[NO BUG] Fuel Flow Readings

Steve Davies

It appears that there's a sweet spot in the throttle travel between MIL and afterburner where FFH increases dramatically, but the nozzles remain closed the AB does not light off. You can therefore remain in MIL, but be consuming fuel as though you were in MIN AB.

Not sure whether this is a bug, or whether it's a very clever simulation of fuel flow increasing prior to AB light-off.

In any case, given that I glance at FFH to indicate whether the AB has lit, I noticed it and thought I would raise it here.

Edited by IronMike

its called mil power. if you are at 99% or 100% with low TIT and low FF, you are in nominal power.

As I said, it exists *between* MIL and MIN AB.

I advance throttles and read 100% RPM on the tapes. I see c.840 TIT and c.950 PPH but burner is not engaged.

Now I advance the throttles all the way - nozzles open, burner lights off, PPH and TIT remain the same.

Well it’s important to note that the fuel flow gauge does not show afterburner related fuel flow, only core engine fuel flow.

So it isn’t an indication of when the burners have lit. Also, fuel flow is not exactly coupled to RPMs, so you may be seeing the AFTC metering fuel based on throttle position, but not leading to a meaningful change in engine RPM.

-Nick

Well it’s important to note that the fuel flow gauge does not show afterburner related fuel flow, only core engine fuel flow.

So it isn’t an indication of when the burners have lit. Also, fuel flow is not exactly coupled to RPMs, so you may be seeing the AFTC metering fuel based on throttle position, but not leading to a meaningful change in engine RPM.

-Nick

:thumbup: