Memory leak?

I have the problem to. I did a test... Quickstart "Take Off at Nellis"... In the F-5 DCS used about 9 GB of RAM, in the F-14 DCS took all, up to 15,9 GB of RAM.

Hals- und Beinbruch...

Christian | Spitfire | Bat-21

It sure is heavy in RAM usage, have you tried lowering your GFX settings down one notch? eg reduce pre-load to half of what it is now ?

Edited by HC_Official

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Guys reports like these are not really helpful. Please post your full system specs when reporting suspected issues. I've had issues but after upgrading my GFX card they went away, which makes me suspect it's more of a VRAM issue.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I have the problem to. I did a test... Quickstart "Take Off at Nellis"... In the F-5 DCS used about 9 GB of RAM, in the F-14 DCS took all, up to 15,9 GB of RAM.

I don't have the F-14 , but there is a thread about users probably needing 32GB for it.

Single player for me is not an issue but MP is just can't connect anymore.

Think this is the thread :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=234964&page=8

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Attitude Power Trim Power Attitude Trim

Wing Commander SWAC

It's probably not a memory leak, more just poor memory management. They are two different things. Hopefully it is the latter as memory leaks can be extremely hard to find. The reason behind me saying it's probably not a memory leak is that a vast majority of people are fine and hardly anyone else with very large RAM capacity are having issues. If it was a leak then even people with 128gb would eventually crash. By the way, I'm on 16gb DDR3, i7 4930 and a 1080. I can load into all of the large multiplayer servers just fine.

Apologies if I come across as a dick in this post, it just bugs me when people throw around the term 'memory leak' just because they ram usage is high :)

• Like 1

It's probably not a memory leak, more just poor memory management. They are two different things. Hopefully it is the latter as memory leaks can be extremely hard to find. The reason behind me saying it's probably not a memory leak is that a vast majority of people are fine and hardly anyone else with very large RAM capacity are having issues. If it was a leak then even people with 128gb would eventually crash. By the way, I'm on 16gb DDR3, i7 4930 and a 1080. I can load into all of the large multiplayer servers just fine.

Apologies if I come across as a dick in this post, it just bugs me when people throw around the term 'memory leak' just because they ram usage is high :)

agree it seems to be a management issue , either vram or ram .

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

If there is anything to a memory leak there is something I called a "passive memory leak" which you could also describe as a bug in memory management, but not with the terrain/textures, is with the models/liveries browsing in mission editor and encyclopedia, otherwise 16 GB of RAM is simply not enough when you need at least a safe 2GB for the OS/Apps and I am around 16-19 GB with my 24GBs, the specifications may be going up as time goes on and I have no problem with that as long as it's justified, ofcourse the model/livery thing is a bad bug and that's not justified, this is for such a piece of software not something unexpected.

It may also be due to VRAM, the less VRAM you have the more of the VRAM data has to be offloaded into RAM which is where stuttering comes from when data that is supposed to be in VRAM is not there and has to be fetched/swapped into VRAM which on PCs takes a lot more time than on consoles which also the most modern ones got rid of dual memory completely and use only one type for everything with makes things a lot easier in many many ways for the developers. It's also the length and the type of transport, on PC you know it has to travel across the motherboard and via PCI-E and into the card, while if you have RAM and VRAM on same silicon those interconnects are much shorter and they can afford a proper implementation to make it fast, not sure also if it goes direct from RAM to VRAM or it has to pass the CPU first, I'll actually look up into this later.

Secondly it may be other things responsible for that memory usage that aren't necessairly part of the aircraft or at least not at one moment all at once, it could be a ton of liveries being loaded when they're not needed, for example.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

yea i get a memory leak window pop up when shutting down the Sim from time to time.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

I have 32GB and it crashes. Its very random. You don't know when its going to happen.

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

If u browse around hoggit reddit and discord communities, alot of others are having connection timed outs,loading screen taking way too long that normal... All reports were AFTER the release of f14..... so if its not memory leak, it def has something to do with ED side of things.

yea i get a memory leak window pop up when shutting down the Sim from time to time.

You guys need to be more specific, please post a screenshot so we can know for sure what you guys are seeing.

You should also include a screenshot of the Task Manager's Memory tab at the time of crash before you terminate the DCS process (which means before you click on any error messages, don't close them)

I have 32GB and it crashes. Its very random. You don't know when its going to happen.

That sounds familiar. But I need more information, does it crash during flying?

You should also post screenshots as I mentioned.

There may be more than one way achieveing the same kind of memory leak, or it may be two kind of separate issues.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

There is some MP connection timer in todays update, for me connecting to MP still no luck , guess 16GB don't cut it anymore. Board doesn't support more than 16GB. damn.

Or maybe my 2GB VRAM is now of no use even at low resolution for textures.

Edited by humptydumpty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wing Commander SWAC

OnlyforDCS. You might be right with vram when using f-18 only hitting maybe 4-5 GB but with the f-14 it maxing my vram out at 8 GB I have a GTX 1080 DCS setting at high preset.

6700k ,DDR4 16GB 2400mhz , Gigabyte WF3OC GTX1080

Edited by Spiggie37

• 1 year later...

happends to me since update 2.5.6 also dedicated gpu ram runs to max thats 8 gig on single player map. i'm running i7 3770k amd 5700xt and 32gigs of system mem and a 32 gig swapfile. textures on high or low don't make a difference preload full or low either.. gpu ram stays at maximum

• ED Team

Hi all,

if you are getting freezes or crashes related to this please add your dcs log after it happens, thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

• 9 months later...

Looks like you have a real problem with video memory management. I have 10700k, 32gb, 3080 and the game eats all of GPU memory. It's fine if it manages memory internally correct but I got random crashes (most of them at aircraft startup) and when I switch the cam to very distant aircraft in multiplayer.

dcs.log-20210109-224509.zip dcs.log-20210110-130128.zip dcs.log-20210110-133106.zip

Your crashlogs show no memory issue. You're having the "DXGI_DEVICE_REMOVED" error.

2021-01-10 13:30:54.617 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006
2021-01-10 13:30:54.766 WARNING LOG: 11 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2021-01-10 13:30:54.766 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: failed to create vertex buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
2021-01-10 13:30:54.766 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "failed to create vertex buffer"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11BufferManager.cpp:379
2021-01-10 13:30:54.766 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: failed to create vertex buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
2021-01-10 13:30:54.766 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "failed to create vertex buffer"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11BufferManager.cpp:379
2021-01-10 13:30:54.777 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006
2021-01-10 13:30:55.241 WARNING LOG: 50 duplicate message(s) skipped.
2021-01-10 13:30:55.241 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: failed to create vertex buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
2021-01-10 13:30:55.241 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "failed to create vertex buffer"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11BufferManager.cpp:379
2021-01-10 13:30:55.241 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: failed to create vertex buffer. Reason: DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED
2021-01-10 13:30:55.241 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Failed assert `false && "failed to create vertex buffer"` at Projects\render\dx11backend_win8\Source\DX11BufferManager.cpp:379
2021-01-10 13:30:55.249 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: DX device removed. Reason: 0x887A0006

Here are a few solutions for you to try:

1. Cause: faulty PSU
  2. Cause: SSLR enabled
  3. Cause: overclocked GPU
  4. Cause: RAM overclocked
  5. Solution: slightly downclocked GPU
  6. Solution: check for absence of dust and/or GPU well placed in its slot

It can also be an issue with the graphics driver, sometimes.

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

26 minutes ago, Timmy51 said:

Looks like you have a real problem with video memory management. I have 10700k, 32gb, 3080 and the game eats all of GPU memory. It's fine if it manages memory internally correct but I got random crashes (most of them at aircraft startup) and when I switch the cam to very distant aircraft in multiplayer.

dcs.log-20210109-224509.zip 3.78 MB · 2 downloads dcs.log-20210110-130128.zip 161.73 kB · 2 downloads dcs.log-20210110-133106.zip 183.5 kB · 2 downloads

VRAM I don't think would show up in the log.  And this is not so much the memory leak but the assets are unnecessarily too big.  If you switch to another aircraft in multiplayer, you're loading all of his plane's textures.  Which we know are not very optimized.  Each other planes in multiplayer could be as big as 2GB.

I optimized all the textures for myself.  Even ground units.  Everything runs so much smoother.

On 1/10/2021 at 3:12 PM, Taz1004 said:

VRAM I don't think would show up in the log.  And this is not so much the memory leak but the assets are unnecessarily too big.  If you switch to another aircraft in multiplayer, you're loading all of his plane's textures.  Which we know are not very optimized.  Each other planes in multiplayer could be as big as 2GB.

I optimized all the textures for myself.  Even ground units.  Everything runs so much smoother.

Hello Taz,

Could your work about optimized textures be shared ?
It seems to give great value about the game.

If yes, I should be interested to test it...

Thanks .

6 minutes ago, fab.13 said:

Hello Taz,

Could your work about optimized textures be shared ?
It seems to give great value about the game.

If yes, I should be interested to test it...

Thanks .

Was thinking about it but it's too large.  Over 10GB.

And it's matter of personal preference.  For example, on top of normal and roughmets, I downsized diffuse texture of ground units too which I don't see but as a dot.  By the way, these ground units have separate 2048x2048 texture for destroyed burnt model as the full model.  Anyway, it would not be for someone who plays CA.  I've also halved textures of aircrafts I don't have etc.  So to make it as a mod, there'd be too many versions.