HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

Mind you, if as Wags say there is no noticeable performance difference we can live without it for a bit longer anyway.

Sorry, just to be clear, what was he referring to when he said 'no noticeable improvement'?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

@Sniper175 - do you think SS will be needed? If yes, then performance will be tough for less than a 1080ti.

I think since the native resolution is so high, running at 100% SS and 1.0 PD may be pretty dang good, and may be nearly the same or less pixels than what some run now. My only concern at the moment is antialiasing...

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

• ED Team
From my understanding of statements on forums and discord the vr optimization when brought into the new build aka 2.5.5 well it broke or no longer works. So not sure if patch is released today or tomorrow that any vr optimizations exist....

More clarification would probably help

All VR optimization tests were done on our internal development trunk, not the 2.5.5 branch. The 2.5.5 branch was just constructed yesterday after creating a new branch based on the current version of the development trunk. In the process of creating the 2.5.5 branch from the trunk, something broke the VR optimization of the maps. We are looking into it.

Thanks

@Sniper175 - do you think SS will be needed? If yes, then performance will be tough for less than a 1080ti.

I think since the native resolution is so high, running at 100% SS and 1.0 PD may be pretty dang good, and may be nearly the same or less pixels than what some run now. My only concern at the moment is antialiasing...

My exact concern also the jaggies....

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

All VR optimization tests were done on our internal development trunk, not the 2.5.5 branch. The 2.5.5 branch was just constructed yesterday after creating a new branch based on the current version of the development trunk. In the process of creating the 2.5.5 branch from the trunk, something broke the VR optimization of the maps. We are looking into it.

Thanks

RGR that and thank you for your time Wags.

Hey everyone,

As mentioned earlier, I had an HP Reverb loaner coming this week and it arrived yesterday. Wow! This is truly a banner year for VR and the Reverb is a huge part of that. I can’t and won’t compare to other products, but here are some of my impressions after about an hour in the device:

• As expected, the resolution of the displays really sets it apart. Even in cockpits with very small texts, it is possible to read. Clarity is approaching 2D monitor levels and I could see no evidence of SDE. It is a GREAT VR device for DCS World. I personally did not notice any god rays and the blacks were quite deep.

• I’m personally a big fan of inside-out tracking. I don’t really “do” room-scale VR, so the ease of setup, maintenance of tracking, and freeing up USB ports is a huge plus for me.

• Even with the higher resolution, I did not notice any appreciable performance loss outside of my expectations given the nature of VR. Performance was quite good.

• I really can’t comment on the hand controllers because I don’t use them.

• Comfort was very nice and I felt very “at home”. There was also very little light bleed through the nose area which I appreciate.

• I have a rather narrow IPD (59), but I was still able to get a great setting.

Later this month I will send the device to our team to allow native support (no SteamVR requirement)

There are a growing number of outstanding VR options this year, and I believe it will come down to your budget available and the features you prize most. If outstanding resolution, inside-out tracking, and comfort rank high for you, I can certainly give the Reveb my stamp of approval.

Well done HP!

Thanks,

Wags

Awesome - thanks Wags! This absolutely looks like a day one purchase for me for sure. :thumbup:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Harlikwin - I guess there really isn't a reason to unless the two products have some overlap with drivers or shared code in Windows10. You could probably try it first and see if anything strange happens.

For me, strange happenings = doubt in my mind in the voracity of my installation :). As such, I tend to be WAAYYY too careful and remove unneeded software.

Gotcha. I probably will uninstall occulus once I get rid of the rift... Or I may keep it for laptop use.. Who knows.

And yeah my DCS/sim rig has basically no unneeded software on it.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Thanks

LOFL clear as mud. But I'm sure you guys will fix soon. :)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

My exact concern also the jaggies....

more native pixels = much less jaggies.

Thanks

Thank you for the clarification, and thank you also for the time taken to feed back to us your thoughts on this headset. Enjoy a VR pint on me.

A small pie is soon eaten

What about a ghosting (fast moving targets = double picture)? Is it present here?

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Thanks

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, it is what it is. Cheers.

i7700k OC to 4.8GHz with Noctua NH-U14S (fan) with AORUS RTX2080ti 11GB Waterforce. 32GDDR, Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudders. HP Reverb.

giphy.gif

Hilarious.

@Wags: Can you please have someone in the team with IPD closer to 65 try it (if any of them do) and see if the team experience any other issue due to the lack of IPD adjustment?

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Wait - he was using hand controllers? I thought they didn’t work for mixed reality headsets in DCS. Will the reverb controllers work??

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Hilarious.

@Wags: Can you please have someone in the team with IPD closer to 65 try it (if any of them do) and see if the team experience any other issue due to the lack of IPD adjustment?

I try to entertain. I think the perfect ipd is 63 or 64 so you are way closer than wags was.

Wait - he was using hand controllers? I thought they didn’t work for mixed reality headsets in DCS. Will the reverb controllers work??

Yes all the WMR controllers are the same and have been working for a long time now.

I try to entertain. I think the perfect ipd is 63 or 64 so you are way closer than wags was.

63 or 64 is the average IPD. There's nothing perfect about being average. :D

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Yes all the WMR controllers are the same and have been working for a long time now.

Hmm, I thought only Oculus controllers worked in DCS.

Reverb is looking even better, if I can ever get my hands on one...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

63 or 64 is the average IPD. There's nothing perfect about being average. :D

Ouch Savage, love it!

I guess the Reverb, given it being an enterprise solution without a physical IPD adjustment, it may even be designed to do well across a wider range of IPDs than what e.g. Rift S and Index may? I have no idea how this works, hence my 101 questions! But if it is truly that great as we seem to get reports about, I might have to change my mind about probably going for the Index and jump on the Reverb wagon.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI B360M Bazooka | CPU i7 8700k @ 3.2 GHz | RAM 2x8GB GDDR4 @ 2400 MHz | GPU Gainward GeForce RTX 2070 Dual Fan | 256GB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: MSI Optix 24" LED Curved | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: A-10C | F-14 | F/A-18C | Spitfire | P-51D

Ouch Savage, love it!

I guess the Reverb, given it being an enterprise solution without a physical IPD adjustment, it may even be designed to do well across a wider range of IPDs than what e.g. Rift S and Index may? I have no idea how this works, hence my 101 questions! But if it is truly that great as we seem to get reports about, I might have to change my mind about probably going for the Index and jump on the Reverb wagon.

I'm thinking it should be fine, even for a guy like me who is at the limits of the IPD range. My IPD is 70mm. I guess I'll find out on the weekend following June 26th, which is when my Reverb Pro should be here. With my CV1, I used the Oculus alignment tool to get the green bars lined up, but found that I still was able to adjust the physical IPD in DCS to get an even clearer picture. I also found that the vertical alignment of the lenses to my eyes made the most significant difference in clarity.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly: