F14 Skinners thread (Paintkit in 1st post)

David A Sell

Looking really good, Sadjad!

One thing I'm wishing for - that might be relatively easy to make - is some VF-103 and VF-74 birds from the Desert Storm era. The stock skins are really nice - but it's ony one bort number. The CAG birds from that time were looking almost the same as the line birds, afaik.

Those squadrons flew A+ models (later re-designated F-14B) back then - so with our Tomcat model in mind, the Sluggers and the Be-Devilers are quite interesting.

Modules: F-14A/B | M-2000C | AJS-37 | Mi-24P F/A-18C | A-10C II | F-16C | UH-1H | F-5E | Mi-8 | FC 3 | AV-8B | A-4E | Gazelle | Ka-50 | Yak-52 | CE2

Maps: Syria | Marianas | NTTR | Persian Gulf | Caucasus

Setup: Virpil WarBRD Base & VFX TM Warthog | Arozzi Velocita Stand | Monstertech Mount | MFG Crosswind | Cougar MFDs | VRInsight Panel | JetSeat 908 | TrackIR

I have been working on some Sara skins for them. With realistic weathering, colour tones and sun saturation. One small gripe I have with the HB skins is that they’re all far to dark of a tone to be realistic. Especially the 207 Sluggers skin. 207 was incidentally the Tomcat involved with the AIM-7 shot and is one of the most photographed Tomcats of DS.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Good point. I can't wait to see VF-84 low viz when the A is out. My favorite low viz scheme. Hoping for at least 4 numbers.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Looking really good, Sadjad!

One thing I'm wishing for - that might be relatively easy to make - is some VF-103 and VF-74 birds from the Desert Storm era. The stock skins are really nice - but it's ony one bort number. The CAG birds from that time were looking almost the same as the line birds, afaik.

Those squadrons flew A+ models (later re-designated F-14B) back then - so with our Tomcat model in mind, the Sluggers and the Be-Devilers are quite interesting.

The challenge I've been running into is tracking BuNOs to which MODEX, and even tougher is pilot names. Generic MODEX skins aren't as tough to pull off but pilot names are proving very tough for me to find for more than a few birds.

Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

VF-11 and VF-31 1988 [WIP]

VF-201 & VF-202 [WIP]

Hello,

new to the Tomcat but totally un-talented to do some skins.

Has anyone considered doing one of the aircraft used by NASA as testbeds?

Looking at the engine nozzles, these are no B versions, but some fictional skins are nice to have.

NASA 991 or 834

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/F-14/F-14_proj_desc.html

https://www.nasa.gov/centers/dryden/multimedia/imagegallery/F-14/ECN-11648.html

Regards

Jens

This might be counter to the pursuit of accuracy, but considering DCS takes place in a fictional world, sometimes skipping the crew names might be okay. Who is to say that in the DCS universe those same aviators are in the player's squadron? It's a stretch but just a thought.

These all look fantastic, guys. I'm also +1 for VF-103 and VF-74 circa Desert Storm. AA212 would be a particular ask. If needed, I can provide scans of the Afterburner Decals 1/48 sheet which includes 200, 201, and 212 from the ODS deployment.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

I've dug myself into skinning the F-14, because I'll need a couple of liveries for my new campaign "Fear the Bones!". These are placeholders for the B model, but I'm hoping it will be an easy transfer once the A is out and I won't have to do these from scracth. VF-84, VF-41 and VF-1, all from 1989:

HVByle.png

HVC9Uu.png

HVCJHb.png

HVCdRj.png

HVC2Ox.png

HVC3DQ.png

Edited by Reflected

Looks great. Aren't the big roundels from the 70s though?

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Thanks guys!

The big roundels were used until the beginning of 90s in some units. See this link. All skins were meticulously recreated based on these photos. I even re-did some of the stock stencils and labels because they looked different on the given aircraft. I've really gone OCD with these, haha :D

http://www.seaforces.org/usnair/VF/Fighter-Squadron-84.htm

I'm working on the rough met files now, and I need some help. I know A models painted gull grey were quite glossy in the 70s. The current default rough met is perfect for later, ghost grey Tomcats. However, late 80s gull gray Tomcats are what I'm after, and most photo evidence suggests they were far, far less Glossy than 10 years before. Just how glossy, I don't know, it's hard to tell. Does anyone have a good photo of a gull grey Tomcat around 1990 where the finish is clearly visible? Thanks in advance!

f8DWREn.png

VF-14 Line Birds in the making.

According to a Book they used both, Tactical Ghost Grey and Light Gull Grey painted birds on their last cruise. The one above is sporting Light Gull Grey :thumbup:

Edited by VFlip

What is the secret to getting really high def textures in the sim? I mostly see this being a problem in the cockpit area of modules. I have tried smaller textures and up to 4K textures but they seem to remain blurry when zooming in after resizing them to the required sizes.

Almost Done 3-6049 Splited Camo

unknown.png?width=1152&height=677

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

Stunning mate, well done

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM