F-14 Tomcat loading times

IronMike

I purchased the F-14 yesterday and have seen some lengthy load times, however they seem to be much better in Single-player than in Multi-player.

Specs:

CPU : Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz

GPU : Radeon RX 470

MEM : 16 GB DDR4 3000MHz

Seagate 2TB hard drive (not solid-state)

As mentioned, Multi-player loading times are significantly longer than Single-player loading times, but the way the plane loads is also different. Loading into Single-player, the plane simply drops into the world after the loading screen and is ready to go. In Multi-player, however, the plane first loads the cockpit as a gray model, then very slowly adds textures to the cockpit. The last thing to load is the reflections on the gauges and screens, usually a few minutes after the plane loads into the world.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As mentioned, Multi-player loading times are significantly longer than Single-player loading times, but the way the plane loads is also different. Loading into Single-player, the plane simply drops into the world after the loading screen and is ready to go. In Multi-player, however, the plane first loads the cockpit as a gray model, then very slowly adds textures to the cockpit. The last thing to load is the reflections on the gauges and screens, usually a few minutes after the plane loads into the world.

Unfortunately this is normal for MP. Depending on the mission and your graphics settings (textures quality mostly) it takes much longer than SP. You're currently tormenting yourself staying with the HDD.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 1 year later...

About one year ago the loading times for the F-14 were acceptable and after the first few reloads it all went quite fast. Now I came back to this module and the loading times have significantly increased to about 5 minutes or more despite DCS being installed on a SSD. Since I am often reloading missions, the F-14 has become almost unplayable for me. Other modules (even the Mi-24 Hind) are loading much quicker than the F-14.

Also my RAM usage is increasing  to almost 28 out of 32 GB during loading. It seems to me like a bug.

The  task manager says that my SSD is at full working load, while my CPU and my graphics cards are not working very hard, so the reading times  are the bottleneck here.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5

GTX 1050 Ti

32 GB RAM

SSD-type: WDS100T2B0A-00SM

Edit: "Wait for pooled task 2" is often the phase when it takes a lot of time to load. For other modules this is not the case.

Edited by Tiramisu

22 hours ago, Tiramisu said:

Now I came back to this module and the loading times have significantly increased to about 5 minutes or more despite DCS being installed on a SSD.

Jesus! That's bad man. Have you tried repair or reinstall? I run DCS on i5 9600KF, 32GB ram DDR4 and GTX 1060 with 6GB, it takes about half a minute to load 😕 . Here is a sample of starting an instant action. 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Thanks, a repair does not seem to help, although I can try it again to be sure. I have not done a full reinstall yet, but I guess that would be my last option, once I get a better SSD. For now I will simply avoid the F-14 and just hope that the performance gets better in the following updates.

15 minutes ago, Tiramisu said:

Thanks, a repair does not seem to help

Sorry to hear that mate. 😕 
I do hope the reinstall works! 

EDIT: not an expert on SSD's, but for what is worth, this is what i use:
https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-2-5--sata-iii-500gb-mz-76e500b-am/

Edited by captain_dalan

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

23 minutes ago, Tiramisu said:

Thanks, a repair does not seem to help, although I can try it again to be sure. I have not done a full reinstall yet, but I guess that would be my last option, once I get a better SSD. For now I will simply avoid the F-14 and just hope that the performance gets better in the following updates.

Any mods? Already tried clean profile? I'd also suspect AV software.

Do disk/SSD benchmarks results look fine?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria