Texture mod for Caucasus 2.5 terrain

@Starway: are you planning any future updates for this superb mod?

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I am going to have to check this one out!

Madmatt

A-10C, AV-8B, F-16C, F/A-18C, KA-50, Mi-8, UH-1H, FC3, CA, WWII, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf

Gaming Rig: I7 7700k @5GHz, Corsair H115i Water Cooling, 32GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600MHz DDR4 SDRAM, Aorus GeForce GTX 1080Ti, 2 x Samsung 960 Pro M.2 1TB NVMe SSD's, Warthog HOTAS w/ Slew mod, MFG Crosswind Pedals, 2 x TM Cougar MFD's, Oculus Rift-S, TrackIR 5, Asus ROG PG3480 34" GSync Monitor @3440x1440-100Hz, Asus 27" Monitor @1920x1080-144Hz, Windows 10 x64

@Starway: are you planning any future updates for this superb mod?

Indeed! A new version has been uploaded. Changelog for this version is:

- Overall color corrections

- New field textures

- Small adjustments to the noise textures

Enjoy!

System: Intel Core i5 3570K | GTX 980 OC | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | 500 GB SSD

Hey Starway, thanks for the mod.

I'm having a small issue which is only present with your mod installed, I'm currently using version 2.5.6

The grass/earth mound covering the roof of the 'Bunker 1' static unit/fortification is now grey and looks like concrete instead of grass.

The same grey textures are also found on the roof of the 'Command Center' structure but also the satellite dishes on the mast are now grass green.

I've reinstalled the mod just to make sure, and disabled all other mods I am using and the issue is still there. If I disable your mod the problem goes, enabling the mod again reintroduces the problem.

I also have that, and a different issue as well. I enabled your mod through OvGME and it successfully worked, until I restarted DCS. Then the Starway mod went away and it showed default Caucasus textures. I have tried re-enabling it and nothing works. The only difference is that the airfields are greener. My terrain textures are set to high. Help please? :/

Edited by Kujo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Never quit. Never give up. Fly it to the end."

- Chuck Aaron

Hey Starway, thanks for the mod.

I'm having a small issue which is only present with your mod installed, I'm currently using version 2.5.6

The grass/earth mound covering the roof of the 'Bunker 1' static unit/fortification is now grey and looks like concrete instead of grass.

The same grey textures are also found on the roof of the 'Command Center' structure but also the satellite dishes on the mast are now grass green.

I've reinstalled the mod just to make sure, and disabled all other mods I am using and the issue is still there. If I disable your mod the problem goes, enabling the mod again reintroduces the problem.

Hi,

I could identify the problem with the missing grass on the bunker. This is fixed now. I also could locate the green texture of the antenna- Although this texture is not affected by this mod. Must be either another mod or vanilla textures. See screenshot:

KBdBoEs.png

I also have that, and a different issue as well. I enabled your mod through OvGME and it successfully worked, until I restarted DCS. Then the Starway mod went away and it showed default Caucasus textures. I have tried re-enabling it and nothing works. The only difference is that the airfields are greener. My terrain textures are set to high. Help please? :/

Unfortunately I could find any problems regarding installing and re-installing the mod on my end. I use JSGME only though.

I could identify the problem with the missing grass on the bunker. This is fixed now. I also could locate the green texture of the antenna- Although this texture is not affected by this mod. Must be either another mod or vanilla textures. See screenshot:

Thanks!

Wow, I love your textures. But for some reason I can not pass a integrity check in multiplayer. Textures: |grass n-4, Kochkal 1, and Grass 4-3.

Using 2.5.4.30386

I'm I doing something wrong?

I am not sure why exactly these textures are causing problems but I created a hotfix which replaces these textures with the vanilla textures. Link to the file is:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FqGtbkDbLIIftTVX0oSWrXtAglcBvX1N/view?usp=sharing

Please unzip and paste the content to the main folder of the mod. Overwrite old files.

I cant count how many times I have downloaded this mod, and every stinkin' time I go to open the RAR file, I get "archive ended unexpectedly". Ive downloaded through Chrome, Microsoft Edge, and even a program called "Internet download Manager" All with the same error. WTH! What am "I" doing wrong???

I cant count how many times I have downloaded this mod, and every stinkin' time I go to open the RAR file, I get "archive ended unexpectedly".

Can you try another program to open the archive? 7Zip is always a good choice, and is free. Or maybe get a copy of WinRar, in case 7Zip is the one that's failing right now (WinRar is not free, but will run for 30 days without problems).

Also make sure your AntiVirus software doesn't temper with the download by blocking access. Check the AV's quarantine to see if the file shows up there.

Maybe your modem or Internet router causes problems with the download; can you download at a friend's place or at work (with the boss's permission, of course) and take the file on a USB drive?

If all else fails, it might be an idea to compare checksums (MD5, SHA1, SHA256 or whatever algorithm); I've already unzipped my copy of the mod, but maybe someone else can post their checksums (digestIT 2004 works well under Windows, but only support MD5 and SHA1 checksums) and then you could compare if your file has the same checksum; if it doesn't, the file itself would be somehow different; if the checksums match, the file is okay and the problem would lie elsewhere.

What would you recommend I open this with? I normally use 7zip for archive stuff, but after downloading and running test on the archive it reports uncompressed size 25MB, compressed size 1.6GB and there are only a dozen files in it.

So I downloaded WinRar to unzip it, which works and unzips to a 1.7GB directory, but winRar is payware so it really sucks to be expected to buy payware utilities just to unzip a file.

Also JSGME (which is what the OP says to use to install the mod) doesn't work in latest DCS, creating initial program snapshot fails with a steam read error, the JSGME thread is full of similar reports https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

I appreciate the hard work but I do wish people would keep their documentation up to date. Already spent an hour trying to install this, have to leave it to another time now.

Dude, it's free and it was undoubtedly a lot of work to begin with.

It's also possible that Starway does OTHER things with the rest of their life.

But that being said, you should be able to download "7zip" for free which will unzip .rar files and just about any other archive file. Including .miz files.

So I downloaded WinRar to unzip it, which works and unzips to a 1.7GB directory, but winRar is payware so it really sucks to be expected to buy payware utilities just to unzip a file.

Dude, chill.

You're not expected to purchase a Rar tool. 7Zip works perfectly fine. I downloaded 2.5.6 right after Starway released it about two weeks ago and used 7Zip to extract it, and had 0 problems. No idea why it's causing problems now, but you are certainly not required to purchase anything just to use this free mod.

Also JSGME (which is what the OP says to use to install the mod) doesn't work in latest DCS, creating initial program snapshot fails with a steam read error, the JSGME thread is full of similar reports https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98607

Is it necessary to create a snapshot with JSGME? I kinda seem to remember it was recommended, but I never did when I still used it.

Later on, OvGME became the de facto standard for DCS mod managers. It's much more flexible and IMO vastly superior. The downside is, it was taken down and is no longer supported by the original author. But you can still find the installer, for example here:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3591327&postcount=10

OvGME does work with Starway's texture mod, I'm certain (because I use it) ;)

If you have any installation questions regarding the mod (with or without mod manager), ask away.

Hi guys,

The update to the version 2.5.5 brought some changes to the textures which caused some issues on the actual version of this mod. Therefor I created another version which is compatible with the latest beta-version of DCS.

Changelog for version 2.5.8:

- New field textures for all seasons

- New textures for trees for all seasons

- Changes to the noise textures

…and some minor changes to the .lua file

The file is ready for download:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TnJFlHnqLL38ipSFOIJi_Hd-Xua5pdEv/view?usp=sharing

Cheers!

Edited by Starway

amazing work as always Starway!

Thank you so much!

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Many Thanks for your effort

My Hardware: ROG Strix X570-F Gaming - AMD 5600X @ 4.7 ghz - G.SKILL TRIDENT 32GB DDR4 3200 (14-14-14-34 CL) - GigaByte 3080ti OC 12gb - Corsair MP600 Force 1TB - 2 x EVO Nvme 500GB - Virpil Warbird Base T-50CM2 and TM Throttle + Trackhat + G25 + AOC AG271QG 27"

My Modules: JF-17, F-16C, AV-8N/A, F-18C, ASJ37, MiG-15Bis, MiG-21Bis, Fw-190D, Bf-109K, P-51D, F-86F, Ka-50 III, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, NS430, FC3, A-10C, Mirage 2000C, L-39, F-5E-3, SA342, Spitfire, AH-64, Mirage F-1CE.

My Maps: Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria, South Atlantic.