In-Game Scratchpad Mod Available - Works Great In VR!

Fubarbrickdust

No, it’s a ScratchPad thread.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 1 month later...

Hey guyz.It does not work for me anyone can help?I press Lctrl+Lshift+X and nothing.Installed at <<<C:\Users\MyName\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts...I tested on multyplayer nothing

EDIT

i fix it.Installion directions is wrong.You have to put to files to work.

Put Scratchpad file at C:\Users\YOUR Name \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts

and scratchpad-hook.lua at C:\Users\YOUR Name \Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Scripts\Hooks

Lctrl+Lshift+X

Edited by slowmover

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm using Chic's profile with Occulus rift. I'm struggling to get the cursor to focus on the pad. The cursor appears in the centre of the screen and I can manually move it sometimes but not very often. I have my scratch pad top left, how would I make my cursor appear there?

Cheers

Andrew

After 5 min of looking it turns out it's all very simple, but I'll leave this here in case anyone's looking.

Run DCS and jump in cockpit and open scratch pad. (do this out of VR)

In VAttack open profile, edit scratch pad focus.

Enter new mouse position using the Mouse Tab to the left, click application window coordinates button and set position (top right), Press F8 and save.

All simple.

And thank you Chic, I'm enjoying your profile and N96 for scratch pad.

VoiceAttackHelp.pdf

Edited by Andrew u.k.

Hi,

I'm using Chic's profile with Occulus rift. I'm struggling to get the cursor to focus on the pad. The cursor appears in the centre of the screen and I can manually move it sometimes but not very often. I have my scratch pad top left, how would I make my cursor appear there?

Cheers

Andrew

After 5 min of looking it turns out it's all very simple, but I'll leave this here in case anyone's looking.

Run DCS and jump in cockpit and open scratch pad. (do this out of VR)

In VAttack open profile, edit scratch pad focus.

Enter new mouse position using the Mouse Tab to the left, click application window coordinates button and set position (top right), Press F8 and save.

All simple.

And thank you Chic, I'm enjoying your profile and N96 for scratch pad.

My Man!

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Actually a new problem is arising, I run VR and I usually ALT+ENTER to fullscreen it, when doing that even adjusting the mouse cursor to primary window doesn't seem to work, it will go relative to my heads position, any ideas?

Works like a charm...I found this in a post by TOViper:

1.) first switch back to desktop mode (using ALT+ENTER)

2.) go to options and disable "Cursor confined to ...", but leave open the menu!

3.) Switch to full screen by pressing ALT+ENTER

4.) then enable the option again

5.) leave the menu

I don't use Voce Attack, because DCS doesn't play well with non-US keyboards (RACISTS!! :D ).

However, "there is another" - O. W. Kenobi

Press F10 to get the overview map. There you will always see the mouse pointer. It cannot hide; only be turned off.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I don't use Voce Attack, because DCS doesn't play well with non-US keyboards (RACISTS!! :D ).

I use VoiceAttack with german keyboard layout without any problems!?

Sure you have to find the right keys (like y/z etc.), but that's not a big deal.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

I use VoiceAttack with german keyboard layout without any problems!?

Sure you have to find the right keys (like y/z etc.), but that's not a big deal.

It's been quite a while, but IIRC I was using VIACOM2 with the P-51D and could never get it to really work well and much of it had to do with some craziness between VA, DCS and my keyboard and arguments that I had with Hollywood that entering '\' using the Germany keyboard by pressing the '\' (actually <AltGr><ß>) key would not work, but pressing the 'Ä' key on my German keyboard (same key pressed on a US keyboard to get '\') would work, at least visually, but not when running the script, which made no sense to me at all, because why should VA even know I'm using it to edit a script for DCS and to somehow interpret a US keyboard because DCS only knows US keyboards. I couldn't get Hollywood to believe me, and I couldn't get what I was doing to work without his help, so I dropped it.

Whatever it was I was trying to do back then --I don't even really recall-- I never got it working, so only half of what I wanted to do with VA worked so I dropped it for a fully to look for a working solution.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I put together a beefed up VoiceAttack program that allows you to dictate hands free to ScratchPad. You can also opt to hear an audio playback of your dictation if you want to bypass ScratchPad. The playback will loop10 times or until you Say ENOUGH. It bypasses Windows Clipboard and handles all the text editing and window focus issues as well. Currently, the ScratchPad component is working in 2D but I'm not sure how its workin in VR. I'm not in VR any longer so I can't troubleshoot. Feel free to work on it and share. Please report bugs.

THANK YOU n26 for ScratchPad.

Update: The profile now working in VR. Profile version & ReadMe updated.

Huge thanks to N26 and Chic for this. I followed all the directions and have the mod installed and chic's profile loaded. All works fine except the transcribe command. Scratchpad opens and closes fine and the dictation voice prompt works (Begin and end dictation). But I can't get the "transcribe" command to work. When I say end dictation and then say TRANSCRIBE.... it cycles the hook on the F/A-18 and no text in the SP window appears. The SP window is definitely open per the readme caution at the bottom. Any idea what I'm doing wrong????

