So torn......

Capn Penguin

I am so torn... My original computer had some issues and it never did run correctly. I did most of my flying (98%) or more in VR because of the functionality and wow factor. I had to return the other rig and the new one arrived yesterday. I was finally able to spool up DCS in 4K on my 55 inch TV and my jaw hit the floor. It is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Spotting targets many miles further out, clarity of HUD and instruments, you name it. It is an amazing experience.

So now I am so torn.... VR for the functionality or Pancake for the absolute visual spectacle that is DCS.

Dangit maybe I need to try Track IR as the middle ground.

Cap'n Penguin

a.k.a. Lawndart extraordinaire

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If you are using a monitor you almoat have to use headtracking - I say almost because there are a few extremely good pilots using thumbstick/snap views for looking around, but to get to look around the cockpit freely (and freeing up the thumbstick for, say, trim) is paramount for most players.

Why not do both, VR and Tir?

Regards,

MikeMikeJuliet

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Because they're mutually exclusive? You don't need TrackIR if you are wearing a headset as it has integrated positioning.

I've used the headsets in the past, the immersion factor is amazing, but the tech is really not 'there' yet. It needs to be several times the resolution it is in order to be truly useful/competitive. I ended up selling mine. With a sufficiently large/close screen and a properly calibrated TrackIR setup, it's a close second for 'fun' factor, but much more functional for a sim revolving around 'spotting dots miles away'.

I recommend personally a 34-35'' curved 3440x1440 screen until the VR tech matures. Be advised, TrackIR does take a little while to get used to, it's not as 'natural' as VR of course, and your mileage will vary depending on how you configure it.

For example, I have mine set where turning my head to the left of the screen brings 180' just onto the very edge of the screen. I try to keep it 1-to-1 and avoid 'the Exorcist' tendency you can get where your ingame view is turn past 180 or other 'unnatural' movements.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If I may...

I am not hopping on the VR bandwagon because it is still in it's infancy so far as I am concerned.

Try TrackHat Clip with Opentrack, it is bliss!

Edited by METEOP
forgot to specify which bracket I am using

METEOP

i5-6600K OC@4.5Ghz, GTX 1070 OC, 32Gb RAM, M.2 NVMe SSD

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

I fly DCS only in VR, because of the immersion. But if you're going 2D, then indeed TrackIR is the way to go. Regardless of what folks say here, enjoy DCS your way!

I usually follow this rule. DCS = VR, ArmA3 type games = TrackIR :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

track ir and monitor/big tv, prefer every time than vr

VR is quite an experience but I will take my 4k monitor over the current VR solutions, every time.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Because they're mutually exclusive? You don't need TrackIR if you are wearing a headset as it has integrated positioning.

I've used the headsets in the past, the immersion factor is amazing, but the tech is really not 'there' yet. It needs to be several times the resolution it is in order to be truly useful/competitive. I ended up selling mine. With a sufficiently large/close screen and a properly calibrated TrackIR setup, it's a close second for 'fun' factor, but much more functional for a sim revolving around 'spotting dots miles away'.

I recommend personally a 34-35'' curved 3440x1440 screen until the VR tech matures. Be advised, TrackIR does take a little while to get used to, it's not as 'natural' as VR of course, and your mileage will vary depending on how you configure it.

For example, I have mine set where turning my head to the left of the screen brings 180' just onto the very edge of the screen. I try to keep it 1-to-1 and avoid 'the Exorcist' tendency you can get where your ingame view is turn past 180 or other 'unnatural' movements.

I meant use both systems - fly at times in VR, at times on desktop. If one already owns everything else except for the TIR/equivalent then why choose. VR is amazing for many things, but if you want to see what you are doing instrumentwse then monitor ia the way to go.

DCS Finland | SF squadron

Okey Dokey. Track ir ordered on Amazon Prime for Monday delivery. Guess I'll go watch some set up videos.I know I will end up using both. I do really enjoy the vr, it is so much better than I thought it would be, but the details and Mark 1 eyeball abilities you lose is massive.

Thanks all.

Cap'n Penguin

i9-9900K Processor - 120mm Liquid Cooling System - 32G (8 GB x 4) DDR4-3200MHz - Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - 11GB - 1 TB Western Digital Blue SSD - Motherboard (MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk) - Corsair RMX850 PSU - Windows 10 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Oculus Rift S - Old Lawn chair

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Okey DOkey Trackir guys and gals. I have a question. I ordered on AP the Track IR set up but there is also a Trackir 5 opticalbudle that includes head trackclip pro. Is that the better option?

I know it's a stupid question but I have zero experience with track ir.

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The pro clip provides an infrared light source attached to your headset . The trackclip is a reflector unit typically mounted to a ball cap bill . I find the pro clip to give more stable tracking . However the trackclip may be entirely adequate if the camera does not face windows or room lamps . You can also try the trackclip , and if unsatisfactory , order the proclip separately .

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

And a third option is to get a wireless battery-powered clip , sold through these forums . I have no experience with these .

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=159647

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Will be delivered thus afternoon. Any advice on the set-up?

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing special . One thing i would point out is the Hotkeys Action setting on the left of the screen . These functions can be bound directly to joystick buttons , avoiding conflicts with DCS F-key functions . This has confused some as the TiR functions are by default F-keys as well . You'll want to bind "center" for sure (re-centers view)

, and a lot of guys like to bind "pause" as well .

Never tried the TrackIR software but the software makes a difference.

I've tried the Opentrack that came with the Trackhat Clip and on my system it was ok but kind of choppy at times, and the worst regarding delay.

Freetrack does not work anymore I think, no maintenance either.

FaceTrackNOIR was better than the Trackhat Opentrack, much smoother especially when the framerate goes a bit lower

But the best on my rig is Opentrack, the latest revision not from Trackhat, it seems to be using some parts of FacetrackNOIR as with the IR input module. So smooth and delay is much better!

METEOP

Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Rudder Pro, Trackhat Clip, 1080p projector, Custom touchscreen rig, Ikarus touchscreen panel, Voice Attack, ReShade, Simshaker Aviator

Coolio thanks

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

If there was an option for VR with 2D rendering, VR would function like a really aweseome trackIR, with much of the immersion, but without the depth of 3D, then we would be able to run DCS with the visuals maxed out in VR.

The one to one mapping only works with VR. Unless you happen to have a 360 screen setup (that still doesn't cover the vertical view)

TrackIR was awesome in its days. It became irrelevant because of VR - for me.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Good stuff. I have been away for a few days but today the Track IR went up, I had to get a USB extension cord, but I have been tinkering with it in ED and DCS. I have to say that I am very impressed and actually kinda giddy.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing that compares to the VR experience but sitting here in my game room, with all lights off and the 55 inch 4k DCS on with this TI thing is way cooler than I expected. I know I will end up doing a bit of both, the Track IR will be the mainstay for ED, but boy oh boy am I torn on DCS. I love the resolution but I love the VR.

So in other words now I'm even more torn :)

Oh am I worthless

Cap'n Penguin

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cap'n maybe I have a suggestion for your dilemma.

I am using myself a ~90" diagonal, cylindrical curved projector screen.

When I'm in my rig, I am sitting at about 5' distance from the screen. The screen completely covers my field of view.

So in essence, it is a virtual 'VR', after a few short minutes my brain wrapped around the concept and the immersion is very much to my liking.

METEOP