[WIP] Jester is just not doing his job in air to ait engagements

BlueAngel

Also the radar symbols show you if they are friendly or enemy - have that up on the lower screen and just glance at it if you are not within easy visual range. ^ for bandit, half circle for friendly and square bracket for unknown. Set your datalink up also.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After these last updates, I can see Jester is much better finding and locking targets. BUT...

Now he loses lock upon firing a weapon. This happened to me almost always firing phoenixes. Anyone having this?

"The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods.

More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine." — Plato, Phaedrus.

• 4 weeks later...
After these last updates, I can see Jester is much better finding and locking targets. BUT...

Now he loses lock upon firing a weapon. This happened to me almost always firing phoenixes. Anyone having this?

Yup. Phoenixes rarely hit for me because Jester loses track after I've fired them and the missile goes stupid.

Tried the Kish Kat attack mission today and lost all my Phoenixes from well within optimal range (the thicker bar on the velocity vector on TID). Then you try sparrows, and they bite off on enemy chaff right away, leaving you dodging the AI missiles - oh, and those things don't seem fooled by any amount of chaff, you have to aerodynamically defeat them.

AI wingmen are still useless... Very frustrating to try and play that mission alone and with one hand tied behind your back.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Yup. I'm putting the f14B on hold till jester gets an update. Too frustrating to play with what feels like a mentally challenged RIO.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just pretend he’s a USAF WSO, it’ll be more in line :megalol:

Upon more thought and a review of the manual, I believe jester losing targets in TWS after missile launch is probably more related to the fact TWS Auto is not implemented yet. Auto mode is required after launch and is supposed to modify scan volume and azimuth to keep the targets illuminated. Without this system implemented yet, the RIO must do it manually, which isn’t realistic anyway and Jester isn’t up to the task (I think it would be tough for a human RIO to do while ownship and targets are both manoeuvring)

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Until Jester gets better at managing the scan volume would it be possible to implement scanner elevation control when you are in the front seat as commanding Jester to scan up or down is done in too large increments (16 & 45 degrees is what I recall) and makes keeping tabs on bandits nearly impossible. No point in having a look down shoot down radar if you need to be co-alt to maintain contact.

i7-10700K @ 5Ghz | Asus Z490 Tuf Pro Gaming | RTX 3090 | 64 Gb RAM @3.6Ghz | 1TB Samsung 970 EVO+ SSD | 1TB addlink S70 M.2 SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | 4TB HDD | Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Until Jester gets better at managing the scan volume would it be possible to implement scanner elevation control when you are in the front seat as commanding Jester to scan up or down is done in too large increments (16 & 45 degrees is what I recall) and makes keeping tabs on bandits nearly impossible. No point in having a look down shoot down radar if you need to be co-alt to maintain contact.

Yep this is a real problem. Some tasks Jester is very good at (hooking targets for example) but once you get close enough that elevation matters he just goes to pieces. Particularly when you compare it to in the F-18 where can quite confidently keep targets locked up.

I find there is a 20nm gap between where Jester is effective and where the pilot lock on modes start.

Just go STT and you can launch the first phoenix outside 40nm and then crank, You will still be able to get the next off the rail before your enemy can get in good parameters. Talking about AI opponents here of course.

But i agree, working with Jester is not an easy task atm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.

• 1 year later...

maybe someday Jester will qualify to be an actual RIO.....    I'll be honest, when I first thought of Jester, I was worried he would be 'too good' - that has never been a problem with this F14 though 🙂

is there a reason all of his callouts are so dated - he will call out something at 3 o'clock that happened 20 seconds in the past, he might as well not say anything at all!

Edited by USA_Recon