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

Huge thanks to N26 and Chic for this. I followed all the directions and have the mod installed and chic's profile loaded. All works fine except the transcribe command. Scratchpad opens and closes fine and the dictation voice prompt works (Begin and end dictation). But I can't get the "transcribe" command to work. When I say end dictation and then say TRANSCRIBE.... it cycles the hook on the F/A-18 and no text in the SP window appears. The SP window is definitely open per the readme caution at the bottom. Any idea what I'm doing wrong????
Have you got a keybind conflict?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Have you got a keybind conflict?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’m sure that’s it. But the key bind for the Hook is H. What is the key bins for Transcribe? I could find the actual key press for that in Chic’s VA profile.

System HW: i9-9900K @5ghz, MSI 11GB RTX-2080-Ti Trio, G-Skill 32GB RAM, Reverb HMD, Steam VR, TM Warthog Hotas Stick & Throttle, TM F/A-18 Stick grip add-on, TM TFRP pedals. SW: 2.5.6 OB

The only key that the TRANSCRIBE command inputs is the Down Arrow key (24 times) and, of course, the dictation text.

Does the SP window disappear when you say TRANSCRIBE?

If it does, then your SP window is not in the Center of your "Screen".

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS

The only key that the TRANSCRIBE command inputs is the Down Arrow key (24 times).

Does the SP window disappear when you say TRANSCRIBE?

If it does, then your SP window is not in the Center of your "Screen".

No, the SP window stays visible when I say "TRANSCRIBE" but nothing happens except the hook goes down or up each time I say it.

Do I need to do an additional step to get the SP window to be in focus first?

No additional steps. Try the following.

Before you say TRANSCRIBE, confirm that the cursor is over the SP.

Another test is to come out of DCS and focus on any notepad to see what keys if any are being output by VoiceAttack when you say TRANSCRIBE.

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS

Other thoughts.

Do you have any other VA commands that sound like TRANSCRIBE?

Do you use PointControl?

Edited by Chic

JUST CHOPPERS

Another test is to come out of DCS and focus on any notepad to see what keys if any are being output by VoiceAttack when you say TRANSCRIBE.

Cool, I'll try that soon when I am back on the computer.

Other thoughts.

Do you have any other VA commands that sound like TRANSCRIBE?

Do you use PointControl?

No, no Point control. And I'll have to dig through the VA profile. I essentially am using 100% Bailey's v2.0 for the Hornet plus your add-on for SP. Nothing else. I'll have to go scroll through it to see. Good idea, thanks.

Try just using my profile straight up. No other VA commands.

JUST CHOPPERS

Ok, played around with VA and the SP quite a bit last night trying to run several different permutations and found some interesting results. I finally got SP transcribe to work, but the only way to do it was to manually place the mouse cursor in the open SP window in game and click it so the little flashing cursor was there as if I was going to manually type from the keyboard. At that point, I could transcribe and it would properly dump the dictation into the SP window. If I tried the command "Focus scratchpad", the white dot (VR mouse cursor in DCS) would jump to the middle of the screen outside of SP and transcribe would no longer work. If I again manually clicked inside the SP window, transcribe worked fine. I have no issues with this, but the "focus scratchpad" doesn't seem to do what your README text says it does, unless I'm misunderstanding something. No big deal though.

The other thing I found was that in game while flying, the dictation worked much better. It would for instance transcribe a full set of Lat/Long coordinates. However, it I was in the F10 map window and trying to put several different sets of tgt coordinates into a SP window for later use while flying, the dictation and transcribe worked as above. However, the first half of the Northing would be totally cut off. For instance if I said: "North 36 27 45.69, West 115 22 11.33", it would transcribe something like 45.69 West 115.....". I'm not sure why its cutting off the first portion in F10 but not in regular flight.

Finally, and while not a big deal it's just annoying - when I dictate coordinates like the above, when I transcribe into the SP window, it displays it like this:

North

West

I'm trying to speak slowly and clearly (but not too slow), so maybe it's taking my natural pauses as a new line. Anyone else see this?

Overall, I love it. Both the SP (thanks n26) as well as your profile Chic!! Once I get good with it in conjunction with VA - this is the best tool I've found for VR.

FYI, VoiceAttack places the cursor over the SP then Left Clicks to acquire SP focus.

As noted in the last paragraph of the ReadMe, you can relocate your SP window to line up with the cursor position rendered by the SCRATCHPAD, FOCUS SCRATCHPAD, CLEAR SCRATCHPAD commands. That would be Center Screen with the default setting for the profile. Alternatively, you can edit those 3 commands so that the cursor finds the SP at your preferred location.

JUST CHOPPERS

• 2 weeks later...

Multiplayer user

Could you please somebody tell me what is the reason of the quick coord insert feature is not working in multiplayer? I know that is the expected behavior, but I don't know why! This feature would be very userfull in multiplayer.

Thanks.

Because, on multiplayer, the client and server parts are on separate machines, in a different network.

That means that it is impossible to call lua code from the client space to the server space.

In single player, it becomes possible because the two spaces are merged on the same machine.

That's what I understood anyway. I may be wrong of course, please correct me in this case.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I'm glad to see this once again! I didn't have much use for it on a flat screen because I just used a pen and paper often. Looking forward to using it quite a a bit in VR.

FjRFBWj.jpg

I prefer to use VA addons like this as Global Profiles so that they are always available no matter which profile I am using.

Edited by Bailey