Tomcat vs. Rudder pedals

Hello,

I have 120 USD, should I buy the tomcat or rudder pedals? I have Black Shark and A10C

Thanks

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

16gb 2400 RAM / Ryzen 5 3600 / ROG Strix RX 570 /750W thermaltake PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you already have the Black Shark I would go for some rudder pedals. Makes flying the Shark way more easier.

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)  | AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4,5Ghz | 128Gb DDR4 3200Mhz | beQuiet! Dark Power 12 1200W | 2 x 2Tb M.2 Samsung SSD | 2 x 4 Tb M.2 Samsung SSD |  Aorus RTX3090 Xtreme 24Gb | Windows 10 Pro x64 | HOTAS Cougar (heavily modified) | MFG Crosswind pedals | CH Throttle Quadrant | TrackIR5 | Oculus Quest 2 | VoiceAttack

Aviate Navigate Communicate

OK, any recommendations for pedals?

DCS A10C / DCS Black Shark /DCS F-14/Persian Gulf map/ Nevada/huey/gazelle/f18/f16/ajs37/harrier/A-4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know JJflyer. At 120 USD you are quite limited to the basic quality ones, I had Saitek's, I had Logitech ones too (around this price tag), I wasn't satisfied.

I sold them and instead use a rotary wheel on my throttle to control the rudder. Not realistic but does the job done.

All depends on other peripherals you have got, some sticks have rudder axis in them (tried that as well, not too bad)..

Go for Tomcat or Hornet :) or even better - both :)

As I said, all depends on your setup and goals, but when money is an object, 120 USD for rudder pedals is a bit limiting your freedom of choice.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I don't know JJflyer. At 120 USD you are quite limited to the basic quality ones, I had Saitek's, I had Logitech ones too (around this price tag), I wasn't satisfied.

I sold them and instead use a rotary wheel on my throttle to control the rudder. Not realistic but does the job done.

All depends on other peripherals you have got, some sticks have rudder axis in them (tried that as well, not too bad)..

Go for Tomcat or Hornet :) or even better - both :)

As I said, all depends on your setup and goals, but when money is an object, 120 USD for rudder pedals is a bit limiting your freedom of choice.

1. What was wrong with those pedals

and 2. which one? the tomcat or the hornet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1. I wasn't happy about the quality of materials - mostly plastic, the movement wasn't smooth despite setting correct tension and I could not feel the quality in-flight (A-10C) vs. money spent.

2. I will be slapped by the community for saying this...

... H O R N E T

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

1. I wasn't happy about the quality of materials - mostly plastic, the movement wasn't smooth despite setting correct tension and I could not feel the quality in-flight (A-10C) vs. money spent.

2. I will be slapped by the community for saying this...

... H O R N E T

OK, Thanks. why the hornet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the tomcat is awesome...but rudder pedals you can use for any module, and should use!

besides, the tomcat without rudder pedals is a no-go imo, as she wants plenty of rudder inputs.

but...you might want to save some more money, and get some quality stuff like the crosswinds.

Hornet

OK, Thanks. why the hornet?

Hornet:

- is a single seat, so all fun for you;

- more advanced technically than Tomcat;

- Fly-by-wire

- it is ED module (supports DCS more than through 3rd party);

- it's designed to be a true multirole fighter;

I would imagine that if you are into multiplayer and have got a good team player to be your RIO, then you could enjoy that one as well.

I am a true single player, so my opinion about multiseat is biased, although I think Jester AI isn't bad. But then again, Hornet gives you all the fun it has got.

Edited by Gierasimov
typo

Does anyone have experience with the thrustmaster pedals?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does anyone have experience with the thrustmaster pedals?

I heard that for their price they're quite okay, though very tightly spaced.

I've also had Saiteks Pro Flights (non-combat Version) and didn't like them (too tightly spaced, rather imprecise), the very old Thrustmaster RCS (no toe brakes, crappy plastic footrests, otherwise quite okay), Simped F-16 (very, very good) and now Crosswinds, and the Crosswinds beat all the others, even the Simpeds (which are no longer in production anyway) by a fair margin. Precision, durability, adjustability, after more than 5 years I can's say a bad thing about them (turns out Milan quoted me, among fellow users, on the MFG homepage, which is quite humbling ;)). If you can somehow come up with 320 Euros (plus shipping, possibly), IMHO it is well worth it.

Well you can't fly the Tomcat without rudder pedals, so yeah. Pedals.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes you can!

Well you can't fly the Tomcat without rudder pedals, so yeah. Pedals.

You don't need pedals to operate rudder in DCS modules, so technically you can very much fly the Tomcat (and others) without pedals.

I had CH pro pedals , not bad, but upgraded to Saitek combat pedals which I still have, tho I dont think they make them anymore (but lasted me years)

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

CH Pedals are in your price range. I have them and have been using them for over 10 years now. They're plastic but very heavy duty quality and include toe brakes. Spacing is decent but no adjustments for pitch angle or width so they're fixed. I used self adhesive Velcro on the bottom to stick them to the carpet to stay in place. They do tend to slide around on smooth surfaces.

Nvidia GTX-1080

Intel i7-4820K 3.7 Ghz

ASUS ROG Rampage IV Extreme MB

32 GB Memory

Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You don't need pedals to operate rudder in DCS modules, so technically you can very much fly the Tomcat (and others) without pedals.

Im sorry but that is simply not true. While it is theoretically possible, especially for certain modules, for the Tomcat it is an absolute impossibility. (It requires more rudder use, and more nuanced rudder use than even DCS warbirds do).

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

CH pedals if you can't stretch to Crosswinds.

i5 4690k / MSI Gaming 5 / 2 x 8 GB Crucial Ballistix ram / Zotac AMP! 980Ti / 2 x 250 SSDs

Flight Controls:Virpil VPC MoogoosT-50 / MFG Crosswinds / GVL Throttle / Oculus Rift CV1

I had CH pro pedals , not bad, but upgraded to Saitek combat pedals which I still have, tho I dont think they make them anymore (but lasted me years)

CH Pedals are in your price range. I have them and have been using them for over 10 years now. They're plastic but very heavy duty quality and include toe brakes. Spacing is decent but no adjustments for pitch angle or width so they're fixed. I used self adhesive Velcro on the bottom to stick them to the carpet to stay in place. They do tend to slide around on smooth surfaces.

CH pedals if you can't stretch to Crosswinds.

OK, then I think I will buy the CH pedals. Thanks for all the advice!:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Im sorry but that is simply not true. While it is theoretically possible, especially for certain modules, for the Tomcat it is an absolute impossibility. (It requires more rudder use, and more nuanced rudder use than even DCS warbirds do).

Well I've heard about people who flew DCS with an Xbox controller, and many, many pilots fly without rudder pedals because of a multitude of reasons.

I completely agree that rudder pedals are the way to go, and the higher the quality, the better. But for anyone who's on a tight budget, or simply can't use their legs or feet for whatever reason, I don't think it makes much sense to tell them it's impossible. :huh:

Up to $ 120 you are limited to buy new:

Thrustmaster TFRP ~$ 89,00.

CH Products PRO Pedals ~$ 120,00.

Logitech G PRO Flight Rudder Pedals (ex Saitek) will cost more ($150/160) and don't worth the additional cost, neither have any differential that justify this.

CH is slight more wide than TFRP, but in electronics is "obsolete" (8 bits), anyway is the most durable/reparable of the three options, with the best cost/benefit.

Care to elaborate?

Can you please tell us which part of my post is not true? Don't go there please.

TFRP is not bad, it gets the job done but it just feels like cheap plastic compared to competitions. I used mine for more than a year before upgrading to the Crosswind.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/