F-18 Controller Issues

Re-installing from scratch.

Just wondering if anyone can help... My F18 controls are completely screwed due to a crash in DCS. All other aircraft are fine.

I've removed and re-added the axis controls but still the throttle does not work and moves the stick and rudder pedals. It's like the bindings are stuck somewhere else.

It is only the F-18C no other module affected.

I've removed the FA18 input folder from Saved Games but it still happens.

I've uninstalled the F18 and reinstalled via a repair. Still controller issues.

Is there some other config files I need to remove as I don't want to remove DCS entirely and start again.

HELP PLEASE!

Edited by X93355

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

These are some basic trouble shooting starting points which you may have already gone through, but since you haven't had any other replies:

- any chance you are assigning controls in GAME mode and playing in SIM mode (or vice versa)

- have you checked that throttle is NOT bound to stick + pedals too -- defaults tend to map controllers across the board

- when you're binding the throttle, is it moving the stick/pedal controls in the binding window? Is it moving the throttle in the binding window (there should be a line that moves up and down)

- are you using any "external" control software for you controller? Any chance something is bound wrong in there?

Thanks Rob, nothing I could do could fix this issue. I make random backups of my Saved Games and even though I copied the INPUT folder from a backup, it still didn't work. Everything was removed from axis bindings in SIM mode but would not work. I had to completely uninstall, clean registry and folders and then re-download and setup again.

PAINFUL that this can happen ED. There needs to be a little more support with these types of issues. DCS crashing caused this mid flight with the F18.

InWin S Frame with Asus Z170 | i7-6700K @ 4.5 Water Cooled CPU and Graphics | 16GB DDR4 | GTX1070 | 240GB M.2 SSD | Warthog Hotas | MFG Crosswind | 40" Samsung 4K | CV1 | Replica MB Mk10 Ejection Seat with Gametrix 908

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=236087

In summary I was forced to uninstall the beta version, delete both the game folder and the folder in the "Saved Games" folder.

Then reinstall everything from scratch.

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

I'm having a similar issue since last night after installing the F/A 18 module.

If I can explain it right, I'd say I CAN set all the key bindings I desire, in each peripheral (Mouse + Razer Nostromo + Razer BW Ult KB, Joystick & Throttle), but ever since I installed the F18 module (All Steam), on both Multiplayer and Mission editor or training missions, the F18 Sim is picking up all the A-10C Sim keybindings for some odd reason and it doesn't use the ones I have set upon the F18 Sim controls section.

The only thing I'm doing differently from before is, using modifiers along with my Joy Hat (ctrl, shift, alt, etc..), the reason being I only have one HAT on my thumb in my current joystick...

I tried deleting all the input folders and reset the game, check steam files, make specific input profiles, save/load them and the problem I describe above doesn't go away.

Should I just refresh the installation, or is there any other way I can circumvent this annoying issue?

Thanks!

Edited by Markus "Letto" Letifer

Running Modules: F/A 18 | F-14B | A-10C | Persian Gulf & Caucasus

Same issues here...

Throttle is Thrustmaster TWCS works on all other planes

Calibration on windows is ok, and sliders on controller setting show alright. In the Sim don't get complete throttle movement.

Roughly get 50% of movement, from slightly above idle to full mil. wont go past burner detente.

Thanks

Same issues here...

Calibration on windows is ok, and sliders on controller setting show alright. In the Sim don't get complete throttle movement.

Roughly get 50% of movement, from slightly above idle to full mil. wont go past burner detente.

Thanks

Sounds like you have the Afterburner Detent option turned on. Check in settings under F-18 "Special" page.

• 2 months later...
Same issues here...

Thanks

Bumbles

This is not the same issue at all. The post by rob10 muddies this up more. The problem is not solved. I have the same issue as the original post. I crashed the F-18 and ever since I cannot change the mapping of my Warthog. When I move the left throttle, the rudder pedals move. The thumb trackball on the throttle moves the stick. No matter what I change this mapping stays. What is going on here?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You can delete the user controller binding files from your DCS settings folder. Then it resets back to defaults. Make a backup first.

C:\users\%username%\saved games\DCS world

It happened again.I launched the F-18 and didnt have my rudder controls assigned and augered straight in to the ground. After that, this same bug showed up. The throttles control the rudders, the slew control on the throttle controls the stick. I am stuck. The file paths you show above dont exist anymore. I have:

C:\users\%username%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\ but that cant be right. I deleted every saved profile and no joy. Where does the F-18 save it's default profile? This is driving me crazy, I am about to stop flying the F-18. This needs to be fixed. PLEASE.

Again, it's only the F-18. All other planes work fine. I re-assign axis in the axis window and nothing changes. Load a different profile, doesn't matter. As soon as I hit OK the throttle goes pegged, the slew button starts steereing and when I pull back on the throttle, the rudder pedals oscillate. WTF is going on here. Tried unplugging Warthog. Same issue/ WTF is going on here?

Can you share the axis bindings by taking a screenshot of Options/Controls, Axis Commands. Show the lines from Pitch downwards. The attachment shows what mine looks like:

Note: Default axis bindings are defined by reference in the file "default.lua" under "...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Input\FA-18C\joystick". The axis section at the end of the file has these references in lines 947...:

{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("roll"),    action = iCommandPlaneRoll,            name = _('Roll'),                category = {_('Flight Control')}},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("pitch"),    action = iCommandPlanePitch,        name = _('Pitch'),                category = {_('Flight Control')}},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("rudder"),    action = iCommandPlaneRudder,        name = _('Rudder'),                category = {_('Flight Control')}},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("thrust"),    action = iCommandPlaneThrustCommon,    name = _('Thrust'),                category = {_('Flight Control')}},

And these references point to these lines in the "default.lua" under "...\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Config\Input\Aircrafts\Default\joystick":

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_X'}}, action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = _('Roll')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_Y'}}, action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = _('Pitch')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_RZ'}}, action = iCommandPlaneRudder, name = _('Rudder')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_SLIDER1'}}, action = iCommandPlaneThrustCommon, name = _('Thrust')},

These defaults are applied to every game controller you have connected. And that results in multiple assignments. For example, I had the pitch axis assigned to joystick, throttle and MFG pedals. I have gotten rid of these defaults by modifying the default.lua.

1566958731_FA-18CAxisBindings.thumb.jpg.1ddc2a9a00d80b6c16cc51f4c649f012.jpg

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The control profile, Sim or game, that gets used by the F18 is determined by how the flag is set in IIRC the gameplay settings tab. It is not determined by which profile you choose to amend when you go into the control settings page.

Please forgive me if you already know this, but from the information you have provided, this could be explained by your changes being applied to one of the two profiles and then, when you load the F18, the other profile is being used.

If you open the control bindings, via the esc menu from within the module, then that should show the currently active profile. Confirm that this is the profile you expect it to be and make any changes you require.

If it isn't then you will need to go to the settings page, via the main menu, to change to the desired game or Sim mode.

• 3 weeks later...