[RESOLVED] Angle-of-Attack Indexer Light to dark

Natalon

In my point of view i think the Approach Indexer is to dark. The manual says that the light intensity of the AoA-Indexer can be adjusted from 0-14. The thumbwheel in the F-14 shows only 1-9, so how can there be an adjustment of up to 14?

In the current version i found the red light for "Fast" much to dark and in normal view you cant even see it during landings.

for comparison:

F-14B Lights (with full cranked up to 9):

vbEpyx5t3OSdVfBKFMO-q0EEQWaJTo_SdcXlriYupF9qNRleOMe2jtyzlPNbPPU9Tbt3edtp2SX0IqkIdzctsvrldTA2-atSFojm_Hye9vxmkIPKxpouqXkEOYmts9Es5lRt57cD6xTAppWJOK_oB3O4Bn0RLHh0x1E_6xu0_n6fzIyOj1eQFlFWwGb_NBD_e_xl6jWENgXr4w5KEAKpWdtsOh5bmmqG_Zh2UhyMej5q5u9CWe7oW8-iQ6tlOSAEn879mTB5ygiv4DBMyNqkO1vjgQD58dKQQZUvmYNMrmAXQkk1OnhTt5w_OBvvOVAOOvtCV_xv9HACyxCw75zOeJtzcEH0f425kYytAK5TiUXHDrtL6R8QH0cqXivnG0S13RJ0SMup6WizPXXwa5MQHdd1r9Ux8m3Ljdp0Z-rq7LmvMQBucagh4qtQHMs10H6MBFcMjazgpS8ApxiVrPp2ZMRHHVloLjsUVLHfW7TAzITmOh8oI_wmXod8eeEyMTtRiE0d57MBnEbAZQ1stN3pGquGpjhdvY6aDmPA4M8xr3E_GR4lod1MF1Lnz8oH3xdg-RrHL1Jip9iPOe1aK0sv4QNcZa4oTrSnGTJnmW3pwSuU70UFnk7kesvz1disBfAuTQKkFiR2S75z_1TppSa0JsMoN5aglmM=w2308-h1298-no

F/A-18:

-ETAllrjih7q7xvet3khzGatB1ww-pS2M92bTVh0IPtc5H5Qd9WJi4IqeDv7Xs428A8OD7Qfjs2Nc-_eWg9jGYKMb3RqxaTApxKnwzWG14GLwVFkfMkh22xsHd2BqjeeeFCg5xGvaMXjj2FxcF-naL9jqA3rTJVzHvrbJMsq9QegE33Dn_QDy5251SS45ra6ajzSkDRpwWcT4jBd7Aw5ach7t8QYonNIKGkn-z-CjRMENusbxQtGPHmDQE2wOyU2nNQC4BV1mkI-jJJd491xd0vL6qIqQ5Zr7hoWejZ-U19bol3da7ftrUQ_9GqqvZIRoU_cc96WnQcYy2kHbtYQrQPoC6R4mHPtxr-7lNjIlr58_6rg86jFPK3LiLxu-pqCqM7aCTobxY55vCBAuWZcM7VZLtNZEDoN5IjsMwisbDLHaAIDiEKrJEMmW55HCSznvSSgfkHY2J9p2AKRqGirsU4vegGZUWr8XSt6Q-hxUJMyTxcu2um2-3kN4d5-elf76_r9U4b9fDzW8UAhlxcqr1NNbxat_hp4Uq2M1F1EMExf0qjWuVKYY18bem6AoHy6nycK0P5ndOoJkS3Tq896zcUx9AZqicMDK11sEMPGNnrx18xckbVcjtt3xYl4PjQU8EAxDBt6rSju-sKhrECrGRSaEKMxLUk=w2308-h1298-no

Is there any possibility now to brigthen the lights up?

Edited by IronMike

Hard to say. The HUD in the F14 was fuzzy and far less crisp than the Hornet. The VDI wasn't very high resolution, and I just turn on the instrument lights on every flight due to the limitations of dynamic range of the sim.

