TrackIR or VR? why?

A 980Ti is actually massive hardware for some. Are you saying a 3 year old PC is Old?

Anything that's two generations old is old, no? We in the PC world, and especially in gaming, work at breakneck speed. No one is OBLIGATED to upgrade though.

And yes, I get that in some places, and for some folks 980Ti is a massive firepower. Just not in gaming.

But I think we let this thread run its course, no?

Let me explain... No, there is too much. Let me sum up: Some hate VR, Some love VR, some love 4K, some hate 4K. Some love TiR, some hate Tir (compared to VR). Some need physical switches, some don't. Some have massive compute, others do not.

Did I miss anything?

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

So it’s a lie that VR is demanding on your hardware? Maybe check out the Virtual Reality forum that’s one giant post of people with top end machines complaining about performance.

I play VR with a 1070. Not a bad gpu but neither the top of the list. I can be "quite satisfied" about dcs performance, but if I play il-2 box I have absolutely no problem even in the furball of dogfight. So yes, VR is quite demanding, but let's not confuse "VR performance" with "dcs performance".

Upgrading my GPU from a 980ti to a 1080ti made a bigger difference than upgrading my CPU.

Do you see a big difference in DCS VR? I'm considering a new rtx2070 but a lot of people here declare to have changed a lot of GPUs without noticing any significant difference. Since I play on a 1080p monitor and my 1070 is still at the top in that setting, I would change only for DCS, and if there's not so much difference I keep my "quite satisfying" 1070...

I play VR with a 1070. Not a bad gpu but neither the top of the list. I can be "quite satisfied" about dcs performance, but if I play il-2 box I have absolutely no problem even in the furball of dogfight. So yes, VR is quite demanding, but let's not confuse "VR performance" with "dcs performance".

Do you see a big difference in DCS VR? I'm considering a new rtx2070 but a lot of people here declare to have changed a lot of GPUs without noticing any significant difference. Since I play on a 1080p monitor and my 1070 is still at the top in that setting, I would change only for DCS, and if there's not so much difference I keep my "quite satisfying" 1070...

I upgraded from a 1060 3Gb to 1080 8Gb and changes were noticeable, Im very happy. I run a tight budget for VR so honestly I don´t even look at RTX prices lol.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Not sure about going to an RTX2070. According to some of the benchmarks I'm seeing on-line, the RTX2070 actually lags behind the 1080ti on a lot of them. Just like how the 1070 actually lagged behind the 980ti when they were the hot items. I had decided to do an incremental upgrade on my system, starting with the GPU. When I went from the 980ti to 1080ti, I noticed a big improvement in how high I could run my pixel density in DCS without sacrificing much in the way of frame rate, which eliminates most of the readability problems in the cockpit. When I upgraded my CPU from a 5960X to an 8700K, there wasn't really a noticeable difference, but I was squeezing a few more frames per second out of it. To be fair though, the overall performance improvement between those CPUs isn't all that significant according to benchmarks on-line.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Depends a lot on what one has feeding that 20x card. The beast needs to be fed.

On my i7 4820k rig, I saw very little improvement going from 1080 Ti to 2080 Ti.

Built a new rig 4 weeks ago, same 2080 Ti on an i9 9900k with DDR4 ram made a big difference.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Of course the additional improvement in picture quality between 1080p and 4k is negligible and only leads to more 4K monitor buyer's remorse, which they all too often want to take out on VR.

You crack me up. Anyone who defends their position is portraying buyer's remorse yet here you are pushing your VR experience. :lol::lol::lol:

Clearly, spending money is not an issue for me; just take a look at my blog in signature. Both my PC and setup are $$$. If I thought VR, even as an addon, would check the boxes that are important to me I would have pulled the trigger on it. Having tried it, to me it's a gimmick in the current state. I would buy it and it would sit on shelf - THAT would be buyers remorse.

To be clear, I'm not anti-VR. It just does not meet my need, yet. That's not to say in 5-10 years (hopefully sooner) it won't. I imagine at some point I'll move over to it; I just do not see it in the foreseeable future. But I like to be surprised.

46440222_10157317064815400_5815280792732958720_n_10157317064810400.jpg.45295ac0f230882026acc3dede779a2f.jpg

46437288_10157317064965400_8092408475239317504_n_10157317064960400.jpg.447075462233fcca6ac07021d6cfe439.jpg

image1.thumb.jpeg.62d9c9bdf1b6e9f44fec1a7ef84fce45.jpeg

Guppy, sitting in a mocked up cockpit and looking through a small window at another, miniature cockpit in a miniature world, is something a lot of us can't accept anymore.

I have no problem deploying the A-10C or the F-18 in VR without a feeling that my control is compromised. I don't know why you insist VR is a 'gimmick' beyond maybe a feeling of buyer's remorse.

I've got the TM Warthog HOTAS, JetSeat, TM pro rudders, all in a nice sim rig. All of the VR 'problems' people put forward, as part of their remorse, have all been solved.

When VR goes 4k, you'll have an 8k. You'll never be happy with VR until it equals or exceeds your monitor fidelity.

This thread is getting toxic ...It is none of my business what someone else chooses to fly ! Opinions regarding the pros and cons of TiR and VR are valuable , uninformed judgements of other's motives are not .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Of course the additional improvement in picture quality between 1080p and 4k is negligible and only leads to more 4K monitor buyer's remorse, which they all too often want to take out on VR.

Negligible? I take it you’ve never seen a 4K monitor then... the difference between 2160p and 1080p is greater than the difference between that and 720p

With UHDTVs and that viewing distance maybe. But a large PC screen that you are sitting close to, the extra resolution is very noticeable. Plus 4K makes larger screens look better and large 4K TVs are so cheap these days I’m sure they are more popular than monitors.

Flight sims look gorgeous in 4K. You can read every tiny instrument and see every bit of landscape detail. You can read the tail numbers on the other aircraft.

Then regarding picture quality there’s 4K+HDR (unfortunately not in this sim) but that’s an extreme improvement in picture quality. Games look fantastic in HDR

i9-14900KS | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Have both TIR and Rift CV1.

Track iR is in a box somewhere gathering dust. Rift is the only way I fly now.

Difference between taking a peek at the DCS world through a picture frame, or being IN the DCS world with VR.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

@guppy: you do not need VR because your simpit allows you to look at all the (phisical!) instruments at a glance. And you can click on them by hands. But of course your solution is a lot more expensive than just an hmd and a new vga.

@eaglecash867: 2070 is behind 1080ti, but 1070 is not behind 980ti. The gain in performance between 9XX series and 10XX series is higher than that between 10XX and 20XX series. For now. 20XX has got DLSS so its performance can raise a lot with time. Of course DCS will never support DLSS so this is not my (our) case. My CPU is i7 6700K @4,5 Ghz and my RAM 16GB DDR4 @3200 Mhz. And I do not think to change them for now. But I could upgrade to 32GB RAM, if needed. By just changing the VGA (from 1070 to 2070) do you think I can have an advantage?

The one thing I'll say here is that I was rather surprised how well my "low end" card (980mobile ~970 desktop) runs on VR. I've seen FragBum and other guys with much higher end gfx/cpu's than mine, and it seems like they aren't really running that much higher settings, in fact I've used their settings, and yes my frames drop by like half but those cards should be more like 3-4x better than my current one. So I'm really sort-of baffled by that data point.

To that end I'm planning an upgrade somewhere in Q2/Q3, to a 9700k/2070 or 2080 platform. And yes the 2070 should be about par with the 1080 (non ti) from what I'm seeing in terms of performance metrics the 1080ti should be a bit better.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Guppy, sitting in a mocked up cockpit and looking through a small window at another, miniature cockpit in a miniature world, is something a lot of us can't accept anymore.

I have no problem deploying the A-10C or the F-18 in VR without a feeling that my control is compromised. I don't know why you insist VR is a 'gimmick' beyond maybe a feeling of buyer's remorse.

I've got the TM Warthog HOTAS, JetSeat, TM pro rudders, all in a nice sim rig. All of the VR 'problems' people put forward, as part of their remorse, have all been solved.

When VR goes 4k, you'll have an 8k. You'll never be happy with VR until it equals or exceeds your monitor fidelity.

They have been solved for YOU. Which, again I think is great. I'm talking about MY experience and what is important to ME. I think you have a very difficult time understanding that people might have different priorities or put heavier weight on certain aspects than you do. It's okay that I think it's a gimmick. It's okay you think it is greater than sliced bread. It's not there yet for me.

I'll never be happy with VR until it gives me better interfaces for controls - period. OR allows me to better utilize my existing setup. It works for you - great! Not everyone is aligned with you.

As a side note - I could not imagine ever talking politics with you. hahaha

2070 should Be somewhere between 1080 and 1080ti, at least for dcs. The advantage of 2070 Is a lower price than 1080ti, ray tracing support but above all dlss, that could boost the performance somewhere near the 1080ti when supported (not in dcs). Maybe a 2080 Is a better choice, but the price Is near the 1080ti and It deserves a 1440p monitor, so more money I do not want to spend. I'm quite fine with 1070 for now, 500 bucks to boost dcs performance Is something I could afford, 1600 bucks for a new vga and a new monitor not, I prefer to wait and change all my rig later. What I'd like to figure out Is now much Is the gain with a 2070. Because It does not make sense to spend 500 bucks to have more or less the same FPS. If so I keep my 1070.

Nessuno, is there something official from ED about not supporting DLSS?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

They have been solved for YOU. Which, again I think is great. I'm talking about MY experience and what is important to ME. I think you have a very difficult time understanding that people might have different priorities or put heavier weight on certain aspects than you do. It's okay that I think it's a gimmick. It's okay you think it is greater than sliced bread. It's not there yet for me.

I'll never be happy with VR until it gives me better interfaces for controls - period. OR allows me to better utilize my existing setup. It works for you - great! Not everyone is aligned with you.

As a side note - I could not imagine ever talking politics with you. hahaha

I suppose if you've paid out all the money for all those buttons, you're gonna wanna press 'em.

You crack me up. Anyone who defends their position is portraying buyer's remorse yet here you are pushing your VR experience. :lol::lol::lol:

Clearly, spending money is not an issue for me; just take a look at my blog in signature. Both my PC and setup are $$$. If I thought VR, even as an addon, would check the boxes that are important to me I would have pulled the trigger on it. Having tried it, to me it's a gimmick in the current state. I would buy it and it would sit on shelf - THAT would be buyers remorse.

To be clear, I'm not anti-VR. It just does not meet my need, yet. That's not to say in 5-10 years (hopefully sooner) it won't. I imagine at some point I'll move over to it; I just do not see it in the foreseeable future. But I like to be surprised.

Hi little off topic but where did you source your wall art please ?

Hi little off topic but where did you source your wall art please ?

Anything off-topic is much appreciated and encouraged!

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Nessuno, is there something official from ED about not supporting DLSS?

Not specific to DLSS, but ED has always maintained that vendor specific technologies will not be included.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Not specific to DLSS, but ED has always maintained that vendor specific technologies will not be included.

Got it, that makes sense to a point. And at this point its probably not worth the trouble. But it might become a big deal for VR down the road.

For me, I prefer TrackIR. The limitation VR has is that it does not really enable you to have a working physical cockpit with buttons/switches all over the place. I run a simpit where I have a functioning/customized touchscreen UFC. Having VR would not enable to me use this. I never have to touch a mouse/keyboard for any functions. VR is great if you keep things relatively simple. That is, only mapping things to your HOTAS and maybe a couple of MFD button panels. But you would have to break immersion by reaching for a mouse, doing auto starts and what not. Everything has pros/cons.

I used VR and I was not impressed. I mean, I was impressed with the theory and the potential future of it, but in my mind, having a SimPit+TrackIR is far better than VR. That's my opinion though.

Same here.

I’m still using VR for DCS, but it’s only for relatively simple flights which don’t require heavy button control and data reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk