First Movie: Hawg Wild: Black Sea Battles

PoleCat

We (my wife Janet and I) have just finished our first Lock On movie. There are some definite imperfections as in any first work but we think it well done for a first effort. We set out to learn to make a movie by telling the story of a single two ship flight task flown by myself and a squadmate online. We feel we have to some small degree achieved that vision here. We have invested over 90 hour’s time in this learning process. It is eight minutes long, two songs in length. (Phil Collins and Rush)

We learned much about what we will do differently next time. Among them, half speed fraps caps to fix dropped frames issues, sound effects, higher resolution video, better quality audio and music, synchronization, more explosions ;-)and most of all we will never, ever, use Windows Movie Maker again on a complex project like this. At several points the whole thing was held together by nothing more than some chicken wire and chewing gum. It will surely be Sony Vegas from here on out.

We used this movie to learn to walk and we absolutely loved every grueling minute of it. Over the next few movies we will try to learn to run and then hopefully, with a lot of hard work and persistence, eventually "fly".

Thanks go out to all my squad mates in the 169th past and present for their unwavering support, to the Lock On community at large, and to Eagle Dynamics, without whom none of this would have been possible. :thumbup:

Download: Hawg Wild: Black Sea Battles

We both appreciate your taking the time to download and view it and we hope that you enjoy our first Lock On movie.

Paul and Janet

• Like 2

Getting it now. Can;t wait to check it out ;) .

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

well...here are some criticisms from me:

The movie first of all had fantastic camera angles. Well done. Very nice composition for a first movie

- I hated the music. I had to mute it. I could almost picture a better epic music soundtrack for those nice angles. It felt a bit too different from the movie being shown.

- The flyback home felt a bit too long. I would probably cut it down a lot and only save some nice angles of shots before the landing.

- Not a problem from your side...but lomac's sounds lack the effect. They just "suck". Has not feel of reality or power to them. I guess thats the reason why GA and all the other movie makers use other sounds to suppliment it.

Overall...very nice movie for your first attempt. :) As mentioned...better music kinda like epic Hans Zimmer music would really spice it up. ;)

WHISPR | Intel I7 5930K | Nvidia GTX980 4GB GDDR5 | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 730 series 512GB SSD | Thrustmaster WARTHOG | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR4 pro |

|A-10C|BS2 |CA|P-51 MUSTANG|UH-1H HUEY|MI-8 MTV2 |FC3|F5E|M2000C|AJS-37|FW190|BF 109K|Mig21|A-10:SSC,EWC|L-39|NEVADA|

• ED Team

I just saw your movie.

You had some pretty good camera angles, which is a good thing. In most movies, the camera angles alone ruins the entire movie, but your movie had the camera angles set up so you wouldn't loose interest.

The music choice, however, was not quite appropriate for this kind of movie. I have nothing against such music, but i didn't feel that it fit this kind of movie.

Overall, good movie. :)

PoleCat and WildCat

Very Well Done - Excellent Camera angles and a Story well told. Personally I rated the soundtrack - a welcome change from the Status Quo.

Thought the Soundtrack very well suited from the point-of-view of the Apprehension/Tension/Fear of entering Combat (Phil Collins) to the elation of a sortie successfully accomplished (Rush).

Only one comment: Thought that the transition between songs could have been a mite smoother.

Job well Done - definitely one for the Library :)

Can we expect a T-Frog in the next movie....?:D

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

It was good, and music wasn't terrible.

I noticed that you only shot mavericks. I thought it could have been better with different weapons. (the famous gun)

I thought it was interesting, though, that this was recorded from an actual online mission.

Overall, very good. Good enough to keep.

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Thank you very much GA. A postive review coming from a great movie maker like you is reason for us to celebrate! We are musicians and we are considering doing our own soundtrack for the next movie.

Thanks again for viewing!

Out

Great work!

Even GA can learn a lot from your movie (Actually I am not so a fan of his flashy and blurred style where you can’t see what is happening but this is of course personal feel).

About the music: it is personal taste too.

Phil Collins was my favorite artist during the Miami Vice period in the 80’ties but indeed it is today a little outdated but it suits perfect together with the slower A-10 flying.

My score: 9.5/10 :thumbup:

My advice: Make the switch to rendering and use HD 720p/1080p in the future (of course you better choose then the high poly 3D models like 25T and the BS in the future)

BTW, VirtualDub.exe is a free program and has practically no limits (it is way harder work to use compared with Windows Movie Maker of course)

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

:thumbup:

I liked the film and I liked music too .... but I will spare you another post on how the two fit together I think we have beat that horse long enough. That is great work for your first movie .

I , by no means, consider myself to be a pro at the movie making biz but it sure is fun to make them. And Id imagine you and your wife had fun making this movie. Furthermore its great to hear that others share the enthusiasm and I KNOW thats why you made this film ... I just want you to know that I really enjoyed your film. Thumbs up.

Tex

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Stream Stream Stream Stream! :):):)

Could somebody please re-render with different settings and host it on youtube or something?

Thanks..

Why does aussie broadband suck so bad?

There you go .. not youtube though .. I hate the Lo Res crap.

http://stage6.divx.com/Gamerztheatre-Flight-Machinima/video/1444519/Hawg-Wild

Also check out more flight sim machinima at Gamerztheatre ..

http://www.gamerztheatre.com/content/category/4/17/82/

or at my Stage 6 channel ..

http://stage6.divx.com/Gamerztheatre-Flight-Machinima

Gas

Hell, I'm impressed that your wife helped you!!!:cry:

I usually get the international single of "hands on hips" which means stop "playing" and spend time with your family!:music_whistling:

I must admit I am glad she does that from time to time.:thumbup:

I look forward to your movie. I am sure I will enjoy it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice video, I liked Phil Collins in the soundtrack, even if I'm not a fan, but this video could have been more interresting if the two pilots had tried to shoot the sams with the gun.

Actually I'm looking for some ideas to make my own video and I feel afraid of the amount of work it represent, so I will only say a word to finish : THANKS :thumbup:

Proud to be a [sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] :joystick::pilotfly::book:

Nice video, I liked Phil Collins in the soundtrack, even if I'm not a fan, but this video could have been more interresting if the two pilots had tried to shoot the sams with the gun.

Actually I'm looking for some ideas to make my own video and I feel afraid of the amount of work it represent, so I will only say a word to finish : THANKS :thumbup:

It is a daunting undertaking to start a movie, Strupie and Lil_donkey have been working on Sands of Fire now for over 2 years, Faith Hope and Charity took the same amout of time for the IL2 team that made that. However when you start making these movies you do not have to put the all the work that these fellas put in .. just make the movie for your self and/or your clan/group .. there is lots of pleasure to be had for doing this. Though I have to say that watching some of the more polished machinima that is being produced now by 15 or 16 y/o kids makes me think again before starting a new project.

Gas