HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Just picked mine up, and had a bit of fun just setting it up, leaving DCS for last. My rig is only a 3700x with a standard OC'd 1080 GTX but it seems to be quite smooth without switching on reprojection though may change during moments of high activity. Not too fussed right now because all I want to do with my modules is to take off, fly a circuit and land.

Funny thing - at first I wasn't too impressed with the clarity as it was a bit blurry. It wasn't three hours later that I realised I have yet to remove the blue protective films from the lenses! And yeah I can definitely see the difference between this and the Rift S and PSVR - even with my lowly rig.

Modules: F-14A/B | F/A-18C | M2000C | AV-8B | Hawk | L-39 | A-10C | C-101 | UH-1 | Normandy | Supercarrier

I'm new to the game and am thinking of pickup up a VR headset. I have a couple of questions. Sorry if they've already been asked. It's a very long thread!

I would like to play on one of the warbird servers. From what I've seen, it's mandatory to be looking in all directions, especially behind, all of the time. Videos I've seen of people wearing VR headsets show them making exaggerated movements. For example, if you want to look behind you at 6 o'clock, instead of turning your head to around 4'oclock and moving your eyes to cover to the last part, as we do in real life, it seems that in VR you have to turn your whole body so that you can point your head at 6 o'clock. Does that make it difficult and fatiguing when you are constantly looking behind you in the game?

My second question concerned a video I saw on youtube. The guy was pretty negative about the Reverb. His conclusion is "It's not a good option for you, even if you are just using it for simulators.". I wondered if the video had been discussed here.

This is the video.

re 1) its easier to turn your head in track IR than it is in VR. VR Head tracking is more realistic, but and i cant stress this enough you get more context/SA because you are building a picture around your body as you would in real life

as for 2) this is the same guy that raved over the comfort and resolution of the O+... my experience differs from his

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Having had a Pimax 5K+, Index & Reverb I chose the Reverb purely for seated simulations (race & flight combat).

However, my interest is immersion rather than competitive multiplayer. The Pimax has a significantly wider FOV which is likely better for checking six.

The Index is better if you do non seated stuff - I don't ever use the controllers with the Reverb so a non issue.

The Reverb lacks mechanical IPD adjustment, I have an IPD of 65 which is smack in the middle of its range so is perfect for me. Others may vary.

I am still very happy with the Reverb, the clarity is unequalled

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I have a question I consistently have a Steam Failed error mostly when I am about to move to the last screen in multiplayer where you select your aircraft. When I say consistently I mean easily 3 out of 4 times trying to play. Many times I get so frustrated that I restart which 50 50 may work.

When I last posed this question I was pointed to get a powered USB hub which I have done with the exact same results.

I have a brand new fully fitted dedicated PC that is 3 months old. Is anyone having this issue and if not does anybody have Ideas for a frustrated F-18 pilot want to bee.

Thanks

I have a question I consistently have a Steam Failed error mostly when I am about to move to the last screen in multiplayer where you select your aircraft. When I say consistently I mean easily 3 out of 4 times trying to play. Many times I get so frustrated that I restart which 50 50 may work.
It seems coincidental if it happens at the same time, however the only times I have had a SteamVR Failure is stretching out my legs to touch the cables connected to the PC. I was able to recreate it by wiggling the DP cable where it connects to the graphics card. A bit of overdue cable management sorted it!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application). I get all my steam VR games.

Any quick suggestions how to add it to the list? Or how do I specifically adjust PD/SS and enable motion smoothing/reprojection settings for DCS in Steam VR settings.

Edited by Mathius_001

i9-9900KS, 32GB DDR4, RTX2080Ti, 55" QLED, HP Reverb

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application). I get all my steam VR games.

Any quick suggestions how to add it to the list? Or how do I specifically adjust PD/SS and enable motion smoothing/reprojection settings for DCS in Steam VR settings.

You have to start DCS, then it shows in that list.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe

Just started using the Reverb from the Vive Pro and I dont get DCS in my list of applications in the Steam VR settings (adjust video settings per application).

As above, DCS will only appear in the list when it's actually running in VR.

Edited by Slug72
too slow on the trigger :-)

i9-9900K @5GHz, Z390 Aorus Pro, 32GB DDR4-3200MHz, EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Seasonic Focus+ Platinum 850W PSU, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pro pedals, 2x MFD's, MT deskmounts, Asus 32" 1440p display, EDTracker Pro Wireless, HP Reverb

Just picked mine up, and had a bit of fun just setting it up, leaving DCS for last. My rig is only a 3700x with a standard OC'd 1080 GTX but it seems to be quite smooth without switching on reprojection though may change during moments of high activity. Not too fussed right now because all I want to do with my modules is to take off, fly a circuit and land.

Funny thing - at first I wasn't too impressed with the clarity as it was a bit blurry. It wasn't three hours later that I realised I have yet to remove the blue protective films from the lenses! And yeah I can definitely see the difference between this and the Rift S and PSVR - even with my lowly rig.

That's pretty funny! Glad you're enjoying the Reverb.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I'm new to the game and am thinking of pickup up a VR headset. I have a couple of questions. Sorry if they've already been asked. It's a very long thread!

I would like to play on one of the warbird servers. From what I've seen, it's mandatory to be looking in all directions, especially behind, all of the time. Videos I've seen of people wearing VR headsets show them making exaggerated movements. For example, if you want to look behind you at 6 o'clock, instead of turning your head to around 4'oclock and moving your eyes to cover to the last part, as we do in real life, it seems that in VR you have to turn your whole body so that you can point your head at 6 o'clock. Does that make it difficult and fatiguing when you are constantly looking behind you in the game?

My second question concerned a video I saw on youtube. The guy was pretty negative about the Reverb. His conclusion is "It's not a good option for you, even if you are just using it for simulators.". I wondered if the video had been discussed here.

This is the video.

Pimax5K+ is the only HMD that has wider than 110+ field of view. I think Reverb is 114, or something like that. So yes, you do have turn your head more than in real life. But not *that* much more, I don't think.

But Reverb is much smoother and clearer than Pimax 5K. The 8K might be the answer, but the 5K software wasn't great. It was OK, and I used it. But it's only because I'm so used to VR that little judder doesn't bother me *that* much.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

from memory the default field of view in DCS is 80, something degrees, so you might need tp adjust it in \Users\<username>\Saved Games\DCS\Config\View\SnapViews.lua

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

HAHAHA! I did the same thing with those lens covers! :megalol:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Pimax5K+ is the only HMD that has wider than 110+ field of view. I think Reverb is 114, or something like that. So yes, you do have turn your head more than in real life. But not *that* much more, I don't think.

But Reverb is much smoother and clearer than Pimax 5K. The 8K might be the answer, but the 5K software wasn't great. It was OK, and I used it. But it's only because I'm so used to VR that little judder doesn't bother me *that* much.

Isn't the Index FOV a little higher than 110?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

That's what makes it more realistic. You have to twist your whole body in real life too, since depth perception suffers the further you move your eyes to either side.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Swivel chair...

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

The Valve Index actually has fov 130

This, the fact that the Index is more plug and play and is made purely for gaming, still hold me back from purchasing the Reverb.

Maybe someone here can push me over that line (although people here are probably biased :P)

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

This, the fact that the Index is more plug and play and is made purely for gaming, still hold me back from purchasing the Reverb.

Maybe someone here can push me over that line (although people here are probably biased :P)

This has been discussed ad nauseum here!

The bottom line is that the Reverb has vastly superior resolution - both natively and pushed to higher limits with SS - than the Index.

I have owned both, and although the Index is nice in a lot of ways, the res of the Reverb makes a winner all day long for DCS.

