Joystick curves and the Tomcat...

Donut

What are everyone's thoughts on joystick curves for pitch and roll?

I know it is a subjective topic and varies between sticks but I just wanted to get an overall feel if and what others were using. With FBW aircraft, curves haven't been really an issue and I was fine using no curves at all.

So far, I feel the Tomcat may be a bit more sensitive and I was thinking that setting in some curves may help lessen that, especially while refueling. I don't know what a realistic curve setting would be though...

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

X52 here. I had to leave the pitch curves at zero otherwise the pitch axis felt extremely heavy. Roll axis I set to 15, which is perfect for wings out but still quite sensitive when wings are swept. My rudders are 15-20 and still extremely sensitive when in the air, but perfect for NWS. The wide changes in sensitivity between flight regimes makes dialing in curves extremely difficult.

Using an X52 I have pitch and roll set to 25 but I feel this is too much. Going to lower to around 15 and see how that works for me. Just remember that it's all about experimenting and trying to find that sweet spot between your hardware and preferences.

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17

anyone got their settings for the t16km?

I guess you are referring to Thrustmaster T16000M, I'm experimenting with the following:

Pitch / Roll:

Deadzone = 5

Curve = +15

Rudder:

Deadzone = 6

Curve = +18

:joystick:

Using an X52 I have pitch and roll set to 25 but I feel this is too much. Going to lower to around 15 and see how that works for me. Just remember that it's all about experimenting and trying to find that sweet spot between your hardware and preferences.
And between normal flight and AAR.. >_<

Warthog here, 10 on both pitch and roll, feels just right to me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• 3 weeks later...
;3869632']With the X-55 the line between not enough pitch and ripping my wings off being so fine makes it extremely hard to dogfight.

Trying a heavy curve

I have the X55 too. After some testing, I found that -15 in pitch and roll works for me. Try that and see what it does for you.

So how is everyone coming along with their curves? Find anything that works yet?

I am having the hardest time. Curves that work for ACM end up not working for refueling, formation flying, and landing. I can't find a happy medium. The positive curves end up being too sensitive at the end of the spectrum for aggressive maneuvering and the negative curves are too sensitive around center for refueling and landing. For me, 0 curves don't feel right either. With the Hornet, 0 curves work perfectly fine so I don't know what it is.

What are you guys at Heatblur finding best works for the Tomcat in regards to stick curves?

TM HOTAS X - no deadzones, pitch - 0, rudder - 0, roll - had to add some positive curve

btw: Where are the guys "No! Don't use curves! You're messing the whole flight model!" ?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

btw: Where are the guys "No! Don't use curves! You're messing the whole flight model!" ?

This is what I am trying to figure out as well. Are 0 curves the most realistic and however the Tomcat handles with these curves is real to life and we just need to adapt.

Edited by =BJM=

I'm now using -8 on both pitch and roll with my Warthog. Seems nice to me :D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Zero curves from release date to now. I can handle her just fine in routine flight operations, take offs, landings and BFM. I am somewhat tempted to add some curve to the rudders, but not ATM. I am yet to try carrier operations and air-to-air refueling though.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Quite some modules in DCS are literally unflyable without curves on my FFB2 - and I'm being used to the Sopwith Camel in a sim that didn't have curves for a very long time. Everyone who knows that, will understand me - it's very similar to the MiG-28 if you set the realistic mode in the options where your stick center is almost at the front wall...

As for the Tomcat, I'm happy with no curve on the pitch axis, but I've set 25 on the roll axis as this thing's roll rate is so insane a FW-190 looks like an Airbus compared to it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 months later...

just recently dropped down to -12 for pitch and roll. thought it would be crazy, but i ended up liking it better than having it at + 12 for pitch and roll.

anybody have any suggestions for the rudder inputs? i have the thrustmaster TPR rudders. anybody using these and have any ideas about curve set up?

0 curves or deadzones on my center-mounted Virpil T-50 grip/WarBRD base.

It's precise enough to handle the F-14 or the F/A-18 intuitively. The F-5 can feel twitchy at first, but you just have to get used to a "less is more" approach to handling the stick. Aim to move it with just your fingers and wrist most of the time. Forearm should be resting on your leg. This is how it's done in real fighter aircraft.

I have the TM Warthog on a 10cm extension, and TM TPR rudder pedals:

My baseline for any aircraft in DCS is dead zone of 1 (no joystick is built perfectly, not even the TM Warthog), 8 curvature for pitch and 12 for roll, and 0 for yaw. This works extremely well for both the F-18 and F-14, so I left them at that.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset