Panels hard to read!

Sunshadow

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tomcat's cockpit design is not a problem. The problem is that many lables look like a museum junk that no one cared about for 20 years...

33723458a2092470.jpg

Correct

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Would be good if HB could let us choose to use worn or clean as a checkbox in settings for the aircraft.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Would be good if HB could let us choose to use worn or clean as a checkbox in settings for the aircraft.
+1000

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

I don't think its a case of any one particular item/switch label; its a combination of most, if not all, of them.

For example, the letter 'O' in some labels are so weathered that the hole in the middle isn't differentiated from the outline of the letter (ie you can't make out the hole in the middle of the O).

Whilst things like this may look great in texture rendering, in practical terms ones the camera has zoomed out to where the pilots head isn normally positioned, its illegible (due to relatively low pixel rendering densities; in 2D 4K or VR).

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

I think this is a testament to how good the art work is. I believe if we knew what the switches did and how they worked, it would not be a big deal. I struggled with the TACAN, but after I read the manual on how to change the channels correctly, I was ok. I really hope Cobra does not change the cockpit. People scream for realism until it makes them work for it.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I think this is a testament to how good the art work is. I believe if we knew what the switches did and how they worked, it would not be a big deal. I struggled with the TACAN, but after I read the manual on how to change the channels correctly, I was ok. I really hope Cobra does not change the cockpit. People scream for realism until it makes them work for it.
It should be an option. I won't fly on a screen again after VR I just cant.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

In the tutorial it took me 10 minutes of spinning the master test switch to finally deduce that I'm in the emergency gen portion. Now I know these things are no required but I like to do things by the book and learn it all properly. I just don't think not worrying about VR is something to put off quickly because it may be fine on a monitor.

I haven't used my trackir since I got the Odyssey/Rift. I also don't have issues in VR with other airframes, except maybe the harrier which I will say is also a bit hard to see.

For the most part I can tell what a switch or label should be with VR zoom. I don't think it needs a lot of changes at all. I think to make it more legible in VR we just need a less worn labels/switches and it should be perfect then. Some of those labels on the switches look like someone took sandpaper over them, a bit too worn.

It is just as un-readable on a 24" 1920x1080 monitor with TrackIR Pro even with my nose right up to the screen, and this is with my reading glasses on too.

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

The level of wear is too high. It looks impressive at first but makes many of the things next to impossible to read.

I fly in VR with PD set to 1.6.

I can almost never figure out what my airspeed is. The Master Test switch is not even possible to discern. The caution panel is useless. And so on...

In a module that is SO VERY GOOD, it is a shame it is held back by poor cosmetic choices. Hopefully this can be addressed quickly.

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

VR is just a struggle for developers in general. In the desire to be realistic, some things simply become too unreadable in VR. Please give us feedback on what particular items ar a bit of a pain and we'll make sure to alleviate as we go.

I also don't think it's a pure VR problem. Maybe reducing the weathering effects would be a good first step to solve the readability problems. If it isn't too much work you could provide two different cockpit types. Factory new and the current one.

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

A new F-14 Tomcat in her time was no less important and capable than battered and aged form now.

My gripe is with the left and right consoles mostly. The letters has got to be readable.

Not sure how they train new pilot in their days. How would a new pilot train in here.

For the veterans here, fine but new virtual pilot like me in an F-14, an equally gorgeously looking new cockpit would be good.

Just wondering, how about a virtual dynamic cockpit that ages and get worn with use?

Say you get it new on release and it wear out as you fly with time. Perhaps a new damage model applied in this sense.

I would rather have them release a 2nd option with less destroyed cockpit that we can read (and I confirm again, it's not only a problem for VR users), than designing several coloured and shaped seats that we won't see much. Those are great little touches of reality and I much appreciate them, but the primary concern should be the ability to use the module.

I suppose that the approach to weathering is to start from a fresh cockpit and to proceed iteratively by damaging and tainting the textures, so this newer or "less older" cockpit must most probably exist already.

Let's hope they hear us.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

yes is too weathering or aged as write in another post....

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

The RIO cockpit instrument labels looks way legible and cockpit in general is neater.

Seems the RIO cockpit were better maintained in RL.

This is a pet hate of mine.... using museum relic textures.. Something towards to midlife to new is what I would of preferred. How did this pass the pre-night flying checks ? I would not of signed for this...

Intel Intel Core i7-8086K

32 Gig RAM

1 Tb Nvme SSD

EVGA 1080Ti

Win 10 64 Pro

LG 34UM95 34 inch Monitor

Track IR 5

Oculus Rift

HOTAS Warthog...mod'd TDC

SIMPEDS Pedals

The artists involved in the texturing of the cockpits did an amazing job no question....if this was a static display aircraft model.

Unfortunately it isn't, and the textures are currently completely unfit for purpose. Panel labels literally have 1 job....and they aint doing it.

As the others have mentioned, perhaps keep current textures for screenshots etc, and a 'useable' set for actually flight?

I have also noticed the subtle constant 'jiggling' of the entire cockpit during flight sure isn't helping in VR either! I realilse it helps give the bird some 'life', and is awesome duing buffet...but is it necessary ALL the time?

Edited by VampireNZ

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just picked up the Tomcat, this is the first thing I noticed. Just trying to do the first training mission I can't read the master test switch or the hotmic/cold mic switch at all. I can read most everything else if i zoom or lean in.

I'm using an odyssey.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

The cockpit weathing I'm sure is 100% accurate and true to real life airframes that saw much use in the US Navy. It does look great.

However, I'd love an optional, functional, high contrast, clear label cockpit for use in VR. Not just the worst problem areas, but a complete cleaner cockpit, with crisp labels and no weathering on them. I think the general weathering is great, but the switch labels are critical for functionality. Also brighter and more readable cockpit lights.

It just isn't usable as is in VR, unfortunately.

I completely agree that it has to be realistic, but being able to read and understand the labels is part of that realism. The best solution would be to have a "VR cockpit" option.

Edited by Boris

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Another thing you can do besides turn gamma up to 2.5 is turn shadows to flat only or off. Flat only turns of cockpit shadows and off turns all shadows off. I think switches are more visible in cockpit with flat only but would still prefer a cleaner texture pit or perhaps just cleaner switch labels.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I fly VR with an Oculus so my opinion is based on that. The challenge is the game engine. DCS cockpits are difficult to read gauges and dials and spotting/identifying aircraft is pretty much impossible.

Yes the resolution issue with VR plays a role in that but I play another flight sim in VR that has a perfectly readable cockpit and spotting is no problem up to 10km.

DCS is such an amazing product in so many ways but the way the game is rendered is a major handicap imo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I fly VR with an Oculus so my opinion is based on that. The challenge is the game engine. DCS cockpits are difficult to read gauges and dials and spotting/identifying aircraft is pretty much impossible.

Yes the resolution issue with VR plays a role in that but I play another flight sim in VR that has a perfectly readable cockpit and spotting is no problem up to 10km.

DCS is such an amazing product in so many ways but the way the game is rendered is a major handicap imo.

It has nothing to do with rendering and everything to do with textures. This could easily improved by adding a "VR friendly" cockpit.

Sure there's work involved, but it's a cosmetic, not a coding issue.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

It has nothing to do with rendering and everything to do with textures. This could easily improved by adding a "VR friendly" cockpit.

Sure there's work involved, but it's a cosmetic, not a coding issue.

Well I think I disagree with 100% of your post haha. That’s fair, we can all have our opinions.

I think the F18 and F-14B pits are very much optimized for VR. Again, if you flew the other game you’d know what I mean as far as rendering. The cockpit and terrain textures in DCS are nicer imo but the visibility and clarity in the other game is better. Spotting in the other game is no problem as you can always see a dot. When you add in the x10zoom mod for VR, that game is really good as far as identifying as well. It’s pretty much impossible to do either in DCS in VR.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have the same issue, however, I don’t see what could really be done about it, without making the interior unrealistic in appearance.

I do however have a plan.

My intent is to look in the manual and take large screenshots of the panel areas that I struggle to read the text of. Then I’m going to embed the enlarged views into my knee board for reference.

Once we’re accustomed to the cockpit, then it will be 2nd nature and fine.

Not sure what you mean by "unrealistic". I was in the Sea Cadets at Miramar NAS back in the day (late 80's). Our clubhouse/meeting building was about 50 ft from the F-14 Parking area so we naturally got to go see the Tomcats all the time. The interiors were always quite clean. They were worn, as in used, but definitely not dirty/corroded (the Panavia Tornado I sat in one time was the same way). Additionally, I had a buddy at Travis AFB who was a Squadron Commander of a C-5 unit. He used to carry a microfiber cloth around with him for the displays/gauges in aircraft. I got to sit in a few of those and they were almost spotless.

Lastly, I met a few Crew Chiefs while I was in the Sea Cadets, and I think if their airplanes were as dirty as this inside they would have had a conniption. LOL

While weathering is one thing (paint worn off/chips/etc..), dirt and corrosion was something completely different in the aircraft I sat in.

:)

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348