[ RESOLVED] FPS drop with RADAR ALTIMETER on.

Sawydz

Greeting everyone, and sorry for my english.

Few days ago I have noticed strange bug. In short, when flying at low level with radar altimeter ON, my PFS drops from 50-80 to 14. FPS drops exactly at the moment when RAD ALT reading changes from **** to any value, so it happens on descend, or on tight turns.

What is strange, is that it does not happen right after take off, but only after some time spent flying, and the longer I'm flying at high level, the bigger FPS hit will be when I will descend to lower altitude.

I have created video showing what happens. Most of it is "spam" to spend some time. In this case I spent in air only abut 15 minutes, so FPS got cut to 24. The monet I turn RAD ALT off, fps goes back to proper level, and everything runs smoothly again.

Edited by Sawydz

Hey, that would actually explain some heavy FPS drops during landing approaches.

(I never had any FPS problems with other airplanes or helicopters!)

I couldn't make any sense of what this could be because it didn't always happen.

By the way, I always activated the radar altimeter.

I would never have thought of switching off the radar altimeter!

Thanks for the hint! I will try to test or confirm the days.

Edited by birkenmoped

When I noticed this bug, I started to turn everything off, one by one, to find what triggers it. At first I tought it was main radar, but later I found it's caused by radar altimeter.

Other strange thing is, and it's captured on video, that my FPS counter starts to indicate good performance (like about 50 fps), but graphics still stutters as if it was below 20.

I have created video showing what happens. Most of it is "spam" to spend some time. In this case I spent in air only abut 15 minutes, so FPS got cut to 24. The monet I turn RAD ALT off, fps goes back to proper level, and everything runs smoothly again.

Format OP's video link to make it viewable on the forum (15:22 seems a good example).

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 2 weeks later...

I can confirm that bug. I can reproduce it. It´s definitely the radar altimeter that causes massive fps drop. It´s not at the beginning of a mission, but after a while flying high. I can sometimes barely land with the radar altimeter on.

Data

Im experience the same.

After a long Hight altitude flight going low with Radar Alt ON is cutting my FPS to half, from steady 60 to 30.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Seriously ? -_-

All the Mirage pilots on my virtual squadron is experiencing this problem, the most active users of this subforum is reporting the same problem and you still need a track file to prove it ? Nobody on the dev team can fire up his game and go to instant action to check it by himself ? This will take less time than waiting for a track file from a user and reviewing it.

Please Razbam, you need to step up your game. Confidence is getting very low over here.

Edited by 33-DFTC

There are only two types of aircraft, fighters and targets. - Major Doyle "Wahoo" Nicholson, USMC

I will help with that Decoy.

Later i will attach one to help you. Thanks for your interest.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Seriously ? -_-

All the Mirage pilots on my virtual squadron is experiencing this problem, the most active users of this subforum is reporting the same problem and you still need a track file to prove it ?

Tracks are used to replicate the problem, saving the testers the hazzle and time to set up the exact conditions that lead to a bug. They have to replicated it over and over again, to find the actual component or part of the code that is responsible for the error.

It is not so much about (not) trusting a bug report, but easing and speeding up the process of testing. Seriously.

Ok =DECOY=

This is a track recorded with the FPS hit we are talking about.

The first 20 minutes is just a flight going high and doing orbits around 29.000 feet.

The next 10 minutes i was flying low doing different things with the FPS counter activated.

1.- Flying INSIDE Radar Altimeter readings with Radar Alt ON cuts my FPS from 60 to 40, heavy stutter moving my head and choppiness all around.

2.- Flying INSIDE Radar Altimeter readings with Radar Alt OFF makes my FPS recovered inmediatly.

3.- Flying INSIDE Radar Altimeter readings with Radar Alt ON but BANKING until the readings get lost makes the FPS recover. Returning to wings level INSIDE Radar Altimeter Readings with Radar Alt ON makes the FPS hit again.

4.- Starting low with FPS hit and going high until the Radar Alt readings are outside the radar altitude limits makes the FPS recovering again.

5.- Flying high outside Radar Alt readings limits with FPS normal and going low, the moment the Radar alt starts the readings makes the FPS again going low again.

https://mega.nz/#!RFAXCCpK!doHSeaEgs_crjdBPJqTk4uZhj7VtD1CYOdqQVZYfNKQ

Thanks a lot for your time looking at this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Radar altimeter bug is still present in 2.5.4.28615 Open Beta.

After 50 min of trouble free co-op gameplay, I came to land at Kobuleti RWY 07 and switched from ZB (barometric) to H (radar altimeter) - the frame rate dropped from 45 to 15. Switching back to ZB, the framerate returned to normal.

Edited by Ramsay
Add short video

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

• 5 weeks later...

Just grabbed it in the spring sale, can confirm: Radar Altimeter frame drop from ~80 to ~25 after a long mission still present in open beta 2.5.4.29585.

Disabling radar altimeter instantly brings FPS back.

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

It this really still a thing? Ive been flying the Mirage quite frequently the last couple of weeks, and I have yet to encounter it. And Im high alt for intercepts often, for quite some time, and then when coming in for landing, I switch Radar Alt on.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |