Heatblur - The Next Big Step

Cobra847

Glad you got paid Nick! Well deserved, the 14B is awesome. Interesting firm that picked you up, they look to be involved in some pretty... uhh, spooky stuff :) Hopefully this means deep pockets and modules that would not be economically viable now are. I don't know how much better it could get after the tomcat though!

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Congrats guys! The future is bright. This seems only like the beginning. :)

Congrats.jpg

Congrats, hope this means more great modules to come!

Sim 1

I7 8700k @ 4.8ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080ti

32gb RAM

Windows 10 x64

Valve Index/Vive Pro

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Microhelis EC-145 Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL

Sim 2

I7 3770k

Nvidia GTX 1080

32gb RAM

Windows 10 x64

HTC Vive

WH Throttle, VKB Gunfighter, Slaw Viper Pedals, Komodosim Collective (135)

I'm glad to hear you guys aren't going anywhere, and will continue to push to deliver quality products as we've seen before. I, of course, selfishly hope they will continue to be in the DCS line, at least for the near future.

Certainly the release of the Tomcat, regardless of any bugs found, is a monumental achievement, and you all should be proud. You also deserve to be recognized for the bar you've set and exceeded. I look forward to seeing what you guys have in store for us in the future.

As long as consumer flight sim refers to DCS, I'm happy for you. If it's a new or different platform... Well that would be a huge loss to this community.

That's what I am concerned about as well - in Nick's enthusiastic replies he not once mentioned "we will continue to make modules for DCS". :music_whistling:

But otherwise, good move. :thumbup:

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | 32GB DDR4 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb | JetPad FSE | MTX Sim Rig | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate (center) | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III w/ SCG-R Premium (side)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I think there are positives and negatives here. There is a risk this will lose Heatblur to DCS which would be a shame, but on the flip side we have seen what can happens when a team lacks the resources to support their vision and we are left with products that disappoint and ultimately die (such as the Hawk).

So congratulations Heatblur, what a time for you guys pumping out a great module that I can’t wait to finish work to take off in, and hopefully securing your future. Well done!

No disrespect to Cobra, or his intentions, but with acquisitions, who knows. It really could go anyway, regardless of what type of buyout / contract was completed.

However, far as i'm concerned, the F-14 is a pure masterpiece, and even if they end up doing commercial contracts from here on out, nothing will take away from their accomplishment in the F-14.

That's what I am concerned about as well - in Nick's enthusiastic replies he not once mentioned "we will continue to make modules for DCS". :music_whistling:

"Oh, yes, I know a goodbye when I hear it." (Jimmy Nail)

I hope it's a new flight sim platform at least (and not Prepar3D or something), though the parent company doesn't seem big enough to finance that. Perhaps this is a roll call for potential investors. Hope it works out as obviously they have the dedication and passion required to build something huge..

But that would take quite some time, so hopefully the unannounced module in beginning stages of development could still be finished in parallel, but given the lack of ANY mention of DCS, perhaps they deem it as not worth the investment.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Dont't expect us to go anywhere. :)
Your team is always full of surprises. I guess that's one of the reason part of the community (me included) saw your first message as a bad omen. As I said to you earlier, you're like a rock band to us. That drives us crazy and paranoid sometimes.

Well, thanks for the clarification, and congratulations for both the Tomcat's successful launch and your new situation! :thumbup:

A track or it didn't happen.

Consumer flght simulation is one of the most exciting frontiers of all time for me. We thrive in feedback from the community, and the drive to be better and really to be the best comes for the community and the pressure they exude.

Dont't expect us to go anywhere. :)

I'm not, Cobra, I know you have a contractual obligation to DCS and that would have been assessed and absorbed into your leaving details. To see this kind of message at this time, is pure spin, and you are the master of it, but I know weasel words when I see them. Sorry pal, but I'm sorrier for DCS and it's consumer base.

Show me an asset management company with 122 billion under management that invests in poor dividend returning projects like DCS 3rd party modules or employs staff that work on projects outside their financial interest.

