16 GB RAM is not going to cut it anymore

MobiSev

I’ve been meaning to get more RAM for a while now, but I haven’t really felt the urgency until last night. Man, my performance took more of a hit than I was expecting. Just ordered 16 more GB RAM.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

Agreed. My next build therefore will have 64GB. Times have changed indeed.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I’ve been meaning to get more RAM for a while now, but I haven’t really felt the urgency until last night. Man, my performance took more of a hit than I was expecting. Just ordered 16 more GB RAM.

Same. Only module that I felt the slightest of the frame rate drop.

I have 16 and run in VR, only hit 12gb last night while flying. Doesnt leave much room but I feel it's enough for now. You guys are right about 16 being the new min though, 8 does not cut it and I'm already planning an upgrade to have more ram slots.

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17

In fairness, it's only DCS that has this issue. Other games that are far more optimized do NOT have this issue. Even ones that have far more visual features.
No there are other games that like a minimum of 16GB of RAM, I have 24GB the maximum the motherboard can take and for at least one other game I play it really would like 32GB or more.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

In fairness, it's only DCS that has this issue. Other games that are far more optimized do NOT have this issue. Even ones that have far more visual features.

''Visual features'' like HairFX? Lol Graphics aren't what causes the drag in DCS, so there's your first problem.

Every game can be optimised, it's true, but people fling that term around in ignorance most the time. There is only so much you can optimise before running into the wall of what you're actually trying to do.

For example a ray based radar is going to be resource intensive. Can you optimise it? Yes. But it's still going to be resource hungry, no way to avoid it.

You don't get all the cool 'features' of DCS without the cost associated. Your ''other games'' aren't doing anything nearly as intensive. Witcher 3 ain't running a virtual flight model or engine systems either, it's just calculating tit jiggle. Not exactly the same caliber of software -_-

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It's probably because of Open Beta, ED will fix this issue with F-14 for the next hotfix most likely, since a huge amount of DCS players are with 16 GB RAM still (and 32 GB are too expensive, especially if you only have a 2-RAM-slot mainboard and both in use with 2x8 already, and then additionally if you need a decent 4-slot mainboard with GOOD VRMs for overclocking the CPU, since in VR most GPUs aren't even maxed out in usage. At least if you don't have a quite new Intel i7)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

....ED will fix this issue with F-14 for the next hotfix most likely...

Do you know something that we don't?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

I still feel quite OK with 16. I did have some urge to upgrade, but then figured out it will not bring anything, but mental comfort. In my setup, it's not the RAM that's bottlenecking.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

I still run 12gb of RAM with my Occulus. Having said that, I don't run crazy missions with 100's of ground units. lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348