HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Eyes are very individual stuff.....

Of course IPD , sphere, axis and cylinder were professionally taken by an optician. With astigmatism and myopia you have a more or less small sweet spot with full sharpness of vision (in my case I can see up to 130% and have first class flight medical), but rolling eyes to the edges you loose sharpness when wearing glasses. So this is normal daily use and I couldn´t say like many others here that looking to the edges of the Reverb gets blurred picture. Wearing contact lenses depends on hard or soft ones, the soft ones don´t correct my astigmatism and I see only around100%, but I can use them during normal real live flying, I get problems manouvering zero to negative gs (they get "loose"), I must have spare glasses with me in the cockpit. Hard contacts aren´t that comfortable but I can see again up to 130% with them and of course rolling eyes doesn´t matter (like the soft ones) in regard to sharpness. My nightview is good, I can see without problems 5mag checking Ursa Minor. My 3d and colour view are normal. So with these eyes there is only one solution now I personally prefer: The vroptician.com (is the same as vroptiker.de) inserts with blueprotect coating (I don´t know them without coating....).

But if I don't wear glasses, and my IPD isn't the native of reverb... Can I use a plan lenses without eyesight for correct IPD?

I don´t think it works this way, but I´m no optician and no Einstein in physics...

Comparing it to the first headsets I used, the Reverb is my choice, more than 20 years ago it was "no pain, no gain" like in the F-4 weapon system trainer (see pic of me from that time and my hair was more black than white), but there was a mechanical IPD adjustment at least..:megalol:

F4WST.thumb.jpg.8bd8ee4eba855e589fdc97234c188311.jpg

Edited by Foxmike

But if I don't wear glasses, and my IPD isn't the native of reverb... Can I use a plan lenses without eyesight for correct IPD?

Yeah, that was basically my question.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

What misalignment problem?

When I had a Reverb, it was most obvious when running fpsVR overlay.

Impossible to focus on it and DCS screen.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

It's really really annoying because apparently it's not due to the HMD, so I don't want to return it back to HP. But ED doesn't seem to be aware of that unfortunately.
Not all the same model headsets are equal. For instance my Reverb has no issue with running the FPSVR overlay in DCS.

There was a similar issue with iRacing and most notably Samsung Odyssey+ models with a big variance in misalignment. One fix applied worked for some headsets and then rendered previously working headsets with the issue.

My view is that the tolerances of headset alignment is wide enough that some units get effected by certain applications. There has to be something that those apps are doing in presenting the image to SteamVR but finding it appears to be very tricky!

So you might well find a replacement Reverb doesn't have the issue.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Yeah, that´s true. I have them installed a week ago and my picture is crystal clear and sharp now from the center to the edges with perfect sweet spot.

Using the Reverb with my glasses or contact lens wasn´t half as good as now!!!! Fascinating! I ordered them with the Zeiss Blueprotect coating. My IPD is 68 and now perfect sweet spot (33,5 + 34.5 IPD inserts).

Others claim to have a small sweet spot..

IDK much about optics or VR. Can someone explain why he has edge to edge clarity yet others do not. Its IPD related? Is having an IPD 64 going to give me a better sweet spot than someone with an IPD of 68? (for this device?)

IDK much about optics or VR. Can someone explain why he has edge to edge clarity yet others do not. Its IPD related? Is having an IPD 64 going to give me a better sweet spot than someone with an IPD of 68? (for this device?)

Personally, I don't understand how Foxmike is seeing a 'perfect sweet spot'. I have IPD 68 - same as Foxmike - and I felt the sweet spot in the Reverb was anything but 'perfect'.

Still, eyes are funny things!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

I've noticed a couple of odd issues with the Reverb and was wondering if anyone lese has. Does anyone see oddness with F/A-18 JHMCS display? And I noticed with lens flare turned on I see two different sun flares instead of just one. Rift S doesn't have either of these issues.

I'd prefer to use the Reverb as the SDE is greatly reduced and the clarity/resolution is clearly higher. Thanks

I've got my Reverb hopefully arriving next week. How do I set it up?

I understand I have to install SteamVR (should I go for the beta version) but is that it?

That's pretty much it to be honest. Windows Mixed Reality should start up automatically when you plug in the headset and then take you through the setup steps for room scaling etc.

It's a pretty painless process. Bear in mind when you start the controllers that you need to hold in the start button for a couple of seconds before they power up.

A small pie is soon eaten

Actually the set up was pretty painless in my opinion. Be running Windows 10 1903 with latest updates. Have Steam installed, SteamVR (beta), obtain Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR and if you like fpsVR. The last is a $4 purchase but has some really nice tools. Everything is easy to set up and configure. And so far it just works.

I moved from a Rift S and was concerned about the process but once its all done, I just launch Steam VR and then start DCS like I always did. I primarily use DCS stand alone but you can of course use the steam version too.

Actually the set up was pretty painless in my opinion. Be running Windows 10 1903 with latest updates. Have Steam installed, SteamVR (beta), obtain Windows Mixed Reality for Steam VR and if you like fpsVR. The last is a $4 purchase but has some really nice tools. Everything is easy to set up and configure. And so far it just works.

I moved from a Rift S and was concerned about the process but once its all done, I just launch Steam VR and then start DCS like I always did. I primarily use DCS stand alone but you can of course use the steam version too.

Interesting. Couple of questions:

1) Why SteamVR Beta?

2) I’m also coming from the Rift S, is the clarity/resolution as good as people say? Is the FoV difference felt much?

3) Who or what is fpsVR?

:)

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

Interesting. Couple of questions:

1) Why SteamVR Beta?

2) I’m also coming from the Rift S, is the clarity/resolution as good as people say? Is the FoV difference felt much?

3) Who or what is fpsVR?

:)

If you don't use the beta you will just have to adjust the SS slider in steam to match the resolution of the reverb. I believe those percentages in the slider are different for beta vs stable steam vr.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I followed a tutorial located here;

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

It's still mostly up to date. It will answer questions 1 & 3.

I've gone back and forth and tested both the Rift S and the Reverb.

In my opinion there are pros and cons to each. I'd love to see a Rift headset with the clarity, reduces SDE and resolution of the Reverb.

Yes the FOV is a little better on the Reverb and I noticed the reduction when I switched back to the Rift. The SDE on the Rift is much more noticeable than the Reverb. The increased clarity and resolution on the Reverb are superior. I've got my IPD set at 67 and the sweet spot is pretty good on both, perhaps a little better on the Reverb. I don't wear corrective lenses.

However, I found some detractors in the Reverb that I don't see in the Rift. In the Reverb I've notices more glare from bright objects, such as your kneeboard that don't appear near as much in the Rift. I'm having some odd issues with Hornet JHMCS display in the Reverb I don't have in the Rift. And I noticed two set of lens flare in the Reverb vs the one there should be in the Rift. None of this is game breaking but there are some things the Rift appears to be better at handling. I've also noticed more tracking problems with the Reverb but that's a limitation of two cameras vs five. A bright environment helps.

However, the resolution and reduced SDE are phenomenal. You can spot things farther away more easily and even the terrain looks better to me. The beauty is, they both use the same connections and you can easily switch back and forth.

You're mileage may vary.

If you don't use the beta you will just have to adjust the SS slider in steam to match the resolution of the reverb. I believe those percentages in the slider are different for beta vs stable steam vr.
It is confusing but it is the WMR beta that adjusts the scale in SteamVR.

My experience is that the SteamVR beta has some performance issues with the Reverb but that could all change in the regular SteamVR updates.

WMR beta also seems to cause stuttering in DiRT Rally 2.0 which I also play so am using the stable versions of both WMR for SteamVR and SteamVR for now.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

FPSVR is a handy utility that provides an overlay when in games in VR to see FPS, CPU & GPU frame times (and more) and also change settings on the fly. It is very useful. It also comes with a standalone testing utility.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/908520/fpsVR/

The simple answer is "its complicated" because optics are...

And yes having the "normal" IPD will give you the best results with this device rather than being out on the edges.

HP decided for whatever reason to build this with Squircle lenses and no IPD adjustment. So you can get a "good enough" FOV for many people, but it will only be perfect for the perfectly average IPD (~64 IIRC). much smaller or larger and it will start to look worse and your "sweet spot" will be smaller. The valve index uses 2 sets of lenses to provide a much better edge to edge clarity, even though the overall resolution/clarity of the set is worse.

Custom lenses "might" be able to fix this for people, hence my interest in the prescription lenses. I have good vision, no glasses etc, but if for 50 more bucks I can get a "perfect" view, then its worth it for me.

Or wait for the Acer Ojo, 2160 displays, adjustable IPD. There will likely be other headsets next year that are 2160 as well. I'm personally curious to see what samsung does.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

It doesn’t look like the Ojo will be coming to Europe or at least Germany, according to MRTV.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I'm personally curious to see what samsung does.

Same here. I really hope they stick with AMOLED displays in whatever enhancements they come up with for a possible Odyssey 2 release. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I've received my HP Reverb today, and I am impressed - it's indeed quite a step-up in terms of display clarity from the O+; some folks here likened it to looking at a monitor, and I second that notion - wow. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com