DCS: F-14 Air to Air Refueling Tutorial

104th_Maverick

To enter the TACAN you have to go a different tab in that menu. Click on the Triggered Actions tab that's 2 to the right of the Route tab - the one that looks like a bit like an X. Click Add -> Perform Command -> Activate TACAN and enter in the TACAN details there - I think you'll be able to find them then in game. If you look at the mission I sent you earlier you can see the setup I did there.

To enter the TACAN you have to go a different tab in that menu. Click on the Triggered Actions tab that's 2 to the right of the Route tab - the one that looks like a bit like an X. Click Add -> Perform Command -> Activate TACAN and enter in the TACAN details there - I think you'll be able to find them then in game. If you look at the mission I sent you earlier you can see the setup I did there.

Thank you for your time ;)

So i went to see the mission in the editor .Has you say, i add the TACAN "action to this little "X icon"

ejYREI.png

But once on board nothing change

On the TACAN panel the light turn green but after few seconds turn OFF

66U3Ov.png

vQjBys.png

I´ve tried also the both configurations : "On pilot" & "NOTHING" (RIEN) but nothing change

fkdoB5.png

Edited by PhilTheBeat

I7 4770K / 1080 TI / 16GB RAM / VR Q2 / 3X IIYAMA 27 / T.16000M FCS TWCS / TRACK IR PRO

A-10C II / F/A18 C / F-14 / F16-C / M-2000C / F-86F Sabre / C-101 / SPITFIRE LF / P-51D / FW 190 D-9 / FW 190 A-B / Bf 109 K-4

CHRISTEN EAGLE II / YAK-52 / UH-1H Huey / SA 342

CHANNEL MAP / NEVADA / NORMANDY /  PERSIAN / SYRIA / SUPERCARRIER /

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

Well, after getting really proud of my results in the 2 instant action refueling missions... got back to reality while flying a DCE CAP mission...

Tankers are flying in circles, not straight away as in the 2 instant action missions I have used to practice.

Writing this as an advice to any other noobs like myself...

Back to learning...

Well, after getting really proud of my results in the 2 instant action refueling missions... got back to reality while flying a DCE CAP mission...

Tankers are flying in circles, not straight away as in the 2 instant action missions I have used to practice.

Writing this as an advice to any other noobs like myself...

Back to learning...

Use this one as an example ;)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c98mma9qij64xxl/M2000C%20F14%20REFUEL.miz?dl=0

I7 4770K / 1080 TI / 16GB RAM / VR Q2 / 3X IIYAMA 27 / T.16000M FCS TWCS / TRACK IR PRO

A-10C II / F/A18 C / F-14 / F16-C / M-2000C / F-86F Sabre / C-101 / SPITFIRE LF / P-51D / FW 190 D-9 / FW 190 A-B / Bf 109 K-4

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

Hi,

problem solved. The issue was that i set the TWO TANKERS with the same TACAN channel (x064)

So now one is on 64 and the other on 65 and everything work perfectly ;)

rgxlmo.png

vTXrs3.png

cv5npk.png

Basics things need to be known first..... :D:D

I go back to learn .....

Edited by PhilTheBeat

TAKE OFF FRANCE.FR

Yes we did it multiple times. Problems we had were that only the host of the mission (we are two) can communicate with the tanker and gets responses. Me as the pilot (not hosting) can ask for permission but do not get any responsse from the tanker. when my human RIO asks he gets clearance. If I am flying the mission alone with Jester it works perfectly

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

Yes we did it multiple times. Problems we had were that only the host of the mission (we are two) can communicate with the tanker and gets responses. Me as the pilot (not hosting) can ask for permission but do not get any responsse from the tanker. when my human RIO asks he gets clearance. If I am flying the mission alone with Jester it works perfectly

Yes, we've seen this behaviour as well, as he hosts the mission typically. Tanker comm options appear for me as pilot, but they just ignore me and reply to him. And that works up until the point when the hose is out but I can't see it. Trust me, I look very very hard :P

I believe we will be attempting with me hosting the mission tonight, so we'll see what happens. We'll also try doing this on a dedicated server and see if that changes anything as well.

I'm not looking to teach anyone how to suck eggs here but a lot of people have simply been pressing the wrong radio button.

Remember.

If you are tuned to the tanker on the UHF radio its - Ralt+ radio button to contact him.

If you are tuned to the tanker on the VHF/UHF radio its - Rctrl+ radio button to contact him.

Simply pressing the Radio Button in flight will not work.

I have tried and tried to recreate the issue of the tanker not replying or giving you the hose and have failed every time.

I have never rocked up behind the tanker once and not had him reply to me or give me the hose, in SP or MP.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3871383']

I have tried and tried to recreate the issue of the tanker not replying or giving you the hose and have failed every time.

I have never rocked up behind the tanker once and not had him reply to me or give me the hose, in SP or MP.

Did you host the game the game yourself trying this with a human RIO or did you try to recreate this on a random MP server with another human RIO with none of you hosting?

We only had the issues when my friend (RIO) hosted the sim. In single player or with the AI RIO on a MP server it works flawlessly.

Will try this together on a MP server wchich no one of us hosts and look into the problem again.

In thrust we trust :thumbup:

Falls jemand Montags Abends Lust hat mit uns zusammen zu fliegen und Spass zu haben (Anfänger sind auch herzlich willkommen) kann gerne auf unserer Website: https://www.jg-frankonia.de vorbeischauen oder sich direkt bei uns im Discord melden: https://discord.gg/vHEJf3c

Eigene Server und viel Spass sind vorhanden :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

Did my first night time aerialrefueling with the cat.

Is it correct that there is no probe-light?

How was it done in RL during night? Was the light in the basket enough or have nvg's been used?

I had to use nvg's which was somehow uncomfortable (sorry, I don't like and use them)

Steam user - Youtube

I am for quality over quantity in DCS modules

• 2 weeks later...
Did my first night time aerialrefueling with the cat.

Is it correct that there is no probe-light?

How was it done in RL during night? Was the light in the basket enough or have nvg's been used?

I had to use nvg's which was somehow uncomfortable (sorry, I don't like and use them)

I believe this is incorrect. I have seen videos online of the Tomcat showing a light with the probe deployed.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

Dear friend I really can't refuel. I see your video tutorial and your aircraft seems so stable! My Cat seems unable to stay stady. The biggest problem I have is with pitch; i can't keep the plane at hte desired altitude. I do use trim but the plane can't be stabilized in pitch. Can you please help me? I use Ch Fighterstick and Ch Pro Throttle and I set them with a deadzone of 2 and curve 18 and I run the refuel in bomb mode.

Even in normal flight I can't stabilize the altitude (it seems that at a stady speed you have to have a neutral attitude when correctly timmed.

I do not think that is something wrong with me it seems that is something concerning the settings.

Thanks for your help.

Gibo

• 3 weeks later...

Is it just me or is anyone else noticing since the last update that the drag they have added when the refueling probe is extended is really heavy? I had very little issue keeping the aircraft steady behind the tanker before but now it is totally uncontrollable for me. Even adding left rudder to compensate for the pull that the probe is creating helps very little. I have a hard time believing that the drag from the probe is actually that heavy in the real aircraft.....I have tried adjusting the pitch and roll on my flight Stick in the settings as well but that has not helped either....

Does anybody have problems, that the probe wouldn't connect to the basket?

I've been training refueling for some days, and when I hit the basket on the outer edge, the probe goes trough the basket. With the harrier this was sufficient for a connection. Today I was able to hit the exact middle and again the probe went trough the basket.

Also, when I initially contact the tanker, he's already extending the baskets, while in the past (about half a year ago) he has done that, after "ready pre-contact", which he's sometimes not responding to at all and today only once...

I tried with both C-130 and KC-135 MPRS.

:helpsmilie:

Does anybody have problems, that the probe wouldn't connect to the basket?

I've been training refueling for some days, and when I hit the basket on the outer edge, the probe goes trough the basket. With the harrier this was sufficient for a connection. Today I was able to hit the exact middle and again the probe went trough the basket.

Also, when I initially contact the tanker, he's already extending the baskets, while in the past (about half a year ago) he has done that, after "ready pre-contact", which he's sometimes not responding to at all and today only once...

I tried with both C-130 and KC-135 MPRS.

:helpsmilie:

I just spent a very frustrating hour trying to nail the basket of an S3 without any success. I've had quite a few occasions when I swear it should have gone in - not dead center, but in my previous attempts these counted as good enough and the system would suck it in. Not anymore!

Feels like the basket had collision detection completely switched off.

Could this be a bug in the latest version?

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2