HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

DCS related comments from a Reverb AMA on reddit (not sure if reddit links are allowed here but its in the WindowsMR subreddit):

He was running a 2080Ti.

Cool, seems to meet my expectations in that case. And on the plus side DCS will be optimized in the next week or so.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

The maths isn't always obvious to a lot of people. for example, the Reverb has 9.3m pixels, and the CV1 has only 2.5m. Almost a factor of 4 difference. However, is PD measured in each axis? So is it a comparison between 1080 and 2160 with a factor of 2, or is it.....

Not so obvious, I would say. Depending on where you look, there is a different interpretation!

Resolution scales by a factor of 4. If I'm doubling the resolution of something I'm increasing the pixel count by a factor of 4.

Looks like steam is trying to inflate numbers more than anything.

At any rate it seems to run DCS ok currently on 2080ti

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

@Hansangb - Can you tell they are an a10 or f15 from their shape at that distance? Could you discern the difference between an f15 and say a mig29 at that distance?

Just curious because I can't do that in the O+.

Oh, no, just that it's a plane. But I can't do that on my 3440x1440 Acer monitor either. Perhaps on a 1920x1080, you can.

I'm going to try to build a "stand" to catch the best through-the-lens ange for recording tonight.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

That will be cool hansangb ........ I'm just hoping my rig can push it....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

That will be cool hansangb ........ I'm just hoping my rig can push it....

Played with it for an hour trying to dial it in.

I double checked the distance. 5 and 10 miles out, I can see the specks moving. In my test miz file, I have 3 sets of A10s flying an oval pattern at 2500'. Set of 3 at 5 miles and set of 3 at 10 miles. I can spot them around 11-12 miles away. But I can't make out what type of planes they are.

I'm flying at 300' and the planes circle at 2500'. So I'm looking up, but not by much. At 5 and 10 miles out, it's almost level with the plane.

And the bonus is that I confirmed with shopblt that I read the inventory report correctly when I pre-ordered. I'm in line for the first batch that comes into the warehouse. Soooo excited to check it out. The ETA to the warehouse is still around June 5th.

And the email stated "Currently, this item is scheduled to ship to us from the factory for arrival on 6/4/19. Should the manufacturer miss the estimates, we will notify you and provide you with updated estimated arrival date(s). In the meantime, we have secured your place in line for this popular item, and as soon as stock is available, it will ship immediately. Additionally, you will not be charged for this item until shipped (we may have obtained a temporary approval for the above amount, but it will not be collected until the order ships.)"

So far, they've the been paragon of timely and courteous customer service. I'll definitely bookmark their website.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I got that email too ....looks like 21 of the 22 pre-orders are taken .....they were at 22 for 22 but someone must have backed out .... I had originally misspelled my email and they called me to correct it so they could keep me up to date ....pretty good customer service so far ...really looking forward to this .....

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

Played with it for an hour trying to dial it in.

I double checked the distance. 5 and 10 miles out, I can see the specks moving. In my test miz file, I have 3 sets of A10s flying an oval pattern at 2500'. Set of 3 at 5 miles and set of 3 at 10 miles. I can spot them around 11-12 miles away. But I can't make out what type of planes they are.

I'm flying at 300' and the planes circle at 2500'. So I'm looking up, but not by much. At 5 and 10 miles out, it's almost level with the plane.

And the bonus is that I confirmed with shopblt that I read the inventory report correctly when I pre-ordered. I'm in line for the first batch that comes into the warehouse. Soooo excited to check it out. The ETA to the warehouse is still around June 5th.

And the email stated "Currently, this item is scheduled to ship to us from the factory for arrival on 6/4/19. Should the manufacturer miss the estimates, we will notify you and provide you with updated estimated arrival date(s). In the meantime, we have secured your place in line for this popular item, and as soon as stock is available, it will ship immediately. Additionally, you will not be charged for this item until shipped (we may have obtained a temporary approval for the above amount, but it will not be collected until the order ships.)"

So far, they've the been paragon of timely and courteous customer service. I'll definitely bookmark their website.

Shopblt sounds like a good company with keeping you updated. Hopefully we get our reverbs soon, I was number 18 or 19 when I ordered. I find B&H originally sold the Reverb Pro for $649.99 then bumped it up to $675.00. B&H is know for jacking up their prices on hot items. Glad shopblt kept it slightly cheaper than the HP suggested retail price. I risked canceling the commercial version from Amazon as I only heard the pro version were being released with no word on when the commercial ones would. Hoping the risk pays off next week :).

Looks like the California and Illinois warehouse ETA moved to 6/10/19 :(.

Edited by Naruto

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

Shopblt sounds like a good company with keeping you updated. Hopefully we get our reverbs soon, I was number 18 or 19 when I ordered. I find B&H originally sold the Reverb Pro for $649.99 then bumped it up to $675.00. B&H is know for jacking up their prices on hot items. Glad shopblt kept it slightly cheaper than the HP suggested retail price. I risked canceling the commercial version from Amazon as I only heard the pro version were being released with no word on when the commercial ones would. Hoping the risk pays off next week :).

Looks like the California and Illinois warehouse ETA moved to 6/10/19 :(.

Don't make your problems my problems. :D PA is still tracking for June 5th, so don't go jinxing it. I work two blocks from B&H. You should see their store operation. It's something else.

And June 5th is the eve of Normandy, 75th year anniversary. What it must have taken to jump in, or land on the beaches. Especially Omaha and Gold.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Don't make your problems my problems. :D PA is still tracking for June 5th, so don't go jinxing it. I work two blocks from B&H. You should see their store operation. It's something else.

And June 5th is the eve of Normandy, 75th year anniversary. What it must have taken to jump in, or land on the beaches. Especially Omaha and Gold.

A friend of mine from AH3, who is x US Army SF, is jumping in from a DC3 with a whole bunch of other vets, there may even be an original 101st guy jumping in tandem with them (insane at his age, but go him edit- just found out there is TWO original vets jumping in now..wahoo). Incidentally he's the person that introduced me to Virpil when they first started up, he was in the US Army SF unit then operating in their home country, and he met them first hand and got an early T50 from them. I hope to get some vid from that jump, if/when I do I'll post it.

Edited by Gman109

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

A friend of mine from AH3, who is x US Army SF, is jumping in from a DC3 with a whole bunch of other vets, there may even be an original 101st guy jumping in tandem with them (insane at his age, but go him). Incidentally he's the person that introduced me to Virpil when they first started up, he was in the US Army SF unit then operating in their home country, and he met them first hand and got an early T50 from them. I hope to get some vid from that jump, if/when I do I'll post it.

That's a hooah! :D We need a hand salute emoji! Can't what to see some vids.

I believe two C47's (since this is DCS forum!) will be flying there. I guess your friend will make the jump from it. I can't imagine what that must feel like. It's pretty oppressive heat and smell-wise for 130's and 141's. But a C47? And with the historical context? Wow....just wow!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

Approximately 1.2 horizontally, considering FOV difference (70 vs 114). Anyone with decent gfx card (1080ti or better) should be ok - I am more concerned about substandard ASW equivalent and WMR software. AHving said that you will want to run PD over 1 with Reverb. 2k is still not enough. In reality, comparing to Rift-S the gain in horizontal res (again, considering FOV) is about 400 pixel, which is quite considerable change but not massive. It's likely yo be similar change (or smaller, as big gain in clarity from CV1 to S was OLED vs LCD and much better optics) to going from Rift CV1 to Rift-S (completely arbitrary, for me S clarity is about 10-20% better which is good enough to make it usable in DCS, comparing to really bad res of CV1). Reverb's FOV will be very nice upgrade over Rift, I think much more visible than clarity.

Bottom line, it won't be nowhere near where monitors are. Not yet. We will celebrate when VR reaches 4k per eye in 3-5 years.

I don't know where you got your 70° FoV for Rift S.

I posted a French review of the Rift S. FoV was tested wearing the headset, and the horizontal FoV is around 90° on the Rift S.

I know HP is advertising 114°, but I'll wait to see it confirmed by test.

Anyway, the selling point here is picture clarity, not FoV...

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Even at 90 degree, the FOV seems a bit low compared to the advertised value. Is that the real world measurement with the visor close or away from your eyes?

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Having confirmed I can definitely eat for the next month, I've decided to take the plunge and risk ordering from shopblt. So we'll see what happens next. Fingers crossed!

A small pie is soon eaten

Anyone have a link for ShopBit? When I google it I'm not getting anywhere, just page after page of "ShopBOT".

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

Anyone have a link for ShopBit? When I google it I'm not getting anywhere, just page after page of "ShopBOT".

It’s shopblt not shopbit!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Not sure why that guy is running 1.5x supersampling on the reverb. I'm curious how someone will do with a 1080ti. I'm no way buying a 2080ti just for the headset when all I use it for would be dcs.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Not everyone is a DCS regular guys. That AMA guy is mostly an Elite Dangerous streamer and maybe 150% SS is ok in that game?

Another user and I asked him about DCS and that is when he told us the results of his limited testing.

New VR Simpit: Intel 10700K, MSI Seahawk X 1080Ti (waiting for 3080Ti or 3090), 32 GB 3600MHz RAM, HP Reverb, TM Warthog

Old VR Simpit: Intel 4790K, Asus Matrix 780Ti, 16GB RAM, HTC Vive

Those wonderful saintly people at ShopBLT have confirmed they are taking delivery of my stock on the 6th June.

I've started writing farewell letters to friends and family, winding up my affairs etc.

A small pie is soon eaten

agree. but even here in DCS forums you regularly see users suggesting 1.5->2.0.
Yea it depends. I wonder if those people leave in game pixel density at 1.0?

I tried 1.5x SS and 1.0 in game pixel density on my Odyssey but I prefer just using the PD instead of applying any super sampling.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

From what I've read - the SS in Steam and PD in DCS are two sides of the same coin. They both super sample what goes to the HMD. Not sure if one is better than the other, but I use the PD in DCS rather than Steamvr SS.

PD = 1.3

SteamVR SS = 100%

I have yet to see changing either or both of those up or down and giving me better visuals or better performance without compromising visuals.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs