Heatblur - The Next Big Step

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see anything positive in this, I see the end of HB, and the loss of a solid DCS 3rd party. I don't care about the spin, I've seen plenty of mergers and acquisitions and know how they end up.

Good luck personally though.

I have to agree with this here.

This might be a good thing for Cobra, and I'm happy if he's moving up in life. However, I'm not convinced this is a good thing for us. Heatblur was a DCS third party module developer. Meta Aerospace appears to deal mostly in the civilian market.

Unless the next Heatblur module is going to be DCS: Cessna 172, then I don't see the benefit. It's basically just a company removing one of the most successful and thorough module developers we have to work on their own stuff. I never had any doubt in my mind that Heatblur would continue supporting their previous modules. If the split with leatherneck didn't do it, then I'm certain nothing else will. At the same time, one of the most exciting things about Heatblur is that we had an actual developer who was making real software for our simulator instead of the collection of fly-by-night operations that clutter the third party page. Going forward is what most people worry about.

To me, this news would be concerning if HB were, while obviously continuing to support the projects they have already dedicated themselves to, were about to branch off into creating their own simulation software, as some have suggested. That's not as exciting a prospect for me as it is for others. I imagine it'd be a bit complicated, having to continue support for the products within DCS they've already created while working to create competition on an entire simulation engine to compete with DCS down the road. If they were expanding away from DCS, we could expect it to be quite a few years before we see anything from them we get to play with. That, alone, would be sad to see.

Not just this, but this would sting pretty badly if it ends up splitting the userbase for another piece of simulation software that we'll have to invest hundreds of dollars in once more.

Edited by Auditor

I am also a bit concerned reading this announcement. On the other hand Cobra has commented twice reassuring us that they are here to stay, that they don't go anywhere and that this announcement is only an even bigger reassurance of their determination to provide to their customers top quality products. I know he didn't mentioned DCS but desktop flight simulation and as far as I know this is us. If the new target was another professional commercial simulator platform that would be worded differently, wouldn't it? Plus, when Cobra says that all of us should be more than happy following this announcement, I can't see anything else than that we should be happy because Heatblur is staying with us, thus with DCS. However big this move is for Heatblur and its members personally, they would be fully aware that if they moved away from DCS, that would be bad news for all of us. In that case, Cobra wouldn't advise us to join the celebration and be so happy for their merge with Meta Simulations. They dedicated so much time and passion to develop these DCS modules. Knowing Heatblur dignity, a move away from this heritage would be clearly stated and not celebrated here in the DCS forums. That's what my perception of things and Cobra's enthusiastic post is only letting me think. If Heatblur will not develop any more for DCS this should be clearly stated and certainly it won't be a celebration day for all of us in DCS.

Edited by Ifikratis

| JF-16 Thunder | F-16C Viper | F-14A/B Tomcat | F/A-18C Hornet | AV-8B N/A Harrier II | AJS-37 Viggen | M-2000C | F-5E Tiger II | A-10C Watrhog | F-86F Sabre | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P Farmer | MiG-21bis | FC3 | L-39 Albatros | C-101 Aviojet | SA342 Gazelle | Mi-24P Hind | Mi-8MTV2 | UH-1H Huey | Ka-50 Black Shark |  P-51D Mustang | P-47 Thunderbolt | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 Dora | Bf 109 K-4 Kurfurst | Yak-52 | I-16 | Christen Eagle II | Persian Gulf Map | Nevada Test and Training Range | Normandy 1944 | Syria Map | Channel Map | NS 430

Tinfoil hat time... There is simply no consumer sim that can compete with DCS. It would be criminal to see Heatblur's talent going into something like P3D. It also seemed very specific that DCS was not mentioned. So a new unannounced sim in the works? I hope not to be honest. DCS has its flaws but it is by far the best we. I can't imagine a startup getting close to this quality in any reasonable period of time.

I'm glad the team is getting a pay day, hopefully they will be developing commercial grade sims that can be ported to DCS.

The quality of the Tomcat is near impeccable, and if Heatblur steps away from DCS I doubt we would see that level again from a third party. I'm worried...

