Oculus headphones kerput!

Mule

I have had my rift for just over 2 years now so the warranty is out. The sound started to go in the left ear and now the right has stopped.

I looked online for solutions but I'm not going to start taking it apart because I am useless when it comes to that sort of thing.

Anyway, I got myself some wireless headphones and took the Rift headphones off (easy job) This solution to the problem is much better sound quality and more comfortable. So at the end of the day, not a big deal.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any issues with there headset sound?

Happened to me..the left earphone stopped working. I narrowed it down to the actual earphone being faulty and Oculus replaced it free of charge even tho' Rift was just over two years old. I have since superglued the right side adjustment strap so I don't get the dreaded 'right earphone fail caused by the ribbon cable breaking. There is plenty of adjustment in the left strap for comfortable deployment and no electrical connections that side.

Seems to be a design flaw...pleased you found your own solution tho' :)

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

While it seems to be a somewhat common problem I think due to the ribbon cable used for audio, I have been fortunate so far and not had an issue (over 2 years). And I use this thing almost daily.

<knocking on wood>.

If it ever does go out on me, I have decent set of headphones I can certainly use.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Going through this on my second Rift, waiting for "shipping instructions", it's a shame simple replaceable parts aren't well more easily replaceable.

All I can say is I miss the built in head phones for ease of use. :(

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

While it seems to be a somewhat common problem I think due to the ribbon cable used for audio, I have been fortunate so far and not had an issue (over 2 years). And I use this thing almost daily.

<knocking on wood>.

If it ever does go out on me, I have decent set of headphones I can certainly use.

I suggest you fix the right side strap then Don. The trick is to put the headset on and mark the position of the right side strap. Then at least, tape up the strap so it can't move in and out. You'll find that there is enough movement in the left strap to use it normally. Be aware that apart from the audio being routed through the ribbon cable it also powers the rear leds.

Windows 10 Professional

I suggest you fix the right side strap then Don. The trick is to put the headset on and mark the position of the right side strap. Then at least, tape up the strap so it can't move in and out. You'll find that there is enough movement in the left strap to use it normally. Be aware that apart from the audio being routed through the ribbon cable it also powers the rear leds.

Ok will have a look thanks.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yep, I took a screwdriver and fastened it stronger. Problem is gone. :D

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

Right side audio failed a little over 2 years old. Noticed Right side rear sensors seemed to be going out for last 6 months. Now audio in right ear went from intermittent to completely dead. Have a support ticket in with Oculus, but doubt they'll do much for me. Have already swapped in ear and over ear headphones so I know it's internal to the rift.

I had complete failure on the first set of phones that came with mine, were replaced under warranty

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Edited by Mking
Sorry other thread

System

Hydro H115i with 8700k @ 4,9 ghz all cores, Asus strix Z370 f, 32gb ddr4 3600Mhz, Asusrog swift 34 gsync ,Vr hp Reverb .Palit gaming pro 2080 ti Thrustmaster Warthog f18grip and th pedal

Steamvr ss 100% and dcs world ss 180%

tomcat eats the viper for breakfast :P

Lange lebe die Tomcat": Long live the Cat!

Anyone got a photo of what you mean by taping the right side?

I would think you would just tape the strap on the right side with it extended to how you wear it, to where it slides in and out won't slide.

Don B

So, my headset also encountered this design flaw.

The headphones worked until you put the headset on (thus stretching the headband back to fit my large melon).

The good news is, and your mileage may vary, Oculus kindly agreed to RMA it. So I sent it back with a label they emailed me and a replacement (likely refurbished) is on its way. Hopefully the replacement works.

-Cru

I would think you would just tape the strap on the right side with it extended to how you wear it, to where it slides in and out won't slide.

Exactly :thumbup:

As mine is well over the 2 year warranty now, I actually super glued that side. Tape works, and you have the option to remove it, but it gets sticky and lets go eventually.

Windows 10 Professional

Taping only works to prevent this problem from occurring, if you have lost the sound then the ribbon is damaged, the HMD will need replacing or just use your own earphones

Exactly :thumbup:

Windows 10 Professional

My right speaker quit after 2 months of use, was replaced without question. They even sent a new cable back when all I had sent was the headset.

A year and a half later and the left speaker is acting up. Have taped both sides now so it can't move at all. Has worked fine taped up for the last couple months.

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Yep, right side for me too. Still got the box from the last return in case I need to send it back. I should just tape it just in case.

I must admit I thought the customer service experience I had was superb. 2 or 3 emails back and forth to confirm the fault and they asked me to send it back, received a recon one about 10 days later.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Yep, right side for me too. Still got the box from the last return in case I need to send it back. I should just tape it just in case.

I must admit I thought the customer service experience I had was superb. 2 or 3 emails back and forth to confirm the fault and they asked me to send it back, received a recon one about 10 days later.

My experience as well. A few emails, they paid for everything, close to 2 weeks from the day I shipped it back, until it was returned. I should add, they sent back a refurbished unit, but I was advised before hand, and basically had no choice but to accept.

Perhaps my "slight reluctance" to accept a refurb was why they sent a $60 cable back, who knows.

Edited by Muskoka

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Wow!

My headset is over 2 years old and the right side audio failed. Much to my surprise, I've just received notification that Oculus is going to replace it with a refurbished unit!

They're even paying the shipping! Simply amazeballs customer service!

Just thought I'd pass along to the community.

Wow!

My headset is over 2 years old and the right side audio failed. Much to my surprise, I've just received notification that Oculus is going to replace it with a refurbished unit!

They're even paying the shipping! Simply amazeballs customer service!

Just thought I'd pass along to the community.

:thumbup:

That is awesomeness and excellent customer service !

Don B

Huh.

My right earphone failed about a month ago, it’s the earphone itself not the ribbon cable, confirmed by swapping sides. I’ve had it for 2 years on the nose, and Oculus support said I’m on my own to purchase new phones.

I didn’t make a fuss knowing that it’s out of warranty, but while I’m happy for those who have had this covered 2+ years post purchase, I’m disappointed in the double standard...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

If you unscrew the speakers you can test by putting them on the opposite side to see if it's a speaker or the interconnect cable. Before you buy new slpeakers.

I'm shipping my Rift back today this one is just under a year old.so under warranty just.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.