What exactly is MIDS?

Zyll

MIDS is Multi-function Information Distribution System, a Link-16 standard datalink.

MIDS A/B are the encrypted anti-jam digital voice communication channels provided on the MIDS network by the MIDS radio.

It’s doubtful they’ll have a function in DCS, until/unless ED develop an integrated voice comms system. Perhaps SRS will use them on some way, but that’s still to be seen.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

MIDS is Multi-function Information Distribution System, a Link-16 standard datalink.

MIDS A/B are the encrypted anti-jam digital voice communication channels provided on the MIDS network by the MIDS radio.

It’s doubtful they’ll have a function in DCS, until/unless ED develop an integrated voice comms system. Perhaps SRS will use them on some way, but that’s still to be seen.

So what kind of information we will be abble to share with MIDS/Link16? And is link16 last version link, which is in active use now?
I am thinking ground targets coordinates from Awacs. Maybe others info but ground target of opportunity from Awacs represented on the SA page seems very plausible.

We will see as this fantastic system in the Hornet gets more robust.

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I am thinking ground targets coordinates from Awacs. Maybe others info but ground target of opportunity from Awacs represented on the SA page seems very plausible.

We will see as this fantastic system in the Hornet gets more robust.

I think that would be kinda unrealistic since AWACS as I know them don‘t care about ground targets. They don‘t have any sensors to detect and locate ground targets simply because that is not their mission. That is what JSTARS was developed for.

It more likely will be other (attack) aircraft that will share ground targets with you one day. I am thinking of the A-10C, maybe the Harrrier too and hopefully other 4th gen AI jets F-15Es , F-16Cs...and of course another F/A-18C as well.

until/unless ED develop an integrated voice comms system

ED has working on a VIOP system.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3668166&postcount=15142

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3735513&postcount=178

In addition to this new Server software, the team has also been at work developing an integrated Voice Over IP (VOIP) system for DCS World which is based on the growing Web RTC standard. The first phase will allow users to use and create “rooms” and the second phase would integrate the VOIP into in-cockpit radio controls.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Ground target coords will be great, but we dont have MGRS coords implemented on Hornet still. So how that will be working?

Is this something that is in the list of things to come or are we hoping?

Intel i5-9600K @ 3.7GHz

Gigabyte Z370XP SLI Mobo

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4

GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6(Assume the latest driver version)

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Certified Liquid Cooling System

Windows 10 Professional

Oculus Rift-S /TrackIR 5 in case VR dies

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog w/ Thrustmaster T-Flight Rudder Pedals