New RIG!

Hi!

Im getting a laptop very soon!! Its an ACER 5920 designed by BMW (yes, the cool car brand:P)

Well, here are the specs:

Core 2 duo, 2ghz 800mhz 4mb cache

2048Mb RAM 667Mhz

160GB 5400RPM

nVidia 8600GT (performs close to its desktop brother!)

Vista Home Premium

Here are my questions!

1.-Are there any compatibility issues with VISTA and Lockon?

2.-Is this a good rig for playing at max, and 1024x768 resolution?

Thanks a lot!!!!

:thumbup:

Lock On FC under VISTALock On does run well on Vista and those wanting to upgrade, can do it with ease and run Lock On as before, but will need to accept some serious problems with 3rd party software such as Modman, which does not work under Vista neither in its 5 nor in 6 Beta13 versions, SAITEK owners now have a new SST SOFTWARE BETA FOR VISTA , but it won’t be able to run old profiles until a migration tool is made available. Eagle Dynamics has released a patch 1.12b meant to provide compatibility with VISTA as 1.12a does not run under VISTA . Even so you will still need to get a driver update from STARFORCE, as sooner than later the Starforce driver will be disabled by Vista due to incompatibility.

I did NOT encounter any issues with Starforce, I installed it on a new laptop, which came with VISTA Business 32 pre-installed. There may be issues with Sound and GPU drivers that need to be addressed.

- A quick Install Guide

If you had a fully working FC 1.12a copy – and want to upgrade to Vista, in view of Modman inability to install any mods, keep your old copy of Lock On 1.1 by renaming it, then you can later copy the BAZAR, ME, CONFIG and SOUNDS folders and paste it in your new install, this will allow you to have all the Mods without having to go through a manual install for each mod.

Installing FC on Vista requires a clean 1.00 install and then over it the 1.1 FC install.

After doing this and BEFORE you continue, load FC for the first time for Starforce to try (it won’t) to register your copy, now you should update it first with the 1.12b PATCH and then do the STARFORCE DRIVER UPDATE and you are ready to go – load FC again and Starforce will run and enable your copy.

Remember to use an utility called Savekeys found at ED site to avoid having to register again and that you need to have admin privileges to edit files etc.

If you installed VISTA, share with us your experience in our FORUMS : we will weep and rejoice with you.

Your specs is almost the same as mine, but i have a 7900GS and 2.16 ghz running on a laptop. if you are playing on a laptop, most likely your res will not be 1024x768. I currently run on 1920x1200 since its a widescreen. And its never a good idea to play on all max, turn down a few things like water or view distance to ensure that everything you encounter will not be laggy. Plus your HD is 5400RPM, so it will need more time to load compare to the 7200 rpm.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi!

Im getting a laptop very soon!! Its an ACER 5920 designed by BMW (yes, the cool car brand:P)

Well, here are the specs:

Core 2 duo, 2ghz 800mhz 4mb cache

2048Mb RAM 667Mhz

160GB 5400RPM

nVidia 8600GT (performs close to its desktop brother!)

Vista Home Premium

Here are my questions!

Thanks a lot!!!!

:thumbup:

1. Yes there is. Say the least I had problems with it. Especially it was frozen at please wait screen often.

2. Yeap.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel Core i7-6700K, @5GHz | Asus Maximus Hero VIII | 2 x eVGA GTX 970 SLI | Kingston Predator 16GB DDR4-3000Mhz | 2 x Samsung 850 PRO 240GB RAID-0 | AOC G2460PG G-SYNC LCD | OCULUS RIFT CV1 VR | THRUSTMASTER HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO PEDALS

Is the 8600 any good? I was tossing up between a 512mb 8600 and a X1650 by ATI with 512.. + 2gb ram..

Might be getting that soon, hows it running?

You have a laptop or a desktop? If you have the latter, I'd suggest something in lines of X1950Pro at least. 8600GT is even slower than 7600 and its Dx10 capabilities are probably very poor.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

I don't actually have any real issues running Flaming Cliffs in Vista..

But in my case in order to get the sim to run perfectly I have to disable Administrator..

There might actually be a fix for this but I think that things should be left well enough alone for now...

~S~

Blaze

intel Cor i7-6700K

ASUS ROG MAX VIII Extreme

G.Skill TridentZ Series 32 GB

Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SATA II

ASUS GTX 1080/DIRECTX 12

Windows 10 PRO

Thrustmaster Warthog

Oculus Rift VR

7600 better than 8600GT? are you mad?:P

thats funny:D

Ok, I said slower and went over the hill. What I meant is that in older games (like Lock On which is the point of this thread) their performance is pretty similar, 7600GT can even end up faster in some tests. And it's dirt cheap.

The Nvidia mid-level cards (like 7600 series) used to offer the performance level of the top level cards of the previous generation (e.g. 7600GT was equal or better than 6800GT/Ultra) but not anymore.

So, to sum up what I wanted to express - don't buy 8600GT, Nvidia cut it down too much.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

good looking rig dude...but yeah.....SK is right..... U will never play it at 1024 anymore... 1920 by 1200 is amazing. :p I still have screens when I used to play earlier in summer ;)

ScreenShot_035.thumb.jpg.821413c4f35d8d655bf3128e52b6b695.jpg

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

SuperKungfu ! okay! suggestion: water at high is pretty good and saves more fps than water at very high. Apart from that...YES...you can set everything else to high and put AA to 4x and AF to 4x. Have the ride the way lomac is supposed to be flown. ;)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

thanks...

so if i just have normal version of Lock On, do I need to download any patches or things to make LOMAC v1.0 (i suppose) run on VISTA?

If it is not already, 1.02 is what you want to get patched to.

You should not need anything special for Vista unless you go to 1.1 or above and its StarForce protection.

I have difficulty running on all hight... look at sig for specs... what can i expect from that.

How much memory does that 8600 have? and is it 128 or 256 bit?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Your main issue is going to be whats the native res for your laptop. If you run an LCD in anything but it's native it looks like trash. Say it's a odd res like my laptop 1280X900 then you are going to have to edit some stuff to run that. I am going to assume that it will be at least 1280X1024 as the native. I recommend running at your native and turning some stuff down. Other than that is should run lock on nicely.

thanks,

ive got this copy of LOCK ON

5190RBJS75L._SS500_.jpg

Do you think it runs on VISTA? or it comes with incompatible patches or so?

really, spend $20 and get FC! that computer will handle it and you'll get much better performance. (Less bugs) and you'll be able to play online w/ more people.

I'm prety sure that version runs on vista, but i know how to make FC work. It's not too much of a pain, and you only have to change the settings once.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices