T-Flight Hotas One

turbosteve81

Hey everyone. I am completely new to DCS and have been playing for about the last month or so. After years of watching videos of players on YouTube, I decided to scrap my old PC (non-gaming) I built 6 years ago and buy a true gaming PC. Definitely not the top of the line PC by any means, but it's definitely a huge jump from what I had prior. Anyhow, this past December my wife bought me the T-Flight Hotas One for my Xbox One as a gift. I used it a few times on the Xbox to play War Thunder, but then made the jump fully into DCS and haven't looked back. I'm still in the learning phase, but have a tremendous appreciation for the program itself and what it can do just short of the real thing. I've been using the Hotas One, and it works just fine for me as a starter setup. I do have to bind buttons depending on their overall importance, but that's okay. As a beginner, I'm hesitant to bite off more than I can chew by delving too much into the DCS world until I can fully grasp the gameplay.

My question to everyone is, how much better are other joystick and throttle combos I see mentioned everywhere? I know there are quite of few to list, and everyone will have their varied opinion on which is best. The Hotas One certainly feels like "play" setup, and not something intended for a true flight simulator in my opinion. Don't get wrong, it's a good setup, but when the stick starts making squeaking sounds during some movements, and the throttle seems to "giving" and lacks resistance, I wonder just how much better are the others compared to the Hotas One. At some point, I'll likely upgrade my setup, but for now it works. I do intend to mount the joysticks too if that matters much. The Hotas One does appear to have mounting provisions on the throttle side, but none on the stick side. This is probably because the stick side has a knob underneath to adjust resistance. Has anyone use the Hotas One and a "better" setup before who can talk about the pros and cons of each? I've spent time digging around for information, but can't find any strong leads.

Wheels up!

I can't comment on the T-Flight setup, but having had a variety of controllers over the years, it's my view that you definately get what you pay for. I would recommend you spend as much on your setup as you feel comfortable with.

More expensive controllers generally speaking have more buttons/axis, better sensors, last longer, and are mechanically smoother - sometimes with adjustability.

Particularly if you're into helos or WW2 planes, consider rudder pedals also.

Thank you for the feedback. I guess at this point, my next dilemma is based around which setup to buy. I realize everyone has their own tastes and asking for opinions may lead to bias and subjective information, but I’ve narrowed down to the Saitek/Logitech X55/56 and the Hotas Warthog. Granted these are two vastly different setups from what I gather, it at least gets me going in the right direction until said otherwise. I’m happy with Hotas One for now. It works, but once I can master the game and progress in other areas of my physical setup, I’ll grab a new joystick/throttle.

Perhaps, I’m looking at the wrong information, but I do see people using the Warthog setup on other aircraft, and not just the A-10, is this right? I know the HW is designed to mimic the actual setup in the A-10, so using it with the plane in DCS makes sense, but if I’m flying the F-18, F-15 or any other aircraft, will I be at any kind of disadvantage?

I used to have the Warthog. It has a huge number of buttons/axis and while they might not be in the right place for every plane there are enough to make do for most.

Thrustmaster market the Warthog as a high end product - it is not. It looks like it on the surface but is cheap underneath. That doesn't necessarily make it bad, but something to consider when choosing what to buy. I have not owned a Saitek/Logitech X55/56 - hopefully someone who has can compare to the Warthog and which offers the best value for money.

Warthog is by far the most popular setup on DCS . I personally wouldn't touch Saitek . I would without hesitation reccomend CH Pro throttle and Fighterstick . The pair offers a LOT of high-quality hats and switches and solid axes . Downsides are that CH does not offer a dual Hotas throttle , meaning one controls both engines , and they have no auxillary axes for slewing etc . However , like their rudder pedals , CH controllers last forever , and cost about 2/3 as much as a Warthog , meaning you can get the rudder pedals as well for the same price or a little less .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Warthog is by far the most popular setup on DCS . I personally wouldn't touch Saitek . I would without hesitation reccomend CH Pro throttle and Fighterstick . The pair offers a LOT of high-quality hats and switches and solid axes . Downsides are that CH does not offer a dual Hotas throttle , meaning one controls both engines , and they have no auxillary axes for slewing etc . However , like their rudder pedals , CH controllers last forever , and cost about 2/3 as much as a Warthog , meaning you can get the rudder pedals as well for the same price or a little less .

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't mean to drive this topic in a different direction, but can you all explain to me the purposed behind two separate throttles as in the case of the Warthog? I thought I knew aircraft, but this is one thing I honestly do not know. I would assume operation of one throttle would allow for a "subtle" increase in power versus using both at one time. Also, what is "slewing"? I've seen this mentioned across the forum, but have yet to find a solid answer to the meaning.

