HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

One thing that is confusing in steamvr settings:

If you don't select the override and you also have the app listed will it always use the app listed setting ?

In that case video setting was 86% and DCS is %100 - nothing checked

I am still wondering my stutters. It was just when I got the DCSupdater.exe in the steam library. I did this in order to be able to adjust steamVR settings individually for the execution. However when I start the game from steam it kicks up the revive as well. If I close revive the DCS closes as well. I have a suspicion that revive might cause the stuttering, as well.

I normally start the windows VR and steamVR separately from desktop icons and the DCS through DCS update GUI, but I felt unsure whether it accounts for the VR settings this way ...

Go and figure, do you also have revive running?

I find the Reverb fantastic for what it's worth and although I have not yet looked in to what my IPD is (perhaps that needs to be addressed) I do find the sweet spot, at least for now a bit narrow. When I say that, I am simply comparing the crystal clear resolution of the central 15-20 degrees with the rest. The rest is still very good but this difference is noticeable.

The only other MHD i've had was the Rift CV-1, and this bad boy is waaaay better than that.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

How noticeable is the narrow "sweet spot" many have mentioned?

Do the edges really get THAT blurry? Does it bother you in game when not looking for it?

It isn't narrow as such just that at the very edges the difference between the centre area is quite pronounced. Given it hasn't got a very big FOV if you watch an instrument and move your head you can see it blur but fact is you get pretty close to the edge quite quickly doing this.

In game I really don't notice it, so the test is a bit flawed in terms of how I actually use it.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Coming from a Rift S initially I didn’t think the difference was very noticeable. I’ve been using the Rift S for the last couple of days, decided to try the Reverb again after using Thud’s VR4DCS setup guide - I’m converted! I can see the difference in clarity between the two -looks like it’s time to sell the Rift S :joystick:

How noticeable is the narrow "sweet spot" many have mentioned?

Do the edges really get THAT blurry? Does it bother you in game when not looking for it?

It’s not that narrow. But the big thing is it’s super clear and as you move out to the edge it’s noticeably less clear. But even that less clear region is better than the cv1 rift I have on its best day. It’s mostly a non issue IMO. I mainly notice if I’m looking ahead and glance at instruments which will be less clear and then I might have to move my head to read them better (not always). You adapt very quickly to use the central region for looking at anything critical IMO (spotting, reading the flir ddI etc)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Warping around the center

Hi Guys,

I have been using the reverb for about 3 weeks now, and I really enjoy the increase in clarity compared to the CV1 I previously owned.

I have noticed a strange kind of warping effect. Roughly in the the center 40 degrees of the field of view. When I move my head left and right it seems this part of the screen slightly warps forward. It's rather difficult to describe. Has anyone experienced a similar effect while using the Reverb?

I tried different IPD setting these don't seem to have an impact. Also I tried the headset with and without glasses.

This warping effect occurs in all the VR environments (steam, different games, not only DCS.)

Edited by tigair

Sounds like a return might be in order.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Sounds like a return might be in order.

Already in process since I have a small cluster of dead pixels in the right eye. Will see if the replacement gets rid of that warping, or if my eyes are just misaligned :noexpression:

Did you read the post where there is a way to turn pixels on? (they may not be dead) I would talk to HP support on both issues.

Already in process since I have a small cluster of dead pixels in the right eye. Will see if the replacement gets rid of that warping, or if my eyes are just misaligned :noexpression:

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Hi Guys,

I have been using the reverb for about 3 weeks now, and I really enjoy the increase in clarity compared to the CV1 I previously owned.

I have noticed a strange kind of warping effect. Roughly in the the center 40 degrees of the field of view. When I move my head left and right it seems this part of the screen slightly warps forward. It's rather difficult to describe. Has anyone experienced a similar effect while using the Reverb?

I tried different IPD setting these don't seem to have an impact. Also I tried the headset with and without glasses.

This warping effect occurs in all the VR environments (steam, different games, not only DCS.)

Mine has it as well but is not too bothersome. The warping/distortion looks like software tuning issues on HP's side. Same issue with the gearVR mod when we converted our Vive Pro's to Gear VR lenses. We had to tune it out ourselves or use someone elses settings to correct it. If it is tuned properly you can also get rid of the chromatic aberations. Unfortunately if its hidden code (.JSON files) like the Vive you need to extract it, make the changes then load it back to the secret folders. Test it then rinse and repeat until it was good. Pain in the ass for the Vive but once done for your eyes and lenses it looks great or better depending on your patience. The look and severity can vary from person to person and lens to lens so they kinda have to tune to one size fits all. Except in HPs case I think the tuning was done on a friday afternoon during drinks....lol. Unless HP help out or do an update I think we are out of luck. I did read somewhere that HTC had a digital auto collimator that was one of the last QA tests done on every Vive Pro lens set before passing QA then being sent out to customers. [The reason why I dont find it too bothersome is it is almost identical to the tune on my Vive Pro before I gave up tuning it....so I am used to it now. ;) ]

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

Curious as to how to uune the reverb to get rid of the chromatic aberration? Anyone know?

