Stuttering Issue

Original thread got lost due to a DB-crash I fear. So I recommence with conclusion done from the old thread:

It's not a networking issue. The effect is the same as described in this thread: A periodical short (0.25s - 1s) freeze every fifth second in MP-Games. It's not a lag but rather everything freezes for half a second. Meanwhile, pressing ESC still brings up the appropriate menu even tho everything else is stuck: The simulated joystick, the view, particles rising from smoke-stacks etc.

Specs:

AMD 4000+ 64b Single Core

Windows XP x64

HELP!

=Prophet=

I am using a singlecore processor. Even tho, I tried to use ProcAff.exe to force the main module (lockon.exe) to one single (my only) core. Unfortunally it didn't work - the programm failed to start Lock On (not surprising: this Program is supposedly intended to be run on multicore machines).

thereminqblank

I got a ATI RX800 SE (256Mb PCIe), 2 GB of memory (Corsair) and onBoard AC'97 Sound. But let me say that I don't think that this has to do with these specs as it only happens in MP.

Still, AMD - who I contacted - said that I should check my IRQ for Conflicts. I only found two (minor in my eyes):

(ISA) 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System

(ISA) 9 SCSI/RAID Host Controller

(PCI) 21 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator

(PCI) 21 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

I could be wrong, but ASFIK, two devices using the same IRQ in Windows XP is not a problem in most cases, but I think it depends on the devices. It was only a major problem in previous versions of Windows.

You're right, it would seem a bit strange that the freeze only happens in Multiplayer, but I had onboard sound and it caused major stutters in Half-Life 2, Day of Defeat: Source, etc. I got an Audigy 4 and the stutter disappeared.

These pause might be related to BIOS PCI latency settings but I also higly recommend you try a PCI sound card instead of onboard chipset preferrably Creative X-Fi... increase PCI latency to 128 or more, go in steps and see if you can tell any difference.

Since these pauses are at certain intervals (repetative) I think there's something holding the CPU, might be either some service or application or HDD being accessed. I suggest increasing PCI latency (they are usually set to 64 CPU cycles) because sometimes the PCI buss does not have anough bandwidth (time) with the CPU to pcocess data, meaning not all data can get through. Increasing the PCI latency allows PCI devices like sound cards to have more time for data transfess/processing resulting in no bottleneck.

• Like 1

No longer active in DCS...

I cannot find the PCI-Lat. settings anywhere. In the BIOS I can only set whether an IRQ is reserved for an actual PCI or not. Where can I change it (got an award-bios)

I don't have any PCI-Cards anyway. Got everthing onBoard. I'll disable the AC'97 once to make sure it's not that causing the problems.

I just disabled and unplugged my WLAN-USB-Stick, disabled my onBoard AC'97 and so on. I got hardly any services running at all. Nothing changed.

So I can be sure there are neither conflicts with any of those devices nor they causing problems in any other kind of way.

The PCI-Latency thing is still an idea. If I just knew where to set it. Although I don't know what it's supposed to change as I dont have any PCI-Cards.

Please remember that the problem only comes up in MP. In Singleplayer it runs smoothly.

bR

got it. GOT IT! GOT IT! GOT IIIIIIIIIIT!!!!

:cry: I'm crying for luck -finnally - after years:smilewink: I can't tell whats the cause yet - but I already eliminated it. It's either my joystick or my WLAN-Drivers.

You get a sitrep in half an hour! Thanks for all your help guys!

Ohm na - oh man - awwwwwwww maan. Can you BELIEVE how HAPPY I am getting this fixed?! And it DIDNT stop functioning after the first try (U know I'm used to have such fears as I have experienced that most times fixed things will break up in the next minute).

YEEEEEEEEHAW!

I'm using a german "Fritz-Box" (avm.de/en) and a Logitech Force3DPro.

Currently checking which of those things caused trouble. I immploringly hope it's not my joystick :]

Oh. This is not good. It's actually the joystick causing problems. As soon as it's plugged into the USB its starting. Don't even have to run up the Joysticks-Controlcenter.

Strangely it doesnt stop when I unplug it until I restart the game.

I hope you can conclude something from all those points.

New Thread created. Please post your suggestions there :>

do you have settings for USB cotroler in BIOS (weather to use USB1.0 or USB2.0 speed) try changing that... if in case you have USB2.0 speed (if you have such settings in BIOS) it could be your USB drivers are not good (USB2.0 driver can be updated on Windows Update at Microsoft).

You may try also just swapping around USB devices... basically just change ports and shuffle them around. On my botherboard I have 6 USB1.0 and 2x USB2.0 ports. You'll have to find out through Windows Device Manager which port is which... then once you find which ports are USB2.0 chose those for things like Joystick and TrackIR (if you have one).

Now about that PCI latency setting, that is in BIOS (if your BIOS has it).The PCI buss is used for on board devices as well... not just plug in PCI cards. Windows Device Manager can show you all the devices that are on PCI buss (view devices by connection)

No longer active in DCS...

• 5 years later...

Hey,

got almost the same problem here. I've got stutters every 5s in SP and MP, as long as I run the Mission I am currentrly making. If this is of any matter, it has playable Aircraft from FC3, A10 and BS.

Weard thing is, I can play SP or MP missions like Bactria and Pilot Search w/o any issues...