As an aside, I've never understood what some people mean when they say the Index 'was made purely for gaming'!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

This has been discussed ad nauseum here!

The bottom line is that the Reverb has vastly superior resolution - both natively and pushed to higher limits with SS - than the Index.

I have owned both, and although the Index is nice in a lot of ways, the res of the Reverb makes a winner all day long for DCS.

As an aside, I've never understood what some people mean when they say the Index 'was made purely for gaming'!

Wow! :blink:

Sorry for getting on your nerves mate.. looking at all the exclamation marks you used, I guess I said something wrong...

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Wow! :blink:

Sorry for getting on your nerves mate.. looking at all the exclamation marks you used, I guess I said something wrong...

Sorry, no I didn't mean that at all. Beauty of internet forums, eh?

However, I still don't know what people mean by the Index being 'made purely for gaming'. What does that mean?

Edited by imacken

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, no I didn't mean that at all. Beauty of internet forums, eh?

However, I still don't know what people mean by the Index being 'made purely for gaming'. What does that mean?

I believe it means that it was designed purely for the gaming market whereas the Reverb is also aimed at the business market. There maybe some compromises. For example refresh rates are probably considered more important for gaming, hence the Index is designed with higher refresh rates as an option. All a bit moot for DCS where 90fps is a bit of a pipe dream of course!

FWIW I also had both Reverb & Index and chose the Reverb for seated flight combat and racing sims for its clarity.

I liked both, if I didn't use speakers rather than the headset audio or did anything else that used VR controllers I might have chosen the Index.

I would be happy with either with the exception that I had lots of EMI issues with the Index probably caused by my sim racing gear, so whenever I touched the headset it would grey out. No amount of ferrite cores fixed it.

I believe it means that it was designed purely for the gaming market whereas the Reverb is also aimed at the business market. There maybe some compromises. For example refresh rates are probably considered more important for gaming, hence the Index is designed with higher refresh rates as an option. All a bit moot for DCS where 90fps is a bit of a pipe dream of course!

FWIW I also had both Reverb & Index and chose the Reverb for seated flight combat and racing sims for its clarity.

I liked both, if I didn't use speakers rather than the headset audio or did anything else that used VR controllers I might have chosen the Index.

So it's just refresh rate that people are talking about to make it 'purely for gaming'? I find that odd, I mean, when I tried refresh rates 90+ on the Index, I could see no difference from 90, but that may just be me. Anyway, 90Hz is more than good enough for games. How may people here are achieving 90 anyway?

From what I could tell when I was active in Index threads/forums, not many were using the higher than 90 rates anyway, so it definitely is a moot point.

I find the audio on the Reverb almost as good as the Index, and although the controllers are definitely inferior, they are OK, and work perfectly well in games.

No plan to try to push you over that line...but... :)

I was ready to get Pimax after 3 yrs with Rift.

Upgrades the computer to be able to cope with it. Then the 8KX wasnt released so I more or less had to get something else.

Ive only read about the Index, never tried them.

I dont think they was in stock when I ”had to” buy new VR so I got the Reverb.

Setup isnt a big deal at all. Actually it took less time to get a proper setup with the Reverb than with the Rift( I did setup Rift on the new upgraded computer.)

You save a little time in basic install with the oculus but before graphic settings in DCS is done so I was happy with quality and smooth gaming, it took more time.

If doing evaluation of which set to get, do not countthe install on Reverb as a big minus. Cause it really insnt.

You can choose the Index for FOV, thats a valid evaluation point. But not setup.

[T.M HOTAS Warthog Stick & Throttle + T.Flight pedals, Varjo Aero, HP Reverb pro, Pimax 8KX] 🙂

[DCS Mirage 2K; Huey; Spitfire Mk IX, AJS 37, F-14, F-18, FC3, A-10 Warthog II and a few more ]

i9 13900KF@5.8/32Gb DDR5@6400/ Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX4090, ASUS STRIX Z790-F , 2Tb m2 NVMe