I am also a bit concerned reading this announcement. On the other hand Cobra has commented twice reassuring us that they are here to stay, that they don't go anywhere and that this announcement is only an even bigger reassurance of their determination to provide to their customers top quality products. I know he didn't mentioned DCS but desktop flight simulation and as far as I know this is us. If the new target was another professional commercial simulator platform that would be worded differently, wouldn't it? Plus, when Cobra says that all of us should be more than happy following this announcement, I can't see anything else than that we should be happy because Heatblur is staying with us, thus with DCS. However big this move is for Heatblur and its members personally, they would be fully aware that if they moved away from DCS, that would be bad news for all of us. In that case, Cobra wouldn't advise us to join the celebration and be so happy for their merge with Meta Simulations. They dedicated so much time and passion to develop these DCS modules. Knowing Heatblur dignity, a move away from this heritage would be clearly stated and not celebrated here in the DCS forums. That's what my perception of things and Cobra's enthusiastic post is only letting me think. If Heatblur will not develop any more for DCS this should be clearly stated and certainly it won't be a celebration day for all of us in DCS.

I like this theory.

And it's the only theory that anyone should go by.

The man goes out of his way, and gives us his word, and as a result you have 7 pages of forum and hoggit garbage about how 'they are out to screw us and have let us down but not before a cleverly orchestrated sequence of events to steal from our wallets' (exaggeration for effect) -- take the man at his word - period. Deal with anomalies after, not before.

These guys must be tickled pink about what's about to happen to their careers.

It's obvious!!! Tom Cruise has entered a business deal with Heatblur to get them to do all the aerial scenes in Top Gun 2!

I am sure they are getting mega bucks...and I am sure he threw in access to his P-51 and free flight lessons! :D

Just hope there wasn't any fine print about Scientology or E-meters in the contract! ;)

[...]and as a result you have 7 pages of forum and hoggit garbage about how 'they are out to screw us and have let us down but not before a cleverly orchestrated sequence of events to steal from our wallets' (exaggeration for effect)

There is no need to overreact. First of all, most people responded very positively to this post. Moreover, I don't think it is entirely fair to just broadly label the opinion from people who didn't as garbage. Some start to listen very attentively and become wary when they read something like this as they may have had some bad experiences or seen adverse outcomes with similar occurrences in the past.

I do however agree wholeheartedly that it is way too early to seriously speculate about any of this and/or unnecessarily catastrophize things.

Not reassured. Great move for you and the team, I'm sure the products will be supported, your continued excellence was never in doubt, and now consumer is defocused and you get to make decent money for govmt and enterprise.

I work for an acquisition company, i know what's going on. It's a real shame for us. Great for you, best wishes.

You have no idea as to what is going to happen. Why do so many people in the UK hate the business world and assume the worst?

Seemingly five minutes ago half the posts on this forum were anger directed at HB over release dates, now everyone is suddenly worried that they are going to disappear.

Human behavior is bizarre.

There is no need to overreact. First of all, most people responded very positively to this post. Moreover, I don't think it is entirely fair to just broadly label the opinion from people who didn't as garbage. Some start to listen very attentively and become wary when they read something like this as they may have had some bad experiences or seen adverse outcomes with similar occurrences in the past.

I do however agree wholeheartedly that it is way too early to seriously speculate about any of this and/or unnecessarily catastrophize things.

You read the part that said 'exaggeration for effect', correct?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Great news, congratulations for Your products and for Your future in the world of combat flight simulators. I'm just landed with the F-14 and I'm without words for what You have created. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

I am in business myself, in my opinion this is a major positive move for Heatblur.

They have poured sweat and blood into this project, they have probably invested and risked alot of hard earned money. They are putting this money on the table.

Having lost alot of money in business, I truly get an appreciation for risk. What they are doing takes courage and dedication. Isn't it what this community stands for?

Godspeed Heatblur, I am positive this is a tremendous opportunity.

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

We should all be a little more positive and happy for Heatblur after the product we just received!

There are seriously many products that have become much better after acquisitions. Of course it might go wrong, but I’m still expecting a carrier for the Tomcat and it’s little buddy the A-6.

And if they did go off onto something bigger, who is to say that wouldn’t be a win for the community? We are here more as enthusiasts of aviation than enthusiasts of a brand. If there was a better sim up there, many would go to it, and come back again if this evolves to a higher level... competition can give us better products.

If it didn’t I’d still be on the circa 1986 Microsoft flight sim.

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

You have no idea as to what is going to happen. Why do so many people in the UK hate the business world and assume the worst?

Seemingly five minutes ago half the posts on this forum were anger directed at HB over release dates, now everyone is suddenly worried that they are going to disappear.

On the other hand, it would have taken Cobra literally 10 seconds to dispel all this and answer a perfectly valid direct question about it with something in the lines of "Yes, we currently plan to release more modules for DCS".

The fact that he didn't do this and went to great lengths to avoid mentioning DCS in any of his post-announcement posts, makes it quite reasonable to assume that this might be in question at the moment, to put it mildly.

To be absolutely clear, I'm glad for their success and am looking forward to whatever consumer-level comes out of this new endeavor of theirs.

Would have preferred an approach without all this deliberate vagueness, though, and the announcement felt a bit untimely, but they probably have their reasons for it.

I'll leave it at that until we get more info on their future plans.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

And this got un-stickied without a straight answer... At least it wasn't deleted. Honestly Heatblur I'm glad your getting paid you deserve it. Just hoping we weren't just shown what DCS is capable of only not to see it again. Fingers crossed for that A-6 module.

• 1 year later...

We stay vague and reserved, because it is not fair to water your mouths with things that are not even real yet, whatever that may be. In any case, we'd never abandon you as a community (unless we'd all get struck by lightning at the same time or something haha). You don't do something like the F-14 and then just disappear. :smilewink: And I think we've shown in the past couple years that we are here to stay.

As for new modules: honestly, "who cares" at this point. I mean, lol, I know you do, and I know just how much (and so do we ofc). But consider this: you already paid for something that is not even finished yet. And for us this is all that matters until it is finished. That is our obligation to you, and we are not finished yet in adding new, exciting stuff either. The A, the carrier, Jester Lantirn, etc etc...

Only once we feel that this obligation of ours to you is fulfilled, will we allow ourselves to speculate further. And at some point include you in our plans.

Please don't take this post as an incentive for further speculations like "OMG, Heatblur will never do a module again!" "OMG, Heatblur just said they plan to do a new module!" It really does not mean either, all it means is: we will not abandon you and we will finish what we started first. I'm sorry if this will have to suffice for now. Thank you for your kind understanding. :)

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

But consider this: you already paid for something that is not even finished yet. And for us this is all that matters until it is finished. That is our obligation to you, and we are not finished yet in adding new, exciting stuff either. The A, the carrier, Jester Lantirn, etc etc...

Only once we feel that this obligation of ours to you is fulfilled, will we allow ourselves to speculate further. And at some point include you in our plans.

Thank you, I think the DCS community has gotten used to Companies having multiple different EA products out and years of unfinished products, it’s refreshing and reassuring that you remain focused and understand the importance of finishing the product that you promised us. You have set the Bar not only in quality of product in DCS but your approach and management of your community.

Many Thanks and keep up the good work. :thumbup:

We stay vague and reserved, because it is not fair to water your mouths with things that are not even real yet, whatever that may be. In any case, we'd never abandon you as a community (unless we'd all get struck by lightning at the same time or something haha). You don't do something like the F-14 and then just disappear. :smilewink: And I think we've shown in the past couple years that we are here to stay.

As for new modules: honestly, "who cares" at this point. I mean, lol, I know you do, and I know just how much (and so do we ofc). But consider this: you already paid for something that is not even finished yet. And for us this is all that matters until it is finished. That is our obligation to you, and we are not finished yet in adding new, exciting stuff either. The A, the carrier, Jester Lantirn, etc etc...

Please don't take this post as an incentive for further speculations like "OMG, Heatblur will never do a module again!" "OMG, Heatblur just said they plan to do a new module!" It really does not mean either, all it means is: we will not abandon you and we will finish what we started first. I'm sorry if this will have to suffice for now. Thank you for your kind understanding. :)

Because of stuff like that i love you guys!! Best DCS Plane builder creator sorcerer of the great bugy world of dcs! Keep pushing the magic in our eyes and souls. You guys just awesome.

P.S. Witches broom confirmed.