Jabbers - DCS World - F-14 Tomcat - Front Seat - ACM - Radar Acquisition Modes

Jabbers_

Great Video Jabbers, I love it. Though bit worrying that it’s less than a week out and still no videos involving RIO operations. Hopefully for those of us whom intend to jump right into the back seat we’ll have some meaty vids to help us along!

Edited by Gunslinger22

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Thanks very much Jabbers.

As always another well put together and informative video.

Flying this bird is going to be amazing!

| FC3 | KA-50 | A-10C | MIG-21Bis | F-86F | UH-1H | HAWK T.1A | F/A-18C | AV-8B N\A | F-14B | F-16C | AJS-37 | CA | NEVADA | PERSIAN GULF | SUPER CARRIER | SYRIA

Great Video Jabbers, I love it. Though bit worrying that it’s less than a week out and still no videos involving RIO operations. Hopefully for those of us whom intend to jump right into the back seat we’ll have some meaty vids to help us along!

Nice! Can you show off using the TGP via Jester next?

Here's the plan for the next 7 days... (the missing video isnt done, but its going to be an AWG-9 tutorial)

unknown.png?width=964&height=517

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Great video, looking forward to the next ones twilightsmile.png

But I'm still a bit mindbucked by that switch to select the ACM modes with. It goes up, down and forward... how in the hay does that work in the real thing? Can't imagine derpyconfused.png

mqpnanyz.png

Is forward like depressing a hat switch in this case? Or is it going to the "right"?

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Great videos as always, Jabbers.

I've been looking around a bit for a list of the default Warthog bindings you mentioned. Any chance you can list those out? For example the radar target designate/ACM modes hat- is that the thumb hat on the Hog throttle?

Thanks for the video, but I have some questions if you don't mind.

First, I presume the VSL High mode is from +15 to +55 like shown on the diagram during VSL Low demonstration? In the video, it's said +25 which is the upper limit for VSL Low if I understood the diagram correctly.

I also thought the use of the ACM switch/cover (the red cover at the top left corner of the front panel) would be mentioned. I can see that at some points in the video it's down and up at the others. I kind of expected that its purpose is to override the RIO set modes and enable the use of the close combat modes by the pilot, but the PAL mode lock on is engaged with it down in the video so I guess that's not the case. Since there are no weapon employment procedures in the manual yet IIRC, what is the ACM cover used for then, exactly?

Is forward like depressing a hat switch in this case? Or is it going to the "right"?

Yeah, same here. I asked about this before and IIRC forward means it's depressed or pushed-in I guess (given that the arrows show up and down I guess, although at that angle the switch is set to, they could be mistaken for left and right which is what confused me initially). But, I might be wrong.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Great video, good questions Dudikoff!

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Great question! I wonder about that too. :thumbup:

The manual says the following, which doesn't really explain how pushing the switch forward looks like:

Target Designate Switch

Used to designate ground targets on the HUD and to control pilot ACM radar modes except PLM. Can be moved up/down and forward which is the designate position.

In air-to-ground mode up and down moves the designator and forward designates. In all other cases up and down selects VSL HI and VSL LO ACM-modes respectively and forward selects PAL.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Great video, looking forward to the next ones twilightsmile.png

But I'm still a bit mindbucked by that switch to select the ACM modes with. It goes up, down and forward... how in the hay does that work in the real thing? Can't imagine derpyconfused.png

mqpnanyz.png

Every time I go through the manual, I keep coming back to this picture and thinking "Oh boy, someone at Grumman forgot to put this on the panel/controls and they had to jam it in where they could find a spot."

Great video, looking forward to the next ones

But I'm still a bit mindbucked by that switch to select the ACM modes with. It goes up, down and forward... how in the hay does that work in the real thing? Can't imagine

mqpnanyz.png

I believe its Up for the up arrow, Down for the down arrow and press it in for FWD.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the video, but I have some questions if you don't mind.

First, I presume the VSL High mode is from +15 to +55 like shown on the diagram during VSL Low demonstration? In the video, it's said +25 which is the upper limit for VSL Low if I understood the diagram correctly.

I also thought the use of the ACM switch/cover (the red cover at the top left corner of the front panel) would be mentioned. I can see that at some points in the video it's down and up at the others. I kind of expected that its purpose is to override the RIO set modes and enable the use of the close combat modes by the pilot, but the PAL mode lock on is engaged with it down in the video so I guess that's not the case. Since there are no weapon employment procedures in the manual yet IIRC, what is the ACM cover used for then, exactly?

So, someone knows the answer?

:pilotfly: :joystick:

• 1 month later...
I still don't understand when the ACM cover has to be up. Could someone briefly explain/summarize? Thanks in advance!

The ACM cover doesn't "need" to be up. You should look at it like a shortcut to setting up the aircraft for WVR fights by configuring the weapons control system for that.

You can also do that manually, so if you're already in a good mode for engaging your current target you don't need to flip it at all.

Great videos as always, Jabbers.

I've been looking around a bit for a list of the default Warthog bindings you mentioned. Any chance you can list those out? For example the radar target designate/ACM modes hat- is that the thumb hat on the Hog throttle?

Thanks! So I looked through the manual what the ACM switch does. Most of it makes sense, but what does that mean:

"Toggle switch with light indication of selected option.

Selects NORM (normal) or BRSIT (boresight) operation

for missile launch. Controlled by WCS when in

ACM mode."

How is it controlled? Which of the two modes is advantages in what situation?

Is there any disadvantage of having the ACM switch cover up all the time?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core I7 4820K @4.3 GHz, Asus P9X79 motherboard, 16 GB RAM @ 933 MHz, NVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB VRAM, Windows 10 Pro

Thanks! So I looked through the manual what the ACM switch does. Most of it makes sense, but what does that mean:

"Toggle switch with light indication of selected option.

Selects NORM (normal) or BRSIT (boresight) operation

for missile launch. Controlled by WCS when in

ACM mode."

How is it controlled? Which of the two modes is advantages in what situation?

Is there any disadvantage of having the ACM switch cover up all the time?

It means that the WCS has control and will set that switch to NORM when you have the ACM cover open.

The ACM cover shouldn't be open when you're engaging long range targets as the phoenix will be set to launch active, making it impossible to use at long range with the pulse doppler modes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question? I can't seem to get the VSL modes to work once I switch to gun mode PLM works fine but neither of the VSM modes. I also have the ACM switch up which it seemed that jabbers did not.

I am not sure if this matters but since these are ACM modes and it would seem silly if they didn't work with that switch up.

What am I missing? Do I have to give Jester some specific command?

NVR mind ; there are 2 different VSL radar commands and I was using the wrong one!

Edited by wholehawg