computer target mode binding

Sceptre

hi sorry if this has been asked before.

in the heatblur manual, it says to press DES on the target designate switch once i have slewed the pipper on the target with up and down on the designate switch.

however there is no DES option in the controls menu. How do I confirm the area to bomb in the hud once i have slewed onto it?

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5

It's the target designate switch

By default it's mapped to DMS right on the Warthog IIRC.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Quote from the manual :

To designate a target the pilot steers the aircraft in azimuth to place the target along the BFL. Then
UP/DN
on the target designate switch on the left wall of the pilot cockpit is used to slew the target designator along the BFL until it overlays the target. At that point
the target is designated by pressing the target designate switch to DES

After designation the target designation diamond becomes stabilized to the designated position on the ground and the AN/AWG-9 is slewed to it for range measurements. The BFL now remains overlaying the designated target while the store impact point pipper and aircraft velocity vector continues to follow aircraft movements. In addition the HUD now displays the upper and lower solution cues on the BFL.

So, in essence :

1. you steer to align the Bomb Fall Line with your target
  2. you press DMS forward or DMS aft to move the caret on the Bomb Fall Line and place it on your target
  3. you press DMS right to ground stabilize the caret over your target
  4. you fly a standard CCRP approach and maintain the Weapons Release button pressed to drop the bomb

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Quote from the manual :

To designate a target the pilot steers the aircraft in azimuth to place the target along the BFL. Then
UP/DN
on the target designate switch on the left wall of the pilot cockpit is used to slew the target designator along the BFL until it overlays the target. At that point
the target is designated by pressing the target designate switch to DES

After designation the target designation diamond becomes stabilized to the designated position on the ground and the AN/AWG-9 is slewed to it for range measurements. The BFL now remains overlaying the designated target while the store impact point pipper and aircraft velocity vector continues to follow aircraft movements. In addition the HUD now displays the upper and lower solution cues on the BFL.

So, in essence :

1. you steer to align the Bomb Fall Line with your target
  2. you press DMS forward or DMS aft to move the caret on the Bomb Fall Line and place it on your target
  3. you press DMS right to ground stabilize the caret over your target
  4. you fly a standard CCRP approach and maintain the Weapons Release button pressed to drop the bomb

Except it doesn't work for me or one of the other guys I play with. I have checked all the bindings and can slew up and down all day long but it will not designate/stabilize. I guess this must be another bug.

It's not a bug. You need to create a binding for the "target designate fwd". You move up and down the bomb line, and then press that button to put the caret over the target.

I've done it many times and it works as described.

It's not a bug. You need to create a binding for the "target designate fwd". You move up and down the bomb line, and then press that button to put the caret over the target.

I've done it many times and it works as described.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, I have submitted a screenshot. This is the button that I have designated on my stick and have tried numerous times to make work with no success.

https://imgur.com/a/Y0MBvhj

Is this the binding you are talking about? If so, it does not work for me. It DOES work however for PAL in A/A mode so I know the keybind itself works. Keep in mind, just because it works for you doesn't mean it isn't bugged for someone else. Especially at this stage of release.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this is a bug or working as intended but I found the solution.

When this issue occurs the designate symbol flashes instead staying solid and bumps down the BFL when you press PAL. To fix it just cycle your HUD to any other mode then back to A/G and it will be solid now and PAL will work.

To trigger this you just have to set HUD to A/G before setting computer target

Edit: This also happens when you are too far from the target to lock on to the location the TV is looking at.

Edited by jjkuza1

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly off topic, but I have just started to learn the various bombing modes and was searching the forums to see if anyone else had this issue and found this thread..

I have a hog HOTAS and my joystick has the forward aft assigned to one of the hats by default. When I select either up or down the caret doesn't move. I've checked the key bindings and all seems well. I then assigned two keyboard inputs to the same and the caret moves as expected.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.

Edit: This also happens when you are too far from the target to lock on to the location the TV is looking at.

Although it’s not the TCS but the AUG9 that is looking at the target.

Same thing when you go A2G guns

Diamond stays until AUG9 can give firing solution.

• 2 months later...
Except it doesn't work for me or one of the other guys I play with. I have checked all the bindings and can slew up and down all day long but it will not designate/stabilize. I guess this must be another bug.

Did you ever get this issue sorted? My buddy and I are having the same problem - cannot get the target designator to stop blinking and stabilize. Frustrating for noobs who cannot tell if it is a bug or user error.

• 9 months later...

I had same issue. Solution for me was to switch WCS switch in RIO pit to XMIT position.

• 9 months later...

I know this is a 2 years old question. But late is better than never. I've found out that the target designate fwd/PAL won't work if you slew the diamond up or down before pressing the PAL button. So press the PAL button BEFORE slewing up or down. Then press PAL again to lock on target. This fixes the issue for me. Hope it helps

Edited by masyraf
  • Like 1