Holy Oculus !!!

Svsmokey

What about if you turn msaa off, cranck up PD to 1.5 and activate FXAA on Nvidia control panel.

And I would rather having civ traffic on off and water low, with flat terrain shadows (terrain shadows add to the 3D effect when flying at medium-high altitute) and cockpit shadows off/low.

PS. I spent 6 months flying VR with a gtx 1060 3 Gb so I feel your struggle.

Thanks ! I will try the MSAA/PD suggestion . Re civvie traffic , i like so i'm not flying in New Orleans after Katrina .

Re water , killed me to drop from "high" . It was one of my first oo-ooh moments in DCS :)

I would love to have flat terrain shadows , but see no way to effect them with this card . Can't even run low cockpit shadows without breaking 45 fps .

Don't spend much time at med/high altitudes :) More like a cropduster's height- dodging wires !

Thanks again .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

45a31c7660c21c6e92f99056f50a607e.jpg

When I used my 1070 with VR this was my setting.

Single missions I created my self would easily go to 45 and more with the shaders mod.

Edit:

I loaded up DCS configuration manager and loaded setting I used in VR at the time and grabbed the screen above:

Edited by freehand

45a31c7660c21c6e92f99056f50a607e.jpg

When I used my 1070 with VR this was my setting.

Single missions I created my self would easily go to 45 and more with the shaders mod.

Edit:

I loaded up DCS configuration manager and loaded setting I used in VR at the time and grabbed the screen above:

Thanks ! What kind of PD were you running ? How was the aliasing ? Did SSAA actually do anything ? (Wags said it doesn't in VR , but some swear it does)

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks ! What kind of PD were you running ?

In DCS 1.4 to 1.5 show boating demos Oculus Trex demo e.t.c for friends PD 2

SSAA I left on so must of done something or I would of removed I can not remember but looked sweet to me.

Edited by freehand

Use MSAA, not SSAA in VR -it does nothing in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Here are my current DCS settings for reference/comment/suggestions for improvements . These give me a solid and smooth 45fps with ASW off (kp2) low/very low over anywhere in the Caucasus in the Hornet (except buzzing Kholki !) .

CPU turbo off

Nvidea Inspector -all settings default

All textures low

Visibility medium

Civilian traffic low

Water medium

Heat blur/motion blur off (haven't tested on)

Cockpit shadows flat

Cockpit displays 512

Terrain shadows off

Grass/clutter 750

Trees 50%

Chimney smoke off

Preload about 2/3 to the right

PD 1.3

MSAA 2x

Am I satisfied ? Heck no ! I would love to have flat terrain shadows , medium cockpit shadows and more than anything , more anti-aliasing . But the performance is about what I expected from a 1070 , and the experience is still amazing . I may consider upgrading to a 2070/2080 (and a 7700k) in the future , if i can gain a clear expectation of the benefits gained in terms of pd , aa , and terrain shadows , but those numbers are hard to come by . As to the 2080ti-not even in my dreams :)

Hm, weird, I'm running higher settings than you for textures and cockpit displays. But no shadows or civ tracffic.

You might also play with pre-load. In theory its just a ram thing, but I've read turning it down can improve framerates for VR.

And yeah, I've been shocked to see that some of the 2080 guys settings aren't that much higher and they are still only pulling 45 frames.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

In DCS 1.4 to 1.5 show boating demos Oculus Trex demo e.t.c for friends PD 2

SSAA I left on so must of done something or I would of removed I can not remember but looked sweet to me.

Thanks for going through all that trouble-much appreciated .

Hm, weird, I'm running higher settings than you for textures and cockpit displays. But no shadows or civ tracffic.

You might also play with pre-load. In theory its just a ram thing, but I've read turning it down can improve framerates for VR.

And yeah, I've been shocked to see that some of the 2080 guys settings aren't that much higher and they are still only pulling 45 frames.

Yeah , tells me there is a lot of room for code optimisation . I'll check the preload-thanks . I'm burning a lot of gpu power on antialiasing-a priority of mine- so yeah , i prolly could get more eye-candy . But i'm still not happy with aa , anyway , so may tweak it down a bit .

Edited by Svsmokey

Yeah , tells me there is a lot of room for code optimisation . I'll check the preload-thanks . I'm burning a lot of gpu power on antialiasing-a priority of mine- so yeah , i prolly could get more eye-candy . But i'm still not happy with aa , anyway , so may tweak it down a bit .

Yeah let us know. I still haven't tried a higher PD and no MSAA. FXAA when I tried it seemed to blur things, and I had a ton of shimer at 1.2pd, but way better frame rates. Where MSAA cost me nearly 30-50% of my frames (so from the 40's into the high 20's low 30's), FXAA only cost 3-5fps off my 45fps. This was before I was using the shader mod, but I found that MSAA+shaders looked way better than no shader mod + FXAA at the same PD.

My main priorities in order has been:

1: gauge/MFD readability/overall cockpit look.

2: reducing/eliminating shimmering objects (in the distance)

3: long distance "resolving power"

4: overall look of the game (trees/grass/etc)

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Yeah let us know. I still haven't tried a higher PD and no MSAA. FXAA when I tried it seemed to blur things, and I had a ton of shimer at 1.2pd, but way better frame rates. Where MSAA cost me nearly 30-50% of my frames (so from the 40's into the high 20's low 30's), FXAA only cost 3-5fps off my 45fps. This was before I was using the shader mod, but I found that MSAA+shaders looked way better than no shader mod + FXAA at the same PD.

My main priorities in order has been:

1: gauge/MFD readability/overall cockpit look.

2: reducing/eliminating shimmering objects (in the distance)

3: long distance "resolving power"

4: overall look of the game (trees/grass/etc)

Thanks for that . Guess I'll install Kegety's . I find your order of priority very like mine .

MSAA would crash my rig so no option for me at the time.

That should not be happening, have you looked into why?

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Shouldn't be an occulus issue. I'd guess gfx driver if anything.

Shouldn't be an occulus issue. I'd guess gfx driver if anything.

Fresh install was all I needed but I did not sell the headsets because of the issue I had.

High Shadows in cockpit and high water setting when on the carrier with shaders mod and scaling in cockpit worked very nicely.

No shadows in the pit & low water setting is a no no with the F 18 for me.

The reason I sold the Oculus both times was because I thought the grass was greener on the other side of the fence.

Edited by freehand

Thanks for that . Guess I'll install Kegety's . I find your order of priority very like mine .

I tried pd 1.5 and no msaa vs 1.2 with msaa 2x. It did look good, but not really that much better and frames were a bit lower for me.

I think you will find reading the dials in the pit is every ones priority :D

That and-for me at least-minimising shimmering :)

I tried pd 1.5 and no msaa vs 1.2 with msaa 2x. It did look good, but not really that much better and frames were a bit lower for me.

Never asked....Guesstimate frame gain with shader mod ?

EDIT : Dumb question . Saw answer in Kegety's OP .

Edited by Svsmokey

Two MAJOR enhancements to VR today . The first is that my lens protectors finally arrived , and i can now wear my glasses in VR :) The other is that i installed the "Lite" version of the shader mod . (Twice ! After a mistake the first time) :)

Boy ! Kegety's is everything it was reputed to be-especially in the light version . To my former settings below , i was able to add flat terrain shadows , cockpit shadows to low , cockpit displays to 1024 (in addition to the sharpness gained in the mod) , and at least a point of pd ( maybe 2) without any loss of performance or smoothness , and no artifacting .

DDI's are easily readable with a little lean-in . These are all preliminary results , and there may be further graphics enhancements possible , pending some tests to see what the CPU load is now .

("Old" settings)

All textures low

Visibility medium

Civilian traffic low

Water medium

Heat blur/motion blur off (haven't tested on)

Cockpit shadows flat

Cockpit displays 512

Terrain shadows off

Grass/clutter 750

Trees 50%

Chimney smoke off

Preload about 2/3 to the right

PD 1.3

MSAA 2x

EDIT: Old settings are new again . Just could NOT LIve with the horrible aliasing in the Caucasus-even in the view center . Tried Nevada 'cause there is not much to alias , and it looked horrific . Decided it isn't worth it for terrain shadows , and un-installed the mod .

Edited by Svsmokey

Never asked....Guesstimate frame gain with shader mod ?

EDIT : Dumb question . Saw answer in Kegety's OP .

I think he got like 30%. I think it was more like 20% for me. It let me turn on msaa, which helped alot.