I do that in all of the modules, frankly.

Viewpoints are my own.

It is all too dark and dirty....:detective:

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

+1, crank up that brightness ples Heatblur!

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

+1, crank up that brightness ples Heatblur!

Same here!

+1

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

+1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

Hard to say. The HUD in the F14 was fuzzy and far less crisp than the Hornet. The VDI wasn't very high resolution, and I just turn on the instrument lights on every flight due to the limitations of dynamic range of the sim.

I do that in all of the modules, frankly.

Don’t think OP is talking about the HUD at all. He’s talking about the brightness of the AOA Indexer lights to the left of the HUD, I would also agree they are too dark to be useful in a lot of situations.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

+1

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...

+1

In addition:

- as reported elsewhere, the key bindings for the AOA lights do not seem to work (I do not see the wheel move when I use they key bindings that I set in "Controls").

- even when I click on the wheel to adjust AOA light intensity, it does not seem to have any effect on the AOA indexer. Stays very dim always.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to add my voice to this one. Can barely see the indexer on max brightness (can't see the red light at all). Makes learning to land this thing properly kinda hard, since the "E" in the HUD lags.

What about AoA Indicator? http://www.heatblur.se/F-14Manual/cockpit.html#angle-of-attack-indicator

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

I've held off for so long long in purchasing the F-14 due to its hefty price tag but took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and although it's clear that it's a stellar module, for me, flying with the Reverb Pro in VR, the module is quite useless as I can't land the sodding thing because of this problem alone. Yes the "e-bracket" is painfully slow to align which I understand is a realistic function but the AOA indexer is a complete joke. For the 1st few flights I thought it wasn't even working at all until curiosity got the better of me & I leaned 'into the view' and just made out a 'hint' of a red 'too fast' indexer.

I can't even attempt carrier landings. I've tried playing with the gamma, bloom, the indexer brightness knob, even changed the weather to overcast and nothing helps. I know the DCS lighting isn't the best but didn't they rectify a lot of the lighting issues in a not-so-long ago update & it's curious that I've no problem at all in the F-18 or the Harrier (& even the freeware Skyhawk).

Just to add, I only fly using the stable version these days.

Very concerned this has been an issue for so long. An $80 aircraft that I can't even fly :(

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

I've held off for so long long in purchasing the F-14 due to its hefty price tag but took the plunge a couple of weeks ago and although it's clear that it's a stellar module, for me, flying with the Reverb Pro in VR, the module is quite useless as I can't land the sodding thing because of this problem alone. Yes the "e-bracket" is painfully slow to align which I understand is a realistic function but the AOA indexer is a complete joke. For the 1st few flights I thought it wasn't even working at all until curiosity got the better of me & I leaned 'into the view' and just made out a 'hint' of a red 'too fast' indexer.

I can't even attempt carrier landings. I've tried playing with the gamma, bloom, the indexer brightness knob, even changed the weather to overcast and nothing helps. I know the DCS lighting isn't the best but didn't they rectify a lot of the lighting issues in a not-so-long ago update & it's curious that I've no problem at all in the F-18 or the Harrier (& even the freeware Skyhawk).

Just to add, I only fly using the stable version these days.

Very concerned this has been an issue for so long. An $80 aircraft that I can't even fly :(

I know that Chuck's Guides says using the E Bracket and aircraft reticle is unreliable but I find it extremely useful. I learned that from another civilian-ish sim (that I played the crap out of) that I won't mention here. Yes the AOA indexer is horribly dim, but you can land with it. You may want to try it on land multiple times to get used to it but it is doable.

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

An $80 aircraft that I can't even fly :(

No amount of instruments or exaggerations will help you if you're unwilling to learn. You have 3 hints for AoA alone. You can also ditch it and rely on oldschool IAS, vertical velocity and/or pitch angle. For carrier you have ICLS, then meatball - just adjust to proper vertical velocity or IAS. If you still prefer computers go full autothrottle and ACLS. Btw: you don't have to land at all if it's not what you like - it's just a sim.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria