The Motion Integrated G-Seat

If I understand the design correctly, the seat provides 2 rotational axis (pitch and roll) and one translational axis (up/down), as well as shoulder harness pressure to simulate g's.  So from a flightsim perspective the one thing that is missing is the 3rd rotational axis (yaw) - the other 2 translational axis, are less important in flight sim i would guess.  The shoulder tension is a fantastic add, but do you miss the yaw motion at all while flying? Particulary if you were to fly a WWII prop?

• 4 weeks later...

The primary design philosophies of the seat are:

• Simulate transient and sustained forces felt in flight
  • Small footprint, able to be used standalone or within a fixed-base simulator
  • No requirement for motion cancellation in VR

It accomplishes the above with 3DOF movement, coupled with pressure application/removal via changing seat geometry and harness pressures.

Regarding the question on the importance of a yaw movement, the seat is all about simulating the forces that provide you feedback into your piloting and the behavior of the aircraft.  If you were sat at the precise center of gravity of the aircraft you'd feel a pure rotation during yaw.  However, for the vast majority of aircraft (especially on warbirds), you're sat pretty forward of the CG which means there's a moment arm that provides a sway force on the pilot during a yaw rotation.

A sustained sway force in a motion seat is produced on the roll axis so in my seat I include a component of yaw-rate into the motion represented by the seat roll-axis.  That works well in warbirds, helicopters etc.   You could, theoretically, build the whole seat onto a platform that rotates in yaw, but then you'd have to account for motion compensation in VR, and would be very diminishing returns and much more gimmicky than effective in successfully simulating flight forces.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
Il 1/12/2022 at 19:14, Merlins51 ha scritto:

The primary design philosophies of the seat are:

• Simulate transient and sustained forces felt in flight
  • Small footprint, able to be used standalone or within a fixed-base simulator
  • No requirement for motion cancellation in VR

It accomplishes the above with 3DOF movement, coupled with pressure application/removal via changing seat geometry and harness pressures.

Regarding the question on the importance of a yaw movement, the seat is all about simulating the forces that provide you feedback into your piloting and the behavior of the aircraft.  If you were sat at the precise center of gravity of the aircraft you'd feel a pure rotation during yaw.  However, for the vast majority of aircraft (especially on warbirds), you're sat pretty forward of the CG which means there's a moment arm that provides a sway force on the pilot during a yaw rotation.

A sustained sway force in a motion seat is produced on the roll axis so in my seat I include a component of yaw-rate into the motion represented by the seat roll-axis.  That works well in warbirds, helicopters etc.   You could, theoretically, build the whole seat onto a platform that rotates in yaw, but then you'd have to account for motion compensation in VR, and would be very diminishing returns and much more gimmicky than effective in successfully simulating flight forces.

Hello @Merlins51, 
did you accomplish the DIY build of the seat?

How much money did you spent on the building of the whole unit? In which country are you based?

Do you have some photos or videos to share with us? 🙂

Thank you!

• Like 1

It very much depends on the parts and where you get them from. Mine was maybe around 3k in total but thats  just a good guess as I build an F14 homepit as well and so it was a big project in total.

Sorry, no pictures in public but maybe I will upload some videos of my whole setup in the future.

Edited by Ragnaroek
grammar
  • Thanks 1

Il 1/9/2023 at 18:58, Ragnaroek ha scritto:

It very much depends on the parts and where you get them from. Mine was maybe around 3k in total but thats  just a good guess as I build an F14 homepit as well and so it was a big project in total.

Sorry, no pictures in public but maybe I will upload some videos of my whole setup in the future.

Great, thank you 🤟

can I ask you how is the sim-seat software integration working? Is there a custom software, drivers… how is it done?

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on the seat project very soon, I only hope that parts can be found in Europe also without issues.

Yes, some seats were already built in Europe (like mine) but some parts were tricky to get all over the world last year. One of them was a motor controller I waited for half a year - just check and it’s in stock, even cheaper right now. So don’t worry too much for that. The built takes some time of course and it’s a technical project but you get a great help from the founder and the people in the forum.