MiG-21 used plain water for AB?!!

I just witnessed CroAF MiG-21bis overhaul in ZTZ-Zagreb (maintenace facility) and mechanics tested it's r-25-300 engine.

I spoke to one of the mechanics I met there on fuel consumption during AB use and he told me something I can really believe!

He said that there's no additional fuel needed for AB to kick in and fuel consumption remains the same as with Full Military throttle.

He also mentioned and showed me something that can be best described as a shower handle that injects plain water into exhaust. It's a simple pipe with lots of small holes so when the water hits hot nozzle it desintegrates into 2 X Hydrogen and Oxygen and burning Hydrogen creates additional power.

I find it hard to believe or I might have understood it wrong!

What do you guys think?!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

He also mentioned and showed me something that can be best described as a shower handle that injects plain water into exhaust. It's a simple pipe with lots of small holes so when the water hits hot nozzle it desintegrates into 2 X Hydrogen and Oxygen and burning Hydrogen creates additional power.

-- text deleted --

-- Even more text deleted --

Best that it would do is create some steam, but that would not cause extra thrust, it only cools down the exhaust gases. The amount of energy still comes 100% from the fuel, and by water no extra energy is added ...

• Like 2

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Watter is commonly used to aid in air compression.

It evaporates very rapidely as air heats up into the compressors stages and promotes higher compression rates. It also results into more gas flow being fed to the combustion chamber and higher expansion down to the nozzle providing extra thrust. But this method has being phased out for years as better alloys allow higher operating temperatures to provide the same compression rates.

Never heard about using it as fuel because in order to decompose it, it will have to decrease the exaust gases in the first place.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

I did hear of fireman going "omg, why isn't this water putting out this chemical fire", and it was because of precisely that, it decomposing... but that was at 6000 K. The exhaust temp far less.

Never forget that World War III was not Cold for most of us.

I think (but could be totally wrong) that Sea Harriers used it while hovering ... hence they were limited to how long they could hover by the amount of water they carried.

The Harriers use water for cooling, as far as I know. Without it, the Pegasus-engine would say byebye pretty fast in a hover =)

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

I just witnessed CroAF MiG-21bis overhaul in ZTZ-Zagreb (maintenace facility) and mechanics tested it's r-25-300 engine.

I spoke to one of the mechanics I met there on fuel consumption during AB use and he told me something I can really believe!

He said that there's no additional fuel needed for AB to kick in and fuel consumption remains the same as with Full Military throttle.

I find it hard to believe or I might have understood it wrong!

What do you guys think?!

Well, the mechanic was either talking rubbish (unlikely) or there was a little communication problem there between you two (likely).

• Like 1

The watter injection engines use today is merely for washing the engine on the ground, nothing more.

• Like 1

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Maby not water but hydrogen?

Too volatile since it'll go boom when it comes into contact with oxygene.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Wow, I didn't even open this topic until now because I thought it was widely known.

Yes, the right amount of water squirted into the engine can produce a large increase in thrust, as long as it fully and instantly evaporates from a compact liquid into a high-pressure vapor. The Soviets definitely fielded this on some early MiG, although I can't remember now if it was the MiG-21 or already on the first MiG-17F.

That's the first time I heard of an afterburner that doesn't dramatically increase fuel consumption, however. I think there was a misunderstanding on that part.

-SK

The Soviets definitely fielded this on some early MiG, although I can't remember now if it was the MiG-21 or already on the first MiG-17F.
So GS ;) Nobody needs go back to school. Vekkinho didn't totally misunderstood the technician either. Can someone confirm this. Alfa mayby? I can't find any info about this...

From the site indicated:

"Injection of water into the air-compressor inlet also increases the thrust, but can be used only at take-off because of the high water consumption."

In fact it was used not only in fighters, but in civilian passenger planes also, like the Fokker F-27/FAirchild-Hiller FH-227 (and every plane equipped with Rolls-Royce Dart engines). In this case, not only water, but a mix of water+methanol.

I know this because I worked with that planes before.

But in Brazil we don't have them anymore.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz; Intel Board DG41RQ; Sparkle GF 9800 GT 1 GB DDR3; 2 x Kingston KVR800D2N6/2G 2 GB DDR2 800; Samsung SyncMaster T240M LCD; Samsung HD502HI 500GB 5400rpm; Samsung CDDVDW SH-S223C; eXtream X-Raptor 650W FEX-65P14HE; Leadership Commander 6731; Clone Cobra 01654; Leadership Twin Turbo 1021;D-LINK DWA 510; WISE RJAC-323 Black Piano; Zalman ZM-F3 LED 120 mm; Windows 7 HP 64.

After burning is dumping raw fuel into the combustion chamber. I don't see how that wouldn't do anything but increase the fuel flow rate.

Water injection is a well known way to increase engine thrust. It's not because of the water's hydrogen burning. It's the "weight" of the extra thrust the engine can generate with cooling.

"The maximum power a turbine engine can output depends largely upon the density or weight of the flow of the gases through the engine. Therefore, when the atmospheric pressure decreases or ambient air temperature increases, there is a loss in thrust. The power output can be boosted or restored by cooling the airflow with water or coolant."

http://cobweb.ecn.purdue.edu/~propulsi/propulsion/jets/basics/water.html

But isn't it better just to have more fuel instead? Jet fuel is like 0.8 the weight of water, so you can have 20% more fuel, weight wise. Then you need seperate water tanks, plumbing, a water NOW! T-bar in the cockpit, not to mention a 'fuel' truck that has a water connector. Seems to me it is better to have more fuel than water, even complexity wise.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

But isn't it better just to have more fuel instead? Jet fuel is like 0.8 the weight of water, so you can have 20% more fuel, weight wise. Then you need seperate water tanks, plumbing, a water NOW! T-bar in the cockpit, not to mention a 'fuel' truck that has a water connector. Seems to me it is better to have more fuel than water, even complexity wise.

Yeah, but then you need to make the engine heavier in order to distribute the excess heat. Water would give you extra thrust without increasing the temperature of the engine.

I think..

-SK