VR hands unintended interactions

ShuRugal

I'm not sure if this is a DCS F-14 bug, or a DCS World bug, but I've only encountered it in the F-14. I also posted this thread in the DCS F-14 bug reporting forum, in case it is an F14 module issue.

It seems that with the update that added the F-14, we got "touch to toggle" switches.

Which is fantastic, it really is.

The problem is that some switches require the grip trigger to be held to interact (so you get the "finger laser") and others do not.

The problem I am having is the ones which do not require the grip trigger to be squeezed. It seems to be switches on the right side of the cockpit which are more likely to be a problem with this: I cannot interact with any left-panel switches unless I squeeze the grip. The right panel, however, appears to be open-season: If the VR hand passes through a switch, it will activate it, regardless of whether I am using the grip trigger.

This causes problems when I interact with menus or put my touch controller down so i can grip the stick. So far, I have managed to:

• Jettison the canopy (about 75% of the missions flown so far)
  • Turn off the generators (50% of the time when I set hand controller down)
  • Toggle the hydraulic transfer pump (the other 50% of the time when I set hand controller down)
  • toggle bleed air source (25% of the time)
  • reconfigure my HUD and MFDs (about 10% of the time)

All in all, it's fairly annoying. I have started keeping my hand controller on my lap (rather than its hook on my chair side), but i still end up starting many missions with no canopy, because the canopy jettison lever is exactly where the "start mission" button is after loading in. In fact, the first two times I tried to run a cold start training, I thought I was experiencing a bug with the canopy failing to render, because I jettisoned it before I could even get past the briefing pause screen.

After my experiments with touch controllers, I found I could use them, but that the mouse was better, and in many ways more immersive. Nothing like a random phantom hand floating in your pit, or outside it to break immersion.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Canopy Jettison seems to be my new party trick :doh:

"Ok INS is finally done time to taxi" point over towards the runway

*Pop*

Love the hand controls for everything else though it's amazing!! Pressing the radar modes or flipping switches, it's so cool

• 3 months later...

I have seen that in the Hornet and MiG-15bis as well. Other than that, the UH-1 doesn't have things to interact with except for the door on the right side and I didn't try other modules yet. So this is a general issue with DCS... the controllers shouldn't interact at all without the grip button pressed (pointing with index finger) pinkie-approved.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, I was doing all my testing in the Ka-50

I thought it was that my right hand was doing it and the left hand was ok, but now that you pointed this out I imagine it's just that I was using my right hand for stuff on the right side and left hand for stuff on the left side.

Either way, unintended button presses are a BIG problem so I think we need to figure out how to make sure this bug really gets ED's attention!

Edited by TripRodriguez

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Demo of my 6DOF Motion VR Sim:

Another problem is that when you press one button with the "finger touch" without pulling the trigger, it often gets triggered multiple times. This should definately be prevented as well as triggering it again when pushing the virtual finger too far in and out again, or let's say it differently: The buttons and switches should not be manipulated when the fingertip touch point wanders from inside the dashboard back to the pilot, striking the button or switch again as this usually happens when pushing a button, but pushing the finger too far in the first place as it's not blocked by anything.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• 3 months later...

yeah i'm jumping in and adding a +1 to this...really frustrating.

the "hands-free" button pushing should be at least an option in the settings... it's too easy to hit buttons/switches by accident.

in the f18, when my hand is on the HOTAS stick IRL, it doesn't perfecting line up with the VR cockpit so my hand keeps hitting the buttons on the lower mfd...I usually just fly with it off now to prevent accidental activation.

We have the ability to use the grip (laser) and trigger to interact with the cockpit with, which is awesome, I love it...Just let us turn on/off the "hands-free" button pushing.

@BlimpyBoy thanks for posting. I'm going to try to get the facebook DCS VR group on this topic. This is infuriating and I can't imagine anyone is using it this way.

I bet ED will say nobody uses the VR controller support so it's not worth working on. Nobody uses it because they haven't put in the effort to make it work well! Not to sound like a broken record but XP11 has fantastic VR controller support so I don't want to hear excuses that it can't be made to work well.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on this? I'd like to have it reported... keep pressing buttons and switches or even opening my canopy in the Hornet when I put my VRC away. And it would be great if the hands would fade out and not kill my immersion floating somewhere outside of the cockpit.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Any word on this? I'd like to have it reported... keep pressing buttons and switches or even opening my canopy in the Hornet when I put my VRC away. And it would be great if the hands would fade out and not kill my immersion floating somewhere outside of the cockpit.

Couldn't agree more. It's really a shame there doesn't seem to be a way to get in direct contact with ED about this. I'm sure it doesn't help that so few are complaining.

Because DCS's VR hand controller implementation is terrible almost nobody uses it, and because almost nobody uses it ED doesn't seem to think it's worth putting any effort into it.

How to break the cycle?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

+1 MiG 19 hitting the canopy jettison lever often and I think I've cut the engine generator twice. Very frustrating how inconsistent the hands are. Xplane does it well

Windows 10 Pro 64bit, i7-9700KF @ 3.60GHz, 32GB RAM, GeForce RTX 2070 Super 1800MHz, Occulus Rift S, CH Pro Pedals, CH Pro Throttle, Virpil MongoosT-50 CM2, Virpil VPC WarBRD Base.