Does the F18 over powered?

nickos86

Base on what? What is your frame of reference?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

I wish people would check their facts before posting, it's getting like Facebook. Eurofighter, SU-35, Rafale, Gripen NG, F16-N....Oh and Concord...RIP ;(

Windows 10 64 bit | Intel i5-9600k OC 5 Ghz | RTX 2080 |VENGEANCE® LPX 32GB DDR 4 OC 3200

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4

You can check this using the charts nickos86

Download all of them here

This chart is for 34,000 LBS (2)Aim-9 (2) Aim-7

attachment.php?attachmentid=203506&stc=1&d=1548936048

Combat_Range_34.thumb.jpg.c62c2d81fc7249cb2b3b3de6b6ef5cbe.jpg

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

David OC - Thanks for the chart! Very interesting.

P.S

guys, don't be so negative. The whole idea of this forum is to ask questions. I'm sure there are real life Hornet pilots here that can give more insights on the current F.M and engine performance.

My reference is based only on the felling I'm getting in flying this jet (or other fighter jets) in other sims so don't get mad ;)

David OC - Thanks for the chart! Very interesting.

P.S

guys, don't be so negative. The whole idea of this forum is to ask questions. I'm sure there are real life Hornet pilots here that can give more insights on the current F.M and engine performance.

My reference is based only on the felling I'm getting in flying this jet (or other fighter jets) in other sims so don't get mad ;)

You’re correct that this forum provides an opportunity to ask questions, but that’s not what you did.

You voiced a poorly researched opinion.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

well...today I learned that the F-22's super cruise wasn't as special as they made it sound.

Achieving super cruise is one thing, doing so while being fuel efficient and in areas no one else can operate in is another. The -22s capabilities are still pretty special. The -22 is still way ahead.

well...today I learned that the F-22's super cruise wasn't as special as they made it sound.

Well the F22 can supercruise at something like 1.8mach at altitude, with a full load of internal weapons. No other fighter can really touch that, it's still special.

Supercruise implies in flying at supersonic speeds without the need of afterburner to maintain that speed with a useful loadout, not a clean airframe, an F-16, for example, can maintain supersonic speeds as long as you use AB to break through the sound barrier.

Regarding the Mach number, IIRC that's the indicated Mach number on the HUD, the speed of sound at 31,000 ft during the winter is going to be different than the one at sea level. It's a function of temperature.

"feeling I get" is of course a valid frame of reference </s>

I remember the Formula One simulation game I was playing felt wayyy overpowered, I mean the cars were going just so fast, even in 2nd gear. When I drove my own car in RL thereafter, I felt that it was totally underpowered - should I open a forum thread about it or contact the manufacturer? After all I feel that it is just not right. ;)

Of course, you mustn't forget that DCS has a little more advanced approach to flight modeling, that stands apart from other sims. Are you going to the other sims forums then and compare them to DCS as well?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Hi,

I feel that the F18 is over power. It feels to me that It's accelerating to quickly, climb to fast and can super cruise.

would you agree?

Why would I agree? You're not listing any comparables.

• MB: MPG Z790 EDGE WIFI
  • Memory: WD Black SN850X 2TB PCIe Gen4 NVMe M.2
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-14900K Desktop Processor 24 cores (8P+16E) 36M Cache
  • EVGA 1200W Gold PSU
  • MSI RTX 3090
  • TrackIR on Samsung 49 inch Odyssey Widescreen
  • No money in my pocket lol

Depends on what you see as supercruise. Technically, this is just "transcruise", supercruise starts at 1.2 or 1.3 depending on source. BTW the F-15C can do this as well in DCS. I even did this with the Harrier (1.05ish) before they added lots of drag to her (Vne = M 1, but doesn't mean she could not exceed that per se).

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Hi,

I feel that the F18 is over power. It feels to me that It's accelerating to quickly, climb to fast and can super cruise.

would you agree?

No. That is because the definition of supercruise does not include the transsonic region (up to about M1.1-1.15 IIRC, don't quote me on that).

A relatively clean aircraft can do this, the engines are quite powerful. The F-22 will supercruise at M1.7-1.8 without afterburner.

Someone has already pointed you at the charts, so I suggest that if you find something that you feel is wrong, check it against the charts!

Keep in mind that you need to reproduce the conditions for the chart, ie:

- Atmosphere parameters

- Aircraft payload

- Take off/flight technique, if any is required.

This means you have to read the charts very carefully, and also a lot of material before the charts are even presented, so that you understand exactly what they mean.

If you find that the simulation is quite a bit off compared to the charts, that should be reported. 'Feelings' aren't useful :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I'm sure there are real life Hornet pilots here that can give more insights on the current F.M and engine performance.

My reference is based only on the felling I'm getting in flying this jet (or other fighter jets) in other sims so don't get mad

they've already given their insights before you asked your question

to ignore it (this is a topic that has come up before) and second guess it (you think you are the only person that has paid attention to this?) is in fact an insult to all the people who have put in more time and effort than you to research the subject

others have as much right to get angry at that as you do to make such poorly-based assertions

Edited by probad

Ridiculous response to this thread. There are now probably a hundred threads in this subforum that are barely on topic, or individuals asking RTFM questions. This guy just wants to discuss his perception of the FM.

For what it's worth, there are situations in which I agree. Probably shouldn't be able to climb at 40-50 alpha.