Tanker Speed and AWACS Problems

Jetguy06

Hey guys. I'm having two separate problems I need help with.

I've created a mission flying the Hornet, and I've got an E-2 Hawkeye with a KC-135 (the one with the two hoses on the wingtips).

First, the AWACS. No matter what I do with the advanced waypoints, I can't make the E-2 show up in the radio menu when I need to contact him. I have him set to USA, his callsign is Magic, his frequency is 124, and his advanced waypoint options are to start AWACS tasking as soon as hitting waypoint 1. But I can't contact him through the radio menu no matter what I do.

Now, the tanker. I have no problems contacting or joining/refueling with him, but again, no matter what I do with standard or advanced waypoint options, he ALWAYS flies at 190 knots when tanking. I have his speed set to 290 in the advanced waypoint options, and all of his waypoints are set to this speed except for the final one where I have him lining up with the runway at Kobuleti to land.

I'll attach my mission if anyone needs to take a look at it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hornet SEAD Mission.miz

I've created a mission flying the Hornet, and I've got an E-2 Hawkeye with a KC-135 (the one with the two hoses on the wingtips).

First, the AWACS. No matter what I do with the advanced waypoints, I can't make the E-2 show up in the radio menu when I need to contact him. I have him set to USA, his callsign is Magic, his frequency is 124, and his advanced waypoint options are to start AWACS tasking as soon as hitting waypoint 1. But I can't contact him through the radio menu no matter what I do.

Now, the tanker. I have no problems contacting or joining/refueling with him, but again, no matter what I do with standard or advanced waypoint options, he ALWAYS flies at 190 knots when tanking. I have his speed set to 290 in the advanced waypoint options, and all of his waypoints are set to this speed except for the final one where I have him lining up with the runway at Kobuleti to land.

Haven'T test for the awacs yet, but i can tell your for you tanker is simply you need to raise the speed in your ME, in game it's IAS while in ME is not, it's Ground Speed, (small checkbox besides with GS i presume stands for ground speed, not sure), so in game speed won't match the ME, for exemple for me it's flying at 203 IAS ing ame and in the ME i made it 310 instead of 290

Haven'T test for the awacs yet, but i can tell your for you tanker is simply you need to raise the speed in your ME, in game it's IAS while in ME is not, it's Ground Speed, (small checkbox besides with GS i presume stands for ground speed, not sure), so in game speed won't match the ME, for exemple for me it's flying at 203 IAS ing ame and in the ME i made it 310 instead of 290

Makes sense. I'm trying to get the tanker to fly at a more realistic indicated airspeed, so it sounds like I need to set the ME speed to something around 360 or so, just to get the tanker to fly at a minimum of ~250.

For the AWACS, found it, in your advanced Waypoint options, just bring AWACS on top of the Orbit action option, AWACS options need to be first, doing so the AWACS appears after in the menu.

290 kph would be very roughly 190 knots . Check mission editor units ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Makes sense. I'm trying to get the tanker to fly at a more realistic indicated airspeed, so it sounds like I need to set the ME speed to something around 360 or so, just to get the tanker to fly at a minimum of ~250.

Yep pretty much, in my mission the KC-135 is set exactly to 350 KTS and in game gives me about 230 IAS for the conditions i set.

How do I check the ME units? They could be metric by accident, but I'm not sure how to tell.

you are fine, if my game is set in miles, feet and knots, you are as well, cuz the speed you wrote in your original post is what i get in game and mission editor. which is, 290 Kts in ME and 190 IAS in game. Start to play around with the options i told you and see if it works. Let me know if not and i'll take a look back, but so far, worked for me on your mission.

Edited by Doum76

I though km/h was roughly 1.8x kts? So 190 kts would be close to 500 kts?

Yeah , found the conversion . 1.852 . Strange problem.....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Oh , just noticed GS vs IAS , so altitude-dependent

I shouldn't post before coffee ! (X2) :)

Yeah , found the conversion . 1.852 . Strange problem.....

t's not a problem, as i said, in mission editor is Ground Speed (not including, wind and other factors and is simply the moving speed of the aicraft relative to the ground) still in knots if i am not mistaken, though in game is indicated air speed, in knots, but including wind and factors.

you are fine, if my game is set in miles, feet and knots, you are as well, cuz the speed you wrote in your original post is what i get in game and mission editor. which is, 290 Kts in ME and 190 IAS in game. Start to play around with the options i told you and see if it works. Let me know if not and i'll take a look back, but so far, worked for me on your mission.

Thanks. I'll check later. I'm on my way to a CAF meeting in New Orleans right now. I'll give it a look as soon as I get back.

You need to set the Tanker speed according to the height it is at.

I generally set the Tanker for the F/A-18 to cruise at around 250 kias. To get this set the Speed in the Mission Editor as follows:

30,000 ft. 400 Kts. - a bit too high for my comfort

25,000 ft. 375 kts.

20,000 ft. 350 kts

15,000 ft. 325 kts

10,000 ft. 300 kts

For intermediate heights, change it by 5 kts per 1000 ft.

I generally set the Tanker for the F/A-18 to cruise at around 250 kias. To get this set the Speed in the Mission Editor as follows:

25,000 ft. 375 kts.

20,000 ft. 350 kts

15,000 ft. 325 kts

10,000 ft. 300 kts

Thanks for this :) i usualy always do test and errors until i get +/- 250 ias in game :) Will save me time next time from going in game and misison editor back and forth

• 4 weeks later...

25,000 ft. 375 kts.

20,000 ft. 350 kts

15,000 ft. 325 kts

10,000 ft. 300 kts

Thanks a lot! :thumbup:

Very useful quick calculation method.

I always knew ME sets speed in GS, but was not really aware how big differences can occur in weather and different alt.

I come here to chew bubblegum and kick-ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum. :D

The in game airspeed is showing indicated airspeed. But in the editor, you have to enter TRUE airspeed.

To get a little closer to your desired airspeed, you can use this calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tasinfocalc.html

For the OAT correction factor, I've found that .015 is pretty accurate at 1000 ft MSL, and .019 is pretty accurate at 20,000 ft MSL. So a factor of .017 will put you in the ballpark (within 5-10 knots) at whatever altitude your tanker is at.

These numbers are based on an altimeter setting of 29.97 and a temp of 68 degrees F...

What doesn't make sense about this setting is that telling a pilot to fly at 300 knots, he should fly at 300 KIAS... what his airspeed indicator says. And NOT TAS.

Wayz Out

Intel Core i9 9900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z390E Gaming MB | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32gb DDR4-3200 | GeForce RTX 2080 Ti | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe

HTC Vive Pro VR | Logitech G x56 HOTAS | Logitech G PRO Pedals