Curious as to how to uune the reverb to get rid of the chromatic aberration? Anyone know?

In the Vive it was in some hidden .json files and you needed the provided lighthouse_console to extract it. Wouldnt have a clue where the reverb settings are.....just had a look around and couldnt find anything that resembled the required tracking_to_eye_transform lines or similar name as used in the Vive json. It will be there somewhere but as it is WMR it could be anywhere on Windows10 OS. Lots of smart guys on this forum maybe someone knows about its whereabouts?

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

My reverb finally arrived and it's a flickering brick out of the box. Right eye doesn't turn on and the HMD flickers on and off. I tried reboots, fiddling with cables, a few different USBs including a powered hub, different Display ports... the headset still acted the same, so I'm returning it. I've read the bad reviews about headsets failing, but didn't expect it would be a brick out of the box. Oh well.

I'm curious as to how many of these headsets are defective.

Edited by NakedSquirrel

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

well, HP having fixed the initial problems does not mean that there never will be a broken unit again. My O+ died three days after it was delivered, such things happen.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

well, HP having fixed the initial problems does not mean that there never will be a broken unit again. My O+ died three days after it was delivered, such things happen.
It is an issue with most new hardware plus HPs QA was so bad on initial release that expecting them to suddenly become best in class is a stretch. Unfortunately I think we have to expect some DOA units slipping through.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Sweet Spot

Hi.

Im planning to purchase a Reverb, once the revised version is available in Europe. Ill probably order it from HP directly, since they should be the first to sell the new units from mid-september on.

Strangly on their website, I always read of 1 year reduced guarantee, but within EU they do have to offer a 2-year-guarantee.

Nevertheless, Im a bit worried, since my IPD is 67mm, which might cause some problems.

Since the sweet-spot should not be too big on the Reverb, I fear, that my a bit above average IPD could cause the sweetspot to get even smaller.

I made a printscreen of a video on youtube, where a guy filmed through the lens with a mobile phone. See attached file.

Looking at the pic, it only looks (kind of) sharp in the middle and much blurrier toward the edges. I briefly had a Rift S and it was also a bit blurry on the sides, but WAY better than on this vid on youtube and was not a bother for me. It also seems, that my IPD did not have a bad effect on the Rift S..

Can anyone comment on the Reverb with a compareable IPD? Ive only found a statemant, where 70 was too high.

Can anyone comment on the sweet spot and if the posted pic correctly represents the distribution of clarity of the Reverb?

Thx

DCS.thumb.jpg.897c814fb60e7046afc6e0be2c873730.jpg

Edited by Wali763

Can anyone comment on the sweet spot and if the posted pic correctly represents the distribution of clarity of the Reverb?

I can tell you that a through the lens pic with a phone isn't going to be an accurate depiction of anything.

My IPD is definitely higher than the average, and I don't have big issues with the sweet spot. I had to modify my Reverb with a piece of weatherstripping foam, however, because the lenses are too close to my eyes for some reason. That did give me a smaller sweet spot, an overall image that was a half-step out of focus, and a blue "halo" around both eyes. Getting my eyes just a fraction of an inch further away from the lenses with the foam cured all of those ills. Not ideal, but the amazing increase in resolution over my old CV1 makes it worth inventing a few redneck adaptations. :)

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I hope this picture is not showing real impressions of the reverb.

I would have to ask if it could save 50% GPU Power to have a render mode that renders everything outside the sweetspot with ultra low details, caus you don't recognize anything anyways :huh:

It is and it isnt. Yes the center area is very clear and then it gets blurrier. But that pic isnt showing how clear it is. At best that center view us about how it might look in the blurry zone (ish). Also that picture makes the clear zone look much smaller than it is when the hmd is on your head.

It is and it isnt. Yes the center area is very clear and then it gets blurrier. But that pic isnt showing how clear it is. At best that center view us about how it might look in the blurry zone (ish). Also that picture makes the clear zone look much smaller than it is when the hmd is on your head.

Thx for the info. That was helpful.

Of course I knew, that the whole blurrines of the pic wasnt the real thing and only due to the recording with the mobile.

I just wanted to kind of know, how bad the drop in sharpness towards the edges is.

Thank you, too.

Is it a bad idea to have future HMDs with a natural (large) FOV just by adding a blurry edge with heavily decreased details to keep high frame rates? (Graphic engine support certainly needed.)

Sitting here with my mouse hovering over the HP Reverb checkout button, but still hesitating a little. Can I have some opinion of a Reverb user who switched from an Odyssey +? Was it worth it? If so, what's better?

Thanks. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Sitting here with my mouse hovering over the HP Reverb checkout button, but still hesitating a little. Can I have some opinion of a Reverb user who switched from an Odyssey +? Was it worth it? If so, what's better?

I'd like to get their feedback as well. I'm coming from an original odyssey. I think for sure the resolution will be better but I'm more wondering about the comfort and field of view.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I have a O+ and the Reverb visuals are much better. I never imagine too much difference. The Reverb are also much more comfortable, but have worst earphones. The vertical FOV is also lower in the Reverb but after few hour you don't miss it.