OT: Pilot Physical req's

Hi everybody!

:P

Just a few q's about tha air force.. in general.. its probably different over here (Aus) but oh well.

Ive always wanted 2 enlist in the Raaf, n im thinking of joining the AAFC (the cadets).

Anyway to the point.

What are the general sort of medical/physical requirements for a pilot?

ive got a minor scoliosis (like 9 degrees) so I dunno how that will shape up . .

yeh thats basically it lol..

oh and if anyone wants 2 give their opinion on the cadets i wanna hear it coz im still not 100% sure :)

cheers

Is breaking the laws of gravity illegal?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I was in the AAFC for two years in Cairns. Was an awesome experience and if you are looking to go into the RAAF i would highly recommend it. It will give you a taste of the air force life...Like doing drill for 12 hours straight and the constant badgering from officers to polish your shoes and straighten your creases! But you also get some pretty unique opportunities. Definitely one of the better decisions in my life.

Nah, that shouldn't be a problem at all. I'm not sure if they're even gonna do the check on that.

Yeah doctors arent doing anything about it, theyre just like after 5 mins looking at it, 'ok youre free to go, thatll b 300 bucks'.. ?!?!?!

lol thanks guyz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi everybody!

:P

Just a few q's about tha air force.. in general.. its probably different over here (Aus) but oh well.

Ive always wanted 2 enlist in the Raaf, n im thinking of joining the AAFC (the cadets).

Anyway to the point.

What are the general sort of medical/physical requirements for a pilot?

ive got a minor scoliosis (like 9 degrees) so I dunno how that will shape up . .

yeh thats basically it lol..

oh and if anyone wants 2 give their opinion on the cadets i wanna hear it coz im still not 100% sure :)

cheers

I would say it is highly unlikely you would pass the medical. The G forces alone ( up to 12 G ) would possibly cause long term spinal damage. That aside, if you eject from an aircraft , with normal spinal vertebrae, you will almost certainly have severe spinal bruising at best. At worst long term back damage !

good luck :pilotfly:

I would say it is highly unlikely you would pass the medical. The G forces alone ( up to 12 G ) would possibly cause long term spinal damage. That aside, if you eject from an aircraft , with normal spinal vertebrae, you will almost certainly have severe spinal bruising at best. At worst long term back damage !

good luck :pilotfly:

Google says!

http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/pdfs/Waiver%20Guide%20%20-%20Ortho.pdf

13.1 ABNORMAL SPINAL CURVATURE

AEROMEDICAL CONCERNS: Excessive kyphosis, scoliosis, lordosis, or combinations of them may make the spine unstable during ejection. Symptomatic conditions may cause distracting backache during flight.

WAIVER: Scoliosis over 20 degrees is disqualifying with no waiver for applicants, but can be waived in designated personnel. Kyphosis over 40 degrees is CD, but can be waived up to 45 degrees in designated personnel. Waiver is not normally recommended when there is pain or interference with function or when the condition is progressive.

INFORMATION REQUIRED:

1. Orthopedic consultation with measurement of any scoliosis by the Cobb method. Films should be taken in a standing position, and the measurements made by the radiologist or orthopedist.

2. Cardiology consultation may be required to exclude pulmonary hypertension in those cases where right axis deviation is seen on EKG.

TREATMENT: Scoliosis, if caused by an anatomical short leg, may be improved with a trial of a heel lift on the affected side. OMT/Manual medicine and/or heel lift therapy when successful is NCD. Surgical treatment is disqualifying.

DISCUSSION: Curvature beyond 30 degrees poses risk for ejection injury. The center of gravity of the upper torso lies in front of the spine. Whenever loads are applied along the spinal axis, as in ejection, a bending movement is produced which increases as the disparity between the long axis of the spine and the line of application of the force is increased. While a waiver is possible for designated aircrew, there is little point in considering a waiver for applicants as initial training will involve ejection seat aircraft. The long term outcome in cases of scoliosis up to 30 degrees is very favorable, but above 30 degrees is uncertain. Note that there is a 3-5 degree error in measurements taken by the Cobb method. Consideration to disproportional leg lengths and/or pelvic torsion as an insult to cause symptomatic excessive spinal curvature should be considered. OMT/Manual medicine with an experienced physician may provide greater spinal normalization and relief of symptoms.

I don't know which branch of which service that's for - it's a Lightning Google act - but the discussion seems to indicate that actually, 9 degrees might not be an instant disqualification :)

We have the P-3 Orion for the maritime, F-111 as our bomber, L-19 in army co-operation, PC-9 and bae hawk for trainers, we got no recon planes but we're getting wedgetails (i think), transport we have C-17s, challenger 604, boeing jets, DHC-6 twin. I fink thats it :)

Apart from C-130s n watnot.

Umm I read Britgliderpilots article part thingo on the scoliosis n watnot it said Scoliosis over 20 degrees will be disqualified right. Mine is less than 9, gives me no trouble and has stopped gettin worse. So maybe good?

Also - Its caused by my short left leg, and i read there i may improve it or something by raising my left leg?

its a dogs leg curve I guess u cud call it that anyway. Like, its just down near the lumbar

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Umm I read Britgliderpilots article part thingo on the scoliosis n watnot it said Scoliosis over 20 degrees will be disqualified right. Mine is less than 9, gives me no trouble and has stopped gettin worse. So maybe good?

Also - Its caused by my short left leg, and i read there i may improve it or something by raising my left leg?

Don't worry about your 9 degrees scoliosis. Just sign to Judo club. It will straight you. I'm serious with this. But problem is with unsimetrical legs lenght... They will check it mate :music_whistling:

Its caused by my short left leg

Sorry i mean its made my left leg 'shorter' but not like physically shorter.

EDIT:

No way with block in your shoe - you must get naked

and i meant stickin a block in my shoe in hope of forcing my left leg to straighten out my spine from now till i enlist or wateva :P

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]