Spudknocker - DCS: F-14B Tomcat | In Depth HOTAS Setup Guide!

Eldur

I see most (if not all) cockpit switches don't have any default keyboard controls assigned yet.

Assigning all those will take some time..

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I see most (if not all) cockpit switches don't have any default keyboard controls assigned yet.

Assigning all those will take some time..

Why would you assign them, just click them?

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I don't have a handy place for the mouse with the HOTAS in front of me (plus, it's rather fiddly to use during the flight, IMHO), so I normally make custom profiles to put most of the controls I need during the flight on the HOTAS and Cougar MFD's.

I'll start with the pilot ones, but later on I'd add some layers to support the RIO controls as well, so I can switch between the seats and do the fun stuff myself sometimes (like in the good old F-14 FD days).

Speaking of, is it possible to assign the joystick axes to both the flight control axes and the RIO stick axes at the same time (thus, hopefully, using the flight stick for both, depending on the player seat position)?

Is it even possible in DCS to assign the same device axis to two different controls (can't check now)? I kind of expect it's not, but perhaps there are some TARGET tricks that could be used for this.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I don't have a handy place for the mouse with the HOTAS in front of me (plus, it's rather fiddly to use during the flight, IMHO), so I normally make custom profiles to put most of the controls I need during the flight on the HOTAS and Cougar MFD's.

I'll start with the pilot ones, but later on I'd add some layers to support the RIO controls as well, so I can switch between the seats and do the fun stuff myself sometimes (like in the good old F-14 FD days).

Speaking of, is it possible to assign the joystick axes to both the flight control axes and the RIO stick axes at the same time (thus, hopefully, using the flight stick for both, depending on the player seat position)?

Is it even possible in DCS to assign the same device axis to two different controls (can't check now)? I kind of expect it's not, but perhaps there are some TARGET tricks that could be used for this.

It looks from the video, the RIO and Pilot will have seperate entries the same way you could map stuff for example A10C Sim or A10C game. I hope so anyway :)

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It looks from the video, the RIO and Pilot will have seperate entries the same way you could map stuff for example A10C Sim or A10C game. I hope so anyway :)

Yes this was confirmed by Heatblur. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Yes this was confirmed by Heatblur. :thumbup:

Ah, awesome. So, each seat has its own controls and they're switched even in SP, I presume?

It is possible to map an axis multiple time with modifiers (Ctrl, Shift, Alt etc, or custom ones). Before having toe brakes and the WH, I used Button 7 as a modifier and that + the throttle slider was my wheel brake lever in the Ka-50 and A-10. With a virtual controller (probably possible with TARGET, but dunno TBH, however it is with UJR you can even to one axis do multiple things at the same time by mapping it to one or more virtual axes that you'd bind in DCS as well.

Is there a DLC toggle switch in the cockpit?

It's on the left side of the stick, right below the DLC wheel.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Oh yes sorry, the dlc engage-disengage and chaff dispense switch.

I was focusing on the Fake news dlc wheel with more functions than moving back ans forth :blush: .

Happy to see my guess for my stick regarding dlc wheel should work :).

Looking forward tomorrow validation :blush: .

✈️Airman, ⚙️maker & digital explorer

My F-14 stick project

Retrieve me on Instagram or Twitter

It is possible to map an axis multiple time with modifiers (Ctrl, Shift, Alt etc, or custom ones). Before having toe brakes and the WH, I used Button 7 as a modifier and that + the throttle slider was my wheel brake lever in the Ka-50 and A-10. With a virtual controller (probably possible with TARGET, but dunno TBH, however it is with UJR you can even to one axis do multiple things at the same time by mapping it to one or more virtual axes that you'd bind in DCS as well.

I'm not sure if the first option would work as IIRC I have to remove all the DCS default assignments to the TM Virtual Device for the programed keys to work. Adding Virtual axis should be supported by Target, I guess, I'd just have to check the advanced manual.

But, if they have separate control sets for each seat and it works in SP, that will do.

• 2 months later...

why we bind the keys

Hey Jabbers, well with the x56 in the profile editor you can do oh so much more, by assigning them you can do some incredible stuff, like on my stick on ground i set my mode to S1, and in that mode on the ground i have my start up sequence set to the twist but only activates at the top 98% twist left. on the bottom 2% it initiates auto shut down. my rotary 1 and 2 on the throttle i have them set up as dial switches that have multiple different settings. on just 1 rotary the software is powerful and very helpful. you just need to take the time to set it up. i already made a 3 mode setup for the a10c that i published here. this is why we bind this hotas instead of click binding