If you are hoping that you can work on DCS in your spare time, be aware that Meta will own the intellectual rights of anything you touch, unless you signed up to the most unusual contract I've ever seen (certainly my company owns anything I write/patent/develop). It won't be worth your time to do 3rd party modules in your spare, non-enterprise time. I'm trying to work out a conversation with my boss that goes well when I say I'm working on a private project in work time, and I'm thinking i'm going to make money on it, too. :)

At best, you've given your new employer all your spare time, at worst, it's a simple goodbye to DCS.

This was like a series of great dates, and getting dumped the first time you actually spend the night. I'll thank you for the memories, the Viggen and the F-14 (and bits of the 21), I wish you well, I don't blame you.

PS, sew the seed when you get there, TFC wouldn't mind a new investor. If Oaktree are into charities ;)

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Come off it Cobra, you're not "partnering" with anyone, you've sold the business and will likely as part of that negotiated a contract which simply leaves you as MD/CEO of HB for x years, ensuring that things remain roughly the same for that period.

After that, things will change.

They always do.

Enough of us have been around the merry-go-round to know that's the truth.

I'm happy for you, the other shareholders, and employees on a personal level, and we'll certainly be enjoying this windfall as a community for a few years, but after that? Yeah.

Edited by Buzzles

Oh, yes, I know a goodbye when I hear it.

I hope it's a new flight sim platform at least (and not Prepar3D or something), though the parent company doesn't seem big enough to finance that. Perhaps this is a roll call for potential investors. Hope it works out as obviously they have the dedication and passion required to build something huge..

But that would take quite some time, so hopefully the unannounced module in beginning stages of development could still be finished in parallel, but given the lack of ANY mention of DCS, perhaps they deem it as not worth the investment.

Looking at the webpage https://www.metasimulations.aero/ ... Why would they put DCS product on front page if they would not want to continue with it's development.

Until we will get a clear answer what the acquisition means for real we can only guess and my guess is that they want to produce modules on both sides like ED. Primarily for professional simulators and then convert what will be possible to the consumer part. If it will be DCS... well we can hope.

Do, or do not, there is no try.

--------------------------------------------------------

Sapphire Nitro+ Rx Vega 64, i7 4790K ... etc. etc.

Looking at the webpage https://www.metasimulations.aero/ ... Why would they put DCS product on front page if they would not want to continue with it's development.

Until we will get a clear answer what the acquisition means for real we can only guess and my guess is that they want to produce modules on both sides like ED. Primarily for professional simulators and then convert what will be possible to the consumer part. If it will be DCS... well we can hope.

That is very much like how we ended up with some of the best modules in the ED side of things. A-10C, L-39, Yak-52. Bigger customers than us finance something, and we get a cool module out of it.

Let's hope.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

Because it's their best past project reference?

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Great news Heatblur and Meta Simulations. Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours and really looking forward to experience any of your future products.

Thanks again for the CAT!

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA

Congrats Cobra847,

I am all about jumping on good opportunities. Your career comes first. I did few big step myself that made dramatic changes in my life. I know that this move is good for you guys, but like many here, I am a bit nervous that Heatblur focus will no longer be DCS. But hey, life move on :)

I guess that your are in merge/planning phase right now. Can you share details about what will happen with the A-6E Intruder project or it is too early to say?

Good luck with the new move, I know you guys will rule :)

Edited by Frag

To me, this news would be concerning if HB were, while obviously continuing to support the projects they have already dedicated themselves to, were about to branch off into creating their own simulation software, as some have suggested. That's not as exciting a prospect for me as it is for others. I imagine it'd be a bit complicated, having to continue support for the products within DCS they've already created while working to create competition on an entire simulation engine to compete with DCS down the road. If they were expanding away from DCS, we could expect it to be quite a few years before we see anything from them we get to play with. That, alone, would be sad to see.

Needless to say, most of the DCS community loves, or at least respects, HB and the bar-setting they've done for this sim. If they were to go their own way, it would be a huge loss for DCS as a whole.

On the other hand, if this ends up as Cobra says, an injection of fresh new capability to continue on the path they're on, it would sure be nice to see HB level modules coming out at a faster pace, or with multiple projects in development at a given time, within DCS.

It's just too early to speculate (not that that's ever stopped this community before), and I'll just wait to see where this goes. Too early to say the sky is falling.