DCS Server Control

Just ran up a server on my PC as a test. Used just over 4GB of ram. Awesome.

Going to try running it on our laptop, to see how that works out.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

@Falcon @Nikola

You "can" but it is forbidden...

Regarding the second post, they are considiring free usage of map on norender mode. Atm you need to buy it

"Les pilotes du Fail" server administrator

A dedicated server at last? FANTASTIC! Just did a quick test and it seemed to work easily without issue.

Although I haven't spent much time with it yet, the web interface looks really slick.

1. What is needed to run a dedicated server?

Dedicated server is not a standalone software, it's one of DCS start option. To run a server, a (separate) DCS base install is needed with all terrains (you wish to host) purchased and installed. We are considering possibilities for running terrains without purchase them in --norender mode.

The real usefulness of this will be if/when all terrains can be used without purchase in --norender mode.

I'm sure the existing server owners who have already paid for a 2nd copy of the terrains will welcome this with open arms. But, for little guys like myself who just host private sessions for buddies every couple of weeks, it'll take no-additional-cost server terrains for me to take advantage of a dedicated server and set one up. Hope this comes sooner than later.

Regardless, well done ED! We've been waiting a long time and it's great to see this coming to fruition.

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

Can we use same ED account for 2 differents computers? (behind the same IP address of course)

- one for the server

- one for me (the player)

To know if I can host maps I already paied with my ED account. I don't want to risk to be detected as "sharing account". :)

thx for the work guys!

My DCS contributions:
- My mods/skins: here
- My server/missions scripts: there
- My Discord bot:
this place
If you want to thank me buying a coffee☕/beer🍺, feel free:
https://www.buymeacoffee.com/Astazou

We just use a dedicated machine with a full client that has render turned off and all our admins access the machine remotely + SLmod.

Need to test and see if the CPU thread and RAM req. would be lower. Otherwise I don't see any point in this at this current time.

First genuine test.

This comparing running a mission yesterday and hosting on my PC, against my i7 laptop with 8GB of ram now hosting the same mission and my PC now logging onto it.

Yesterday, my PC was using a total of 20GB of ram, but that also include guff like Teamspeak. Today, I'm using 7GB LESS RAM to run the same mission on my PC.

The laptop seems to be very happily running the mission server, using just 3GB of RAM.

So somehow, running the server separately has resulted in a total RAM usage split across the two units as being lower.

It's also freed up CPU cycles on my PC (which was CLEARLY bottlenecked), such that my GPU is now being maxed out. Have just dropped my PD level to try to the GPU bottleneck.

In short, damn good result. Sure, it's early days and only a brief test. But certainly looking good so far.

My thanks ED.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

How do you autostart the first mission in the queue when the server is launched ?

with dcs --norender --server it only launch the server but it is not running anything unless you told you so in the webgui.

Edited by Carlton2001

How do you autostart the first mission in the queue when the server is launched ?

with dcs --norender --server it only lauch the server but it is not running anything unless you told you so in the webgui.

Second reply from this topic...

runs DCS in ‘server’ mode where the simulator is started as a server with the first mission in list ["missionList"] (see ‘Saved Games\<DCS>\Config\serverSettings.lua’)

same.. my missions are in the serverSettings.lua but it wont show them when i run the Dedicated server. nor will it start.

You will not see anything on server side when it's running like -server

This is how the Dedicated Server appear:

6OGH26zbcVsY5v5ciCrDsPLjjoXeRX.png

Now that you have your server running, on the same machine, browse the file where you have DCS installed, under the folder WebGUI and open index.html with your favorite browser, like Chrome.

Now confirm your Web Port and use the Web console to manage your server.

iTXntnV1jSoTVkwkrYSJT4Efy7mDeu.png

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

same.. my missions are in the serverSettings.lua but it wont show them when i run the Dedicated server. nor will it start.

Maybe a typo problem.

Path must have doubled backslash like "C:\\folder\\where\\mission\\is.miz"

Auto start here. Sure you don't start the server paused ?

• ED Team

In case of you can't see running server check it first of all in --server mode - it start server directly with GUI and you can see running mission.

Then try to get access by local control option - in this case you don't need to open HTTP control port.

Then try to connect via remote control (don't forget to login DCS site under the same account as server).

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

DCS World 2.5: Часто задаваемые вопросы

• ED Team
Please clarify this a bit .. in anticipation of the Dedicated Server release, I purchased the terrains ... but they were not available to purchase on my current DCS account (as I already owned them) ... so, I created a different account for use with my dedicated Server.

So, how can I control my Server if it uses a different ED account? I dont get it :(

Run server under your second ('server') account. Login in browser into this account and control this server. Run DCS on client's PC, login in DCS under your first (players) account, connect and play. I make this every day - I also have second separate account for server PC and can play and control it on the same computer (logged in DCS as 'USSR_Rik' and logged in browser as '********').
Edited by USSR_Rik

Men may keep a sort of level of good, but no man has ever been able to keep on one level of evil. That road goes down and down.  
Можно держаться на одном уровне добра, но никому и никогда не удавалось удержаться на одном уровне зла. Эта дорога ведёт вниз и вниз.

G.K. Chesterton

Why i cant connect to , maybe localhost:12345, per browser?

I have created an autoexec.cfg under C:\Users\<Name>\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta and insert "webgui_port = 12345", but i become an Error in Browser:

405 Method Not Allowed

Whats wrong?

Spent some time with the new DCS server.

• Certainly dramatically reduces server load and works well.
  • My install of SLMOD was incompatible.
  • WebGUI was good, easy and quick both local host or remotely initiated.
  • Access to a remote server site will still be required to upload missions so at least TeamViewer or similar will be required. If TV or other desktop sharing solution is used then of course the local host web gui is available.

I think overall its great! Thanks ED - NOW WHERE ARE THE PROMISED NEW HELOs - ha ha ha :):):)

SIGBLOCK.png

Run server under your second ('server') account. Login in browser into this account and control this server. Run DCS on client's PC, login in DCS under your first (players) account, connect and play. I make this every day - I also have second separate account for server PC and can play and control it on the same computer (logged in DCS as 'USSR_Rik' and logged in browser as '********').

Thank you ... I've got it now :)

Cheers

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

is there a idiots how to? because I have no idea where to put --norender --serve, looking at the first 2 posts I got the impression it went in serversettigs.lua but they are just comments in there, then I thought they ere switches on the dcs desktop icon but that won't save, I see talk of a command line so do I need to go into windows command prompt or how do I get to the command line, I'm lost.

First impressions:

The Good:

• Uses a lot less resources so far. Using the same mission (completely untouched between patches) prior to patch running the good ol' "server" it was using, at mission start, about 7-8GB RAM and 12.5% CPU (one full core for atleast 10 minutes before settling).
    After patch: just over 2GB RAM and 0.5% CPU
  • WebGui is very nice. I like the dark theme and easy to navigate plus live logs is god mode. Cudoz to whoever added that function.

The Bad:

• Security.
    I'm not very fond at all of having full file and folder browsing access over the internet where ED's account manager being the only security layer. In my eyes, I'd go so far to say it's a complete no-go. Easily fixed by closing down TCP 8088 for public access and using the local method of accessing the WebGui, of course but ppl less tech savvy might not reflect when a guide says something in the lines of "open 8088 for it to work". Some kind of additional private credential check is a must for public access for me.
  • Presentation, in-server.
    It took me a good while before realizing the server was started. I just assumed the client (okok, dedicated server ;D) had froze and I restarted it several times before realizing it was actually the way it was supposed to be. A black screen saying "server loading" or "server started" would be something to aim for perhaps.

A step in the right direction for sure, please keep it up and drive this thing all the way home! :)

Overall: Good job ED!

is there a idiots how to? because I have no idea where to put --norender --serve, looking at the first 2 posts I got the impression it went in serversettigs.lua but they are just comments in there, then I thought they ere switches on the dcs desktop icon but that won't save, I see talk of a command line so do I need to go into windows command prompt or how do I get to the command line, I'm lost.

Just right click on the dcs.exe file and send to desktop then edit that shortcut as below

..........Beta\bin\DCS.exe" --server --norender

is there a idiots how to? because I have no idea where to put --norender --server ...

You just need to make a Windows Shortcut for DCS.exe with the proper parameters, it should look like this:

GJnba9H.jpg

I'm using these parameters:

"C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS.exe" --server --norender --force_disable_VR -w DCS-Chile

The -w will be the name of the Server

You can also create a shortcut for the Control Panel, like this:

3ny7Mm4.jpg

The full command line is: "C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\WebGUI\index.html"

Best regards

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

• ED Team
Why i cant connect to , maybe localhost:12345, per browser?
Digits 12345 - just an example, you should set desired port number (if you really want to change default)

G.K. Chesterton