with my 8700K. In single core, there is hardly any difference between it and the 9900K, and it is about £100 cheaper. I owned a 9900K, but I could hardly tell any difference in DCS, so I sent it back.

I also prefer it to the 9700K, as, again, not much difference in the single core performance, and the 9700K doesn't have hyper-threading. That makes no difference in DCS, but in apps that utilise HT, it does. Same price, so I would go for the 8700K.

Just my opinion!

If I didnt do other things that actually motivates the cost of a 9900, I’d might consider a cheaper high clock CPU.

That said, reaching 5.2Ghz without any issues with the 9900KS is really good for DCS...

If I didnt do other things that actually motivates the cost of a 9900, I’d might consider a cheaper high clock CPU.

That said, reaching 5.2Ghz without any issues with the 9900KS is really good for DCS...

Of course, that is true, but so is a 5.1GHz 8700K. The single core performance is only slightly behind the 9900K and only about 10% behind the KS. All real benefits of the 9900 series are in the extra cores/threads, 8/16 compared to 6/12.

As I said, when I had a 9900K, I could perceive no difference in DCS performance.

Hi all, sorry - I'm about to pull the trigger today on ordering a Reverb. One last question regarding the Pro vs Consumer version:

I don't really care about the short cable as I'll never likely use the $3K backpack. So my understanding is the only other difference is the face cushion. Pro has the wipeable leather face cushion and the Consumer the foam. Presumably because the Pro will have many different users. Which one is more comfortable to wear for long periods? I'm assuming the Foam faceplate?

Are there any other differences I'm missing?

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

I lied, I have a 2nd question. Reverb is fixed hardware IPD (70mm) but adjustable via software? Is this correct? If so, is the SW adjustment adequate for someone around 64-65??

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Hi all, sorry - I'm about to pull the trigger today on ordering a Reverb. One last question regarding the Pro vs Consumer version:

I don't really care about the short cable as I'll never likely use the $3K backpack. So my understanding is the only other difference is the face cushion. Pro has the wipeable leather face cushion and the Consumer the foam. Presumably because the Pro will have many different users. Which one is more comfortable to wear for long periods? I'm assuming the Foam faceplate?

Are there any other differences I'm missing?

The support contract is different for the pro, they will ship you replacements and then you ship back the defective unit.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I lied, I have a 2nd question. Reverb is fixed hardware IPD (70mm) but adjustable via software? Is this correct? If so, is the SW adjustment adequate for someone around 64-65??

The hardware is hard set at the average IPD at 64 for men and 62 for women. Then the software can "move" the screen image, which can sort-of adjust the IPD.

70mm IPD is this guy

tenor.gif?itemid=5532862

The support contract is different for the pro, they will ship you replacements and then you ship back the defective unit.
In the US at least for me they didn't do that. I had to tell them that this was part of their contract. I guess it depends on who you get and how knowledgeable they are. I had to send mine back and order another.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

In the US at least for me they didn't do that. I had to tell them that this was part of their contract. I guess it depends on who you get and how knowledgeable they are. I had to send mine back and order another.

Heh. HP was all set to ship me a replacement ahead of my sending my defective unit, until they found out I had the Pro version. They then connected me with the professional/business side of the house, and they agreed to send me a replacement cable after we did some troubleshooting via e-mail. Took a month to get the new cable because they didn't have any in stock. They were definitely inconsistent with how they were handling issues.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Good to know, thanks.

What about the face pad? Which is more comfortable? I thought I recall people complaining about the leather not being very comfortable to wear for extended periods. True or not?

Good to know, thanks.

What about the face pad? Which is more comfortable? I thought I recall people complaining about the leather not being very comfortable to wear for extended periods. True or not?

Yes...some were complaining about the leather. It may be ok for you. Myself, I choose not to go with leather.

Ok done. I can't wait to see the resolution jump!

On a related note, I have an HTC Vive Pro. I've read where the hand controllers are compatible with the reverb. How do I set them up? I won't use them for DCS at all, but I will use them for FPS games on occasion.

Thanks all for the help.

Ok done. I can't wait to see the resolution jump!

On a related note, I have an HTC Vive Pro. I've read where the hand controllers are compatible with the reverb. How do I set them up? I won't use them for DCS at all, but I will use them for FPS games on occasion.

Thanks all for the help.

I don't think it's possible to use the Vive Pro controllers with the Reverb, do you have a link to where you read it? :)

But - I had the HTC Vive Pro before and upgraded to HP Reverb - and you really have something to look forward to!! For me it was night and day when it came to being able to read the instruments in the cockpit.

I have the NON-pro version. It doesn't say "consumer" version the box, but it doesn't say "Pro" either - so I guess it's the consumer version then. In the beginning I didn't like the padding of my headset. It almost felt like it was scratching the top of my face. But, after I had used it several times, it softened up and now feels ok. One thing you will appreciate with the Reverb over the Vive Pro is that it is lighter. Vive Pro is heavier. But perhaps with more pleasant padding overall.

Enjoy!

(And turn down that SteamVR supersampling that you probably are used to with your Vive Pro - it will kill the framerate of your Reverb and it really isn't needed anymore--- And, set up motion reprojection in the "default.vrsettings" file : )

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.