Bring 90FPS VR back

orbelosul

I am a little confused. I have a 1080Ti and run high settings, 2x MSAA with 200% SS in steam and I get around 11ms to 16ms in Caucasus which seems pretty good compared to what others here are getting. Although in Persian Gulf I can even cross the magic 22 ms barrier which is when I start noticing stuttering.

Am I missing something here?

I am a little confused. I have a 1080Ti and run high settings, 2x MSAA with 200% SS in steam and I get around 11ms to 16ms in Caucasus which seems pretty good compared to what others here are getting. Although in Persian Gulf I can even cross the magic 22 ms barrier which is when I start noticing stuttering.

Am I missing something here?

200%ss in steamVR correspound to approx 1.4 pixel density in DCS, and that number is OK with a 1080Ti to allow more than 45 fps (or less than 22.2ms timeframe) very most of the time (But with balanced other settings in DCS of course, if you max out everything else it won't !).

200%ss in steamVR correspound to approx 1.4 pixel density in DCS, and that number is OK with a 1080Ti to allow more than 45 fps (or less than 22.2ms timeframe) very most of the time (But with balanced other settings in DCS of course, if you max out everything else it won't !).

This is incorrect, SteamVR SS of 200% is equivalent to PD of 2.0.

It is very confusing the way this is now stated. 50% is 'native resolution'. (Logically, one would think it would be 100%, but there we are.)

In my Vive Pro case, these are the figures PER EYE (with a little approximations):

SteamVR SS

50% 1440x1600= 2.3m pixels (native res)

100% 2160x2400= 5.2m pixels

200% 2880x3200=9.2m pixels

DCS PD

1.0 1440x1600=2.3m

1.5 2160x2400=5.2m

2.0 2880x3200=9.2m.

So, SteamVR SS of 200% is equivalent to DCS PD of 2.0.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Oh, ok. Thanks! I guess I was confusing SS and PD to be the same thing. I thought 200% SS = 2.0 PD.

It seems they have a squared relationship then? 1.4^2 = 1.96 or about 2.0. So SS is the number of pixels as a percentage of base while and PD is then the fractional increase in each of the x and y resolutions.

imacken it's something that would need to be properly verified, and probably you're right I've not verified myself.

I said that according to someone else statement that seems to be true :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3412391&postcount=21

(I don't know how he verified this, probably with an overlay, because steamVR's numbers/resolution below the supersampling bar seem wrong)

EDIT : I've just tried with debug tool overlay and I have even completely different results :

SVR 150%ss = 2.01 pixel Density

SVR 200%ss = 2.32 pixel Density

SVR 50%ss = 1.16 pixel Density

At least it's confusing lol

Edited by toutenglisse

imacken it's something that would need to be properly verified, and probably you're right I've not verified myself.

I said that according to someone else statement that seems to be true :

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3412391&postcount=21

(I don't know how he verified this, probably with an overlay, because steamVR's numbers/resolution below the supersampling bar seem wrong)

EDIT : I've just tried with debug tool overlay and I have even completely different results :

SVR 150%ss = 2.01 pixel Density

SVR 200%ss = 2.32 pixel Density

SVR 50%ss = 1.16 pixel Density

At least it's confusing lol

Here is the proof of the Steam pixel count. I know it's right by making comparisons with performance.

This was discussed in detail in another thread here. Can't remember where though.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Just did another test with a game that use steamVR instead of oculus if wanted : aerofly fs2

200% supersampling in steamVR and native 1.0 ingame gives me on overlay (debug tool) 1.43 pixel Density (and that correspound to previous statement I refered to)

confusing….

(did this test because I can't run DCS with steamVR… only oculus)

EDIT : BTW when I say 1.4 PD in DCS is ok for a 1080Ti it's idiot, because that varies with what the native resolution of your HMD is …

EDIT 2 : same test with il2 BOS : 200% ss in steamVR gives, ingame, 1.43 pixel Density according Debug Tool overlay.

And when SteamVR home is launching with 200%ss, at first overlay says 1.43 pixel Density (at this moment in HMD you only see "grey world" with checkboard on ground and oculus sensor drawn in front of you), and then when steamVR home appears the overlay says 2.32 pixel Density, so steamVR home maybe use an Added supersampling for "home" the same way oculus home use an antialiasing for home rendering. But as soon as you are in a game, with 200%ss, overlay says 1.43 so I think it's like that.

And like TheRBT said, it's logical because 200% resolution is the same (in math) than 1.43 PD (1.43 (horiz.) x 1.43 (vert.) = 2 (2 times the resolution / 200% resolution).

Edited by toutenglisse