Jester using TWS?

tn_prvteye

Playing as pilot only, how do I use the AIM-54 and AWG-9's multiple target track and fire? It seems that the targets are getting assigned a number, but I can't fire (this was within 40nm or so). I have to go STT to fire and can't "ripple" the Phoenix that way. Am I missing a step? Is there something else I need to ask Jester to do?

Besides that, I'm totally loving the module...I have the Flu and should be resting. Yet here I am. :D

You shouldn't need to do anything other than launch - obviously make sure your master arm is on, you're in AA mode and missiles prepped, but each launch should shoot at the TWS priority targets in turn. That's been working fine for me.

How exactly to order Jester to lock on multiple targets? I can only get Jester to lock a single target at a time.

How exactly to order Jester to lock on multiple targets? I can only get Jester to lock a single target at a time.

I'm pretty sure that You cannot lock multiple targets.

Locking the radar means that it concentrates on one single target and forgets about the rest.

I think the AIM-54's can be launched without a lock, but are assigned their individual targets based on the priority number and target position is haded over via datalink until their own radar goes active.

i7-10700K 3.8-5.1Ghz, 32GB RAM, RTX 4070 12GB, 1 x 1 TB SSD, 2 x 2TB SSD2 TB,  1 x 2 TBHDD 7200 RPM, Win10 Home 64bit, Meta Quest 3.

He does it automatically. If you switch the display on the lower screen, you can see what he is tracking. All you have to do if fire off the 54s and they will track the targets in order.

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

As the guy above said, he does that by default if you don't tell him to do something different. Try it in the ME - put four targets 20nm or so in front of you, and then switch the bottom screen to the TID using the switches on the right. You'll see Jester hook each of the targets and IFF them, and you'll see numbers appear on the right-hand side of the HAFU symbols from 1-4. Those are his targeting/priority cues, if you fire four missiles, each one will attack a different target.

He does it automatically. If you switch the display on the lower screen, you can see what he is tracking. All you have to do if fire off the 54s and they will track the targets in order.

Pretty much this. Jester will default to TWS mode and if you have AIM54s selected and cooled you can fire them anytime you wish. You won't have any indications of a lock on the hud however Jester will give you callouts and if you switch to the repeater mode on the TID you will see the targets with their priority numbers.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Ah I see. Thanks everyone. I thought you had to order him to do so and there's no order for that.

Yeah it’s kind of weird that he doesn’t at least say something like, “tracking 2 bandits”

Modules owned:

FC3, M-2000C, Mig-21bis, F-5E, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, F-14A&B, JF-17

• 1 year later...

Trying to launch all Phoenix missiles at a bunch of targets.

I'd like to play pilot and request Jester do what he needs to assist. I'd like to stay out of the RIO seat.

I can get it to work...

1) Master Arm On, AA mode, Select PH missile

2) Use TID repeater so Pilot can see radar and numbers

3) Jester -> TWS

4) Fire x 6  (Firing in general direction)

This works, but I don't see the radar lock diamond nor have the target circle on top MFD display, so can't aim well.

If I use STT, I do get the lock behavior but can't easily cycle through targets.

Is there a way to get lock behavior each time the 1st/primary target changes?

Edited by DimSim

In TWS there is no lock, so you'll never get a diamond on the HUD.

On TID, you will see what order AWG-9 assigned ( I don't think Jester ever changes it) to targets.

You basically just can fire when Hot trigger light is on.

Tgt no. 1 is the next you will fire upon.

Edited by veenee
  • Thanks 1

So many modules, so little time...

www.mikphotography.com

In TWS modes the AWG-9 radar is maintaining a track file for each target, and depending on the classification of the targets by the RIO (hostile, friendly, unknown, don't attack, next target) orders the targets around automatically. TWS-Manual means the RIO controls the pointing of the radar whereas TWS-Auto means the AWG-9 controls it's own direction. You can use ctrl+enter to check which mode the radar is in (as well as your own control inputs).

Hence it is not locking the targets persay but maintaining a rough position of them updated at a regular interval (2s I believe for the AWG-9, hence why it only works with two scan patterns).  These track files are then used to guide the Aim54 to a rough position and tell it to engage its own active radar to search. There is no lock diamond or hud indication other than the "T" steering pointer in TWS-A to give a rough direction where you should be pointing. As you fire each missile the firing order will be replaced by a TTI (time to impact) estimate and the next target, previously target 2, now becomes target 1 in the firing order. The AWG-9 will also automatically change to TWS-A to try and best maintain TWS track of targets fired upon.

Note also it can be a bit tense ripple firing all 6 at once as each Phoenix usually takes 3s to get off the rail from pressing fire. So around if a little over 18s for the whole lot.

Edited by Sideburns
Clarified TWS-Auto
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5800x@5Ghz | 96gb DDR4 3200Mhz | Asus Rx6800xt TUF OC | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | VPC WarBRD base | Thrustmaster stick and throttle (Deltasim minijoystick mod).

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present 😄