Thrusmaster TPR Hydraulic Damper Mod

Greekbull

OK guys did a Hydraulic damper mod this afternoon using a CNC Motorcycle Damper and some hardware I purchased. Damper was about $30. Hardware was maybe $5-7. This completely changed the TPR pedals which were already awesome and a huge step up from my MFG Crosswinds. The pedals now feel Hydraulic! Feel is amazing and added and unintended bonus is with the damper going from the base to the horizontal arm I am getting way more effects from my Simshaker/transducers in the pedals so it feels even more real!

Install is pretty easy. The U bracket I got off of Amazon and it's for a bathroom door stall panel(painted it black). You need to screw two small holes in the base to attach the bracket. Then remove the existing E Clip on the left horizontal arm and replace it with a 60mm long M5 scew. I found aluminum sleeves that would fit on the M5 and had an OD of 7.9mm...the openings on the Damper are 8mm so these were a perfect fit...here are some pics!

Hardware Needed:

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

And Installed Mod:

image2.jpg

image0.jpg

image3.jpg

image1.jpg

In the pit:

image0.jpg

Edited by Greekbull
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

That Button bos he has on the left is a Dereck Speares Designs Race King button box with custom stickers on it. I have the same box and use it for everything.

Owned Modules: F-18, F-16, F-14, AV-8B, A-10c, Huey, Hip, KA-50, Gazelle, Mig 15, Mig 19, Mig 21, FC3, P-51, BF-109, C-101, L-39, F-5, YAK-52

PC Specs- 8700k at 5.1GHz on Asrock z370 Fata1ity k6, EVGA 1080ti SSC2, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 1TB NVMe m.2 Drive for DCS with a 500gb NVMe M.2 boot drive, Oculus Rift S

Ok after some experimentation(did a little refinement of the hardware to get everything isolated with rubber and vinyl washers etc. and some good feedback from Yomo in CSG-1 who's also doing this mod we discovered it's better to mount the damper bottom right in the middle...so please see the new reference photos:

image0.jpg

image2.jpg

image1.jpg

I will tell you this mod is game changer for the pedals! They feel like they are in a jet!

Edited by Greekbull
  • Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Why did you make the change?

The travel of the Damper in the original orientation cut off about 10mm of the total travel of the pedals. It calibrated fine and still had a lot of travel and felt great but it was bothering me and we wanted to get a orientation that would allow for the full travel stop to stop of the pedals. In the new location it allows for it to go the full travel and added that 10mm of travel with about 3mm of travel left to spare on the damper so perfect...the hydraulic feel was the same

• Like 1

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Yeah unfortunately I ended up with two small extra holes drilled into the footplate(covered in electrical tape) but small price to pay for the benefit of the mod! It really does feel a lot better! BTW this is all using a standard 10" long damper. If you used the longer 13.46" dampers you could certainly use the orientation in the first set of pics.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

If you just search CNC Motorcycle Damper on Ebay you should see a ton of them. As long as they are 255mm (10") long they'll work fine. Just make sure it's adjustable;)

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Is there any noticeable slack without damping when you reverse the direction? I remember reading about installing dampers to various (mostly Russian built) pedals, and they often commented that this is the downside of cheap Chinese dampers...

• Like 1

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Awesome you won't regret it!

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

There's a couple of us in CSG-1 running this mod. We both have the exact same settings. With the adjustable damper one click of resistance and both springs in the TPR. It's unreal the feeling!

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Great mod, well done.

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

Greekbull,

Could you post a link to the U Bracket on amazon, I am having a little issues locating one that's in stock.

Sure here you go: Sentry Supply 656-8202-T T"U"... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5LAT47?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I painted mine BTW...

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

I actually got the fasteners at Ace Hardware

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your writeup.

Received my TPR last Tuesday. They are great, but I've ordered the same damper from Ebay for 30$ including shipping to Switzerland. Will take some time, since its coming from China, but I'm in no hurry.

Looking forward

Best regards

Intel I9 10900k @5.1GHz | MSI MEG Z490 Unify | Corsair Vengeance 64GB - 3600MHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
VPC T-50 Base /w Viper & Hornet Grip | VPC Rotor TCS Pro w/ Hawk-60 Grip | TM TPR
LG C2 42" | Reverb G2 | TIR 5 | PointCtrl | OpenKneeboard