HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

From my recent experience with my Reverb suddenly dying, but then spontaneously coming back to life a couple of days later, I think its a matter of unplugging the Reverb completely and giving it some time for everything to discharge, pretty much the same way you do it when you have to reset a router. That theory seemed to be confirmed by the HP commercial division support rep I talked to last night. He specifically said that sometimes you have to give the headset a little time unplugged in order for things to fully discharge and reset when you experience an error like that. I was getting a USB error on mine, which miraculously cured itself during the time I had it put away pending some free time to call HP.

That sounds interesting, I'm going to unplugging my HMD after each use and see if I keep getting the 1-5 error on restarting or if it stops. Should I unplug the USB or Displayport or both plugs?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

From my recent experience with my Reverb suddenly dying, but then spontaneously coming back to life a couple of days later, I think its a matter of unplugging the Reverb completely and giving it some time for everything to discharge, pretty much the same way you do it when you have to reset a router. That theory seemed to be confirmed by the HP commercial division support rep I talked to last night. He specifically said that sometimes you have to give the headset a little time unplugged in order for things to fully discharge and reset when you experience an error like that. I was getting a USB error on mine, which miraculously cured itself during the time I had it put away pending some free time to call HP.

Interesting as I never had that, however the difference is my entire system from monitor, printer, PC and everything else connected to my rig is on a master bus. I just turn a mega rotary cam switch to off when finished with the session and this cuts power to everything, just like pulling the plug. Only the ground (3 pin system here, we don't rely on neutral pin for emergency ground) remains connected.

Wonder if this is why I didn't see a lot of the problems others were seeing?

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

For me I open in multiple ways

Popular way is to start steam and from the library, launch window mix reality. Then you can open dcs

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I'll probably place my order when I get back from vacation, directly with HP if possible.

The way I set up the original odyssey was simple. Plugged it in, windows started downloading updates to apply windows mixed reality.

I then downloaded and installed steam vr through steam and wmr for steam vr also from within steam.

I used to start dcs by putting on the headset, cliff house comes up. I would open my desktop from within the cliff house and use the mouse to double click the dcs icon. Everything should launch from within the headset without issue. You just have to hit alt+enter to go full screen on the VR window that pops up on your monitor.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Thank you I downloaded and installed both of those, I'd like to be as prepared as possible to hopefully minimize the learning curve.
I personally run beta versions of both. In Steam click on properties and choose the beta options.

The most noticeable difference is with the Mixed Reality for SteamVR Beta it corrects the scaling in the resolution slider in SteamVR, otherwise you need to run at about 180 to get native resolution which can seem odd.

That sounds more confusing than it is!

I have spent quite a bit of time messing about with the Reverb and Index recently so any questions just fire away!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

That sounds interesting, I'm going to unplugging my HMD after each use and see if I keep getting the 1-5 error on restarting or if it stops. Should I unplug the USB or Displayport or both plugs?

I would try just unplugging the USB portion and letting it discharge, then see what you get. I've been unplugging mine at the connector on the HMD, mostly because I'm not crazy about the idea of repeatedly plugging/unplugging a DP connector from my $1400.00 GPU.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Interesting as I never had that, however the difference is my entire system from monitor, printer, PC and everything else connected to my rig is on a master bus. I just turn a mega rotary cam switch to off when finished with the session and this cuts power to everything, just like pulling the plug. Only the ground (3 pin system here, we don't rely on neutral pin for emergency ground) remains connected.

Wonder if this is why I didn't see a lot of the problems others were seeing?

That could very well be the case. I imagine that since the Reverb runs on a Microsoft program, its a lot like some of their OS's over the years, in that it requires frequent reboots because of the random BSOD. :D

I remember now that when I first got the Reverb, it seemed to have croaked shortly after I started using it, but after putting it away overnight, it came back to life the next day. :doh:

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I would try just unplugging the USB portion and letting it discharge, then see what you get. I've been unplugging mine at the connector on the HMD, mostly because I'm not crazy about the idea of repeatedly plugging/unplugging a DP connector from my $1400.00 GPU.
I would be wary of repeatedly unplugging the connector at the HMD seeing as it is a known weak link.

I just shut my PC down, never had an issue with connections though.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Still no 3D printable prescription lens holders for the reverb? I see the Index already has one........

Also, as was discussed earlier, do we yet know the "apparent" focal length?

I chose the goggle style from VR-LENS. This way, I don't have to keep buying inserts as I change HMDs.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Seems like my issue is a Microsoft problem. In HP Reverb Reddit this is what HP found.

from Voodooimaxx via /r/HPReverb sent 12 minutes ago

We found a bug that when the computer goes to sleep, it “bangs out” in device manager. We’ve filed a big report with MS about this and the only solution, ATM, is to reboot.

Can you check your device manager when you see the problem? It may be the same thing.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Well, my Reverb arrived from ShopBLT. It included the clip, but def says V1000, not V1000.2

I've tried running through setup, and the lenses won't power up. I checked and Windows 10 wants to update, but stops halfway through and won't finish. As a result, WMR won't install either. Fun. To top it off, Windows won't recognize the USB PCIe card I bought, so I cannot be sure my mobo is sending enough power to the HMD.

I'm going to have to pick it apart piece by piece, and figure out what's the problem. This is steering me toward a direction I've been trying to avoid, which is upgrading my mobo and doing a clean install of Windows. I really don't want to go through all that, cause if I'm getting a new mobo, I'm going to upgrade my case and cooling fan, too. That's pushing $400 - $500 after already sinking close to $650 for the unit. Geesh...

Intel i7 8700K / ASRock Pro 4 / 32 Gb Patriot Viper 3200mhz DDR4 / Founders Edition RTX2080 / 250 Gb Westgate SSD for OS / 1TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD / Win 10 - 64bit / HP Reverb / VKB Combat Stick & Thrustmaster WarthogThrottle / MFG Crosswinds Pedals / 32 Input Button Box / Saitek Throttle Quadrant

If you don't get any image, it's most likely the USB port.

On my mainboard, neither the O+ nor the Reverb work with the USB 3.1 ports. 3.0 is fine.

The Rift S works with the 3.1 ports, though.

Ryzen 3700X, 2080ti, 32GB, HP Reverb, Rift S, Thrustmaster Warthog, Crosswind, SFX-100 motion rig :thumbup:

Looks like a lot of stores are ramping up to carry the Gen 2 Reverb's. I wonder if the quantities will be higher than the first go around.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Well, my Reverb arrived from ShopBLT. It included the clip, but def says V1000, not V1000.2

I've tried running through setup, and the lenses won't power up. I checked and Windows 10 wants to update, but stops halfway through and won't finish. As a result, WMR won't install either. Fun. To top it off, Windows won't recognize the USB PCIe card I bought, so I cannot be sure my mobo is sending enough power to the HMD.

I'm going to have to pick it apart piece by piece, and figure out what's the problem. This is steering me toward a direction I've been trying to avoid, which is upgrading my mobo and doing a clean install of Windows. I really don't want to go through all that, cause if I'm getting a new mobo, I'm going to upgrade my case and cooling fan, too. That's pushing $400 - $500 after already sinking close to $650 for the unit. Geesh...

The 1000.2 is only in the hardware tab when you look at the device. The physical sticker is V1000.

I did my update a few days beforehand and had no issues just using my mobo 3.1 USB port to power the HMD.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I just went through a Windows re-install to get an Index to work, sometimes you have to bite the bullet! I bought a USB card to no avail for that too before reinstalling

If you don't get any image, it's most likely the USB port.

On my mainboard, neither the O+ nor the Reverb work with the USB 3.1 ports. 3.0 is fine.

The Rift S works with the 3.1 ports, though.

Works with my 3.1 ports. Asrock Pro4 mobo

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

I had the same issue. I thought it was broke. My issue was the Reverb driver files that get downloaded when you plug it in.. It just seemed it was locked and would not download. Then when turning off the computer, windows said it had to download even though I had all Windows updates. I let it and then went to bed. The next morning my screens were lit up! Strange that Windows knew I did not download the drivers completely and finished for me! Probably because they are MS WMR files.

Could this be your issue? I have a slowish connection and those fies are huge, and takes forever. My progress bar never moved, therefore I thought there was a setup error, but it just took forever.

Edited by Wmacky

Yeah I recall the 1903 update took quite a while, like overnight as well.

The Reverb won't power up unless you have WMR portal up and running so you need to get it installed first somehow. It will only power up after WMR portal initializes the HMD.

I would be wary of repeatedly unplugging the connector at the HMD seeing as it is a known weak link.

I just shut my PC down, never had an issue with connections though.

My PC never gets shut down. It also serves as my home audio and video entertainment server. :)

Ordered a Reverb today. Should get the new revision next Thursday.

Can't wait to see what all the hubbub is about. :)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348