Anti-skid proper behaviour?

raelias

You can't see it in the controls indicator. Looks like RPM is the best indicator, having referred to NATOPS, however there is overlap:

Thank you, just like I said.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

What I like about pilots is how they think that because they operate some vehicle, they automatically know everything about it; more than actual engineers designed that vehicle. The famous saying goes: “The more you know, the more you know you don't know.”. Pilots changed it to:

"The more I know, I know everything.”

They are better meteorologists than actual meteorologists; better lawyers than actual lawyers; they will teach Boeing engineer that designed some system about that system... and in fact, it's their knowledge that's quite superficial.

Nice, is it your intent to insult all pilots? Are you enjoying stirring the pot ad infinitum? Does your extensive knowledge as a flight simulator enthusiast or some other (hopefully real life) qualification enable you to pass judgement on professional pilots?

Perhaps, being a little more level-headed, you would consider what someone is actually saying and realize that experiential knowledge might sound or look different than what you read in a book, and should be learned from.

Well if I'm an @ss for pointing out that skills required to operate an aircraft doesn't involve academic knowledge, very well. I can live with that.

Really no offense to anyone.

No, you don't get to insult a large group of people (whose profession you mock as you enjoy the play version of it on your computer,) and then say "no offense to anyone." Say it and mean it, or think better of it next time.

What I like about simmers is how they "think", "guess", "suspect", and are "sure" of things they've never experienced, and their willingness to tell actual pilots how they must be wrong because the answer doesnt fit their limited academic understanding of a topic.

I could show you dozens of cases across dozens of aircraft types which prove that your average anti-skid braking system has PLENTY of power to lock the mains even on a dry, grooved, porous friction overlayed runway. From fighters to 747s. But unless someone is an F-18 pilot (and sometimes even if he is), the answer isn't good enough. Amazing.

This is not a debate. No human being can max-perform the braking system as well as the anti-skid does, hence with an operative anti-skid system all the pilot has to do is literally stand on the brakes until reaching taxi speed and he will have achieved the shortest landing distance possible...regardless of runway condition. With anti-skid inoperative, that technique will result in locked wheels, loss of directional control, blown tires, outrageous stopping distance, and probably a runway excursion.

The takeaway is obvious: while anti-skid doesn't change physics, a human pilot lacks tactile feedback regarding wheel speed and MUST use more conservative braking to prevent locking wheels, resulting in longer stopping distance compared to using anti-skid to threshold brake.

This is just fundamental knowledge possessed by anyone who operates airplanes with these types of systems. One look at the performance charts for any jet will depict separate "actual landing distance" penalties for wet/contaminated runways and for anti-skid inoperative.

Normally I don't do full quotes - but here it's worth it.

So, basically you are just making a statement. I'm subscribing this.

But the main thing 'we' are are curious to know:

Is Anti-Skid currently correct modelled in the F-18?

Normally I don't do full quotes - but here it's worth it.

So, basically you are just making a statement. I'm subscribing this.

But the main thing 'we' are are curious to know:

Is Anti-Skid currently correct modelled in the F-18?

I'm not able to fly DCS for the time being, so I can't say for sure. But based on the comments in this thread and the graph showing no difference between anti-skid on or off, something isn't right. It could be the anti-skid simulation. But it could also be the ground friction simulation, or the physical simulation of the brakes themselves (i.e., not the computer that controls the anti-skid function). It's difficult to say.

Nevertheless, the end result is presently incorrect.

I had a little rant here about the dangers of taking the word of apparent authority figures, but I've removed it.

I was going to post a rant about the dangers of taking the word of people who get all their knowledge from PC games, but I decided against it.

Okay, so after trying to sort through the info in the thread, it's boiled down to:

"If anti-skid is functioning correctly, the game should not be leaving skid marks on the runway."

or:

"Anti-skid is not fully functioning, because the measured stopping distance between ON and OFF are basically the same using proper braking technique."

Is this the majority's general assessment?

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Okay, so after trying to sort through the info in the thread, it's boiled down to:

"If anti-skid is functioning correctly, the game should not be leaving skid marks on the runway."

or:

"Anti-skid is not fully functioning, because the measured stopping distance between ON and OFF are basically the same using proper braking technique."

Is this the majority's general assessment?

Actually the biggest proof its not functioning is exactally the distancing beeing the same while NOT using the proper braking technique: we are getting the same results with it on and off while applying full brakes in which anti-skid should make the difference from maximum performance braking vs instant lockup followed by blown tires

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

Actually the biggest proof its not functioning is exactally the distancing beeing the same while NOT using the proper braking technique: we are getting the same results with it on and off while applying full brakes in which anti-skid should make the difference from maximum performance braking vs instant lockup followed by blown tires

this!