I'll look into the CH controllers. The next thing I do want to get for sure is a TrackIR5. This whole use the mouse or button on the stick just doesn't bode well with me. Takes my hand away from the stick or throttle each time I need to view around the aircraft.

Edited by turbosteve81

Thanks everyone for the information. I don't mean to drive this topic in a different direction, but can you all explain to me the purposed behind two separate throttles as in the case of the Warthog? I thought I knew aircraft, but this is one thing I honestly do not know. I would assume operation of one throttle would allow for a "subtle" increase in power versus using both at one time. Also, what is "slewing"? I've seen this mentioned across the forum, but have yet to find a solid answer to the meaning.

I'll look into the CH controllers. The next thing I do want to get for sure is a TrackIR5. This whole use the mouse or button on the stick just doesn't bode well with me. Takes my hand away from the stick or throttle each time I need to view around the aircraft.

Dual throttles for twin-engine aircraft such as the Hornet offer the possibility of "walking" which as you said , offers a finer control useful for air-to-air refueling and carrier approaches .

"Slewing" on some aircraft is the ability to "steer" the center of the radar beam ( and thus the entire beam) , or the seeker head of a maverick missle for example . The term is also sometimes used to mean moving the target designator for an air-to air or ground contact .

One other word on joysticks . Another factor to consider is desk-mount vs center-mount . A desk mount has a large base for stability , and works well as a side-stick , but if you wish to have the stick between your legs , the large base can be problematic with rudder pedals . My CH was fine for TrackIr flying , but since going VR , i prefer to have the stick as depicted in the cockpit , meaning center-mount for anything but an F-16 . (Sigh)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Dual throttles for twin-engine aircraft such as the Hornet offer the possibility of "walking" which as you said , offers a finer control useful for air-to-air refueling and carrier approaches .

"Slewing" on some aircraft is the ability to "steer" the center of the radar beam ( and thus the entire beam) , or the seeker head of a maverick missle for example . The term is also sometimes used to mean moving the target designator for an air-to air or ground contact .

One other word on joysticks . Another factor to consider is desk-mount vs center-mount . A desk mount has a large base for stability , and works well as a side-stick , but if you wish to have the stick between your legs , the large base can be problematic with rudder pedals . My CH was fine for TrackIr flying , but since going VR , i prefer to have the stick as depicted in the cockpit , meaning center-mount for anything but an F-16 . (Sigh)

Great info here. I do prefer using the flight stick in the center. With the Hotas One, I tried using it desktop and it just felt awkward. I always found that odd that the F-16 had the control stick on the right side as opposed to the center. I guess you get used to it over time as an F-16 pilot. For now, I have temporarily mounted my flight stick to a tripod and have my throttle sitting on the desktop to my left. It works, but certainly not something I plan to stick with for the long haul. I've thought about setting up a full cockpit simulation setting, minus the actual fuselage portion, but I don't really have the space for that type of setup. Not only that, but while I enjoy playing the game, I just don't think it would be wise for me at this juncture. I'm also considering other options like a seat with mounting locations for the throttle and stick, but I may end up just doing something custom and making my own setup. I definitely have some more thinking to do on the subject, especially considering your point about bases.:doh:

In the interest of fullness and clarity:

The Warthog costs roughly twice as much as the X56 and you need rudder pedals (sorta). But the X56 not only doesn't provide half of the value of a Warthog, it's not adequate to the task at all, in my opinion, after wasting a week trying to get any use out of it. If you can afford an X56 and your T Flite is doing an OKish job for now, then continue to use the T Flight a little longer while you save the other half for the Warthog because buying an X56 is just a waste of your money and you'll have to start saving all over again. Again, this is based on recent experience (like within the last 2 weeks). The difference between the Warthog and X56 in terms of quality and performance of the physical units and the software and documentation is beyond vast. The Warthog is everything you hope it will be and worth the wait. The X56 is junk at any price.

I am using a thrustmaster t-16000 set. I had an Saitek cyborg and one x-52 and if you compare it to the "cheap" thrustmaster set, the built quality is so much different. I mean all of them are made out of plastic, but the material difference is huge in my opinion. The TWCS set feels just right for 140 bucks, i paid less because my x52 died and i needed a replacement as soon as possible and ordered a used set for 115€. Still don't regret it best bang for your buck in this price range. If you want to invest in the future i would order a VKB or Virpil stick instead of the warthog, since the build quality of everything seems better on all reviews. But you won't get a set of VKB or Virpil Hotas for the same price as a warthog, thats for sure! And if you are into the A10 than its the best choice i think since all important buttons are on your hotas already.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick