Keep getting my ass handed to me in the first mission of the mini campaign

Martik

This mission is killing me. It’s the one where you’re loaded down with six Sparrows and a couple of 9Ms and you’re going after four Su-24s and their covering MiG-29s going after your carrier group.

I take off and head in the threat direction, usually using burner to get up to around 15,000 feet quickly. Then, using my radar in Sparrow mode, I get a quick lock on an inbound target. As soon as I launch by Sparrow, usually at around 9-11 miles, the targets get clearer and it quickly becomes apparent that I’ve gone after one of the more distant Su-24s rather than the MiG-29s who, by this point, are much closer to me and are firing before I have much of a chance to react.

Any suggestions on strategy for this mission? Should I wait to get closer and pick off the MiG-29s in visual range with a Sparrow? Even closer with a Sidewinder? Should I be prosecuting the at BVR with a more refined technique? Should I be flying rubber dog shit out of Hong Kong?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

You can allways load out with Aim-120's to make BVR easier.

Fire your first 120 deselect and lock up another target then fire again.

At that point you can either merge or run back toward the boats for SAM support.

Also make sure to have your wingman active so he will also engage targets to take the load off you.

The Migs are the only real issue the SU's are not much of a threat.

Load up full amraam, Sparrow’s are useless. LACQ on the JHMCS, and fire away.. should get out of it fine.

what I did as well...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

After at least 10 times trying, I gave my wingman the engage bandits command as soon as it took off. I followed him couple miles behind him and watched him do a far better job than I ever could. I picked up the ones left.

In other words, you can use your wungman as cannon fodder :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Work your radar and your intercept geometry, you can perfectly go around them and attack from the side and behind. Destroy mig 29s first, clear the rest after that.

This is just a tactic but you can also do a frontal atack, the important thing is to clear mig29s first. I passed that mission 2 days ago going frontal and full 90s style, no jhmcs.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Edited by falcon_120

I just realized i have the tacview from the 9th, though looking at it (I didnt after passsing the mission), it would be a good of example of how you should not do it XD, i lost sight of a bandit right at me 6 the whole engagement, though luckily for me he did not shot me down and my wingman took it down.

I attach the tacview file, but i will replay the mission with better performance from my side :p

Tacview-20190109-203445-DCS-Hornet 1989-Alert 5.zip.rar