Autopilot wont engage

Dooker
Go to solution Solved by pete_auau,

Hey All,

I've seen some passing mentions about his but haven't been able to determine if this is it. I cannot engage HSEL or BARO altitude holds with the AP. I can engage Attitude and thats it. I usually can't get the ":" to engage and the aircraft does NOT respond to HDG changes even if it is. The autopilot does seem to be engaged though as it resists stick inputs. I've read that this can be overcome by implementing a dead zone? I've never had to do that in the past. Could my crappy barely calibrated rudder pedals that are constantly going out of sync (uncommanded rudder input) be causing this problem? I'm on the road work for a while and haven't been able to test the latter but any suggestions would ease my mind!

Hey All,

I've seen some passing mentions about his but haven't been able to determine if this is it. I cannot engage HSEL or BARO altitude holds with the AP. I can engage Attitude and thats it. I usually can't get the ":" to engage and the aircraft does NOT respond to HDG changes even if it is. The autopilot does seem to be engaged though as it resists stick inputs. I've read that this can be overcome by implementing a dead zone? I've never had to do that in the past. Could my crappy barely calibrated rudder pedals that are constantly going out of sync (uncommanded rudder input) be causing this problem? I'm on the road work for a while and haven't been able to test the latter but any suggestions would ease my mind!

This is s solved puzzle. The stick has to be centered perfectly to engage autopilot. This can be achieved with dead zone. For example my stick is set dead zone 3.

• 3 years later...

I've got a similar issue going on except that the A/P appears to be engaging, the colon lights up on the HDG and BARO buttons but it doesn't appear to be actually doing anything, the jet will continue to climb or descend, won't turn to the selected heading and eventually the A/P will kick off and give the wheep wheep warning.  I've also tried not selecting the a/p until the jet is in level flight but that doesn't seem to work either.    

I don't think it's a dead zone issue since I've got some set already and the buttons are showing that the a/p is engaged.  What am I missing?

3 hours ago, Fergi19 said:

I've got a similar issue going on except that the A/P appears to be engaging, the colon lights up on the HDG and BARO buttons but it doesn't appear to be actually doing anything, the jet will continue to climb or descend, won't turn to the selected heading and eventually the A/P will kick off and give the wheep wheep warning.  I've also tried not selecting the a/p until the jet is in level flight but that doesn't seem to work either.    

I don't think it's a dead zone issue since I've got some set already and the buttons are showing that the a/p is engaged.  What am I missing?

need  a  track file  to see  whats happening

3 hours ago, Fergi19 said:

ok   had  a look  when i took  control  found  that the my joystick was  very  sensitive  only  had  to  touch it  slightly to  make  the  aircraft  to do  some thing  unlike   when  not  using  your  track file  wether  this  has  got  to do  with your  issues  dont  know.  Also  i found  too  as  you had  selecting the  heading  select  and  alt  hold  had  no  effect  on  aircraft at all seems  like  it  had failures  set  on the  auto pilot.

Have  you tried   flying  level removing  your  joystck from pc  and  trying   to engage  to rule out  your  joystick?

• Solution
48 minutes ago, Fergi19 said:

Have not tried that, I’ll give it a shot. I would think though that the a/p wouldn’t engage in the first place if it sensed stick movement. We’’ll see what I can find. 

your  joystick  could be  sending  spikes  so hopefully  this  will  rule  out  your  joystick

Might not  be  the  issue  but  are you in the  f18c  sim  mode  and  not  game  mode option  

Edited by pete_auau

Thanks for the tip Pete!  For some reason I was in game mode.  Deselected that and now the A/P works like a champ.  The jet flies much better as well, I was having an issue getting it to trim out for on speed after the break, now it's working much better.  Maybe I can even plug a tanker now?  We'll see.

7 hours ago, Fergi19 said:

Thanks for the tip Pete!  For some reason I was in game mode.  Deselected that and now the A/P works like a champ.  The jet flies much better as well, I was having an issue getting it to trim out for on speed after the break, now it's working much better.  Maybe I can even plug a tanker now?  We'll see